Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    is it true that the british secret service are monitoring students are QM because of their supposed affiliations with terrorist organisations?...just a rumour i've heard! On this note, i'd suspect social scene at Kings would be better, and safer too! :rolleyes:
    Wouldn't surprise me, our Islamic society is pretty much the largest and most active soc at the university and lets just say some of them have rather questionable views. It's something all the London unis have an issue with, lets not remember UCL nearly produced a suicide bomber.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    is it true that the british secret service are monitoring students are QM because of their supposed affiliations with terrorist organisations?...just a rumour i've heard! On this note, i'd suspect social scene at Kings would be better, and safer too! :rolleyes:
    Yes this is true. Everybody here knows it, they're always walking around campus with their monitoring equipment and their jackets with SECRET Service emblazened across the back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Yes this is true. Everybody here knows it, they're always walking around campus with their monitoring equipment and their jackets with SECRET Service emblazened across the back.
    Oh really, and is it so, that your mum walks around with the slogan "****" emblazed on the back of her jacket? No need for sarcasm young chap, i was making a very valid point re: islamic soc at QM which the poster above obviously knows more about than you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    I prefer more alt rock and metal* rather than hipster stuff and dance music. The problem with London is the hipster stuff is more than catered for with places like Shoreditch. Then you veer to the other extreme with Camden which is like really alt, punks, goths, LGBT etc; and of course there's Ministry and all that for dancey stuff. There's also places in Shoreditch and around for stuff like dub, which I don't mind but it's hardly my favourite thing in the world.

While there's not exactly any bars and clubs in my hometown that plays the music I like, they're at least cheap and easily accesible. London mainstream clubs are full of ********s, expensive and when living in the East End a ***** to get back from because our decaying underground system can't run 24/7 like New York's :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I love London as a city, the cultural stuff, the historical stuff and museums etc. I just really don't dig the nightlife and think it's hugely overrated. I've been out in Cardiff and Bristol and had much better nights than anywhere in London. Hell I've had better nights out in Torquay and Exeter than in London and these are smallish places with like a population of 130k.

* Examples being stuff like Queens of the Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails, Bloc Party, Does It Offend You, Yeah?, Nirvana, Pendulum, A Perfect Circle, Radiohead, Yeah Yeah Yeahs etc etc. That's not to say I don't like music from other genres either, I just prefer rock music.
    Fair enough. That seems a bit of a shame. TBF if somebody told me they liked that kind of music and wanted a night out I'd just say go to sin city or underworld or camden in general really. Don't you ever go to gigs? Half the "nightlife" I attend is just live music, whether it's a band or a dj, and in London I could find a night I want to go every single day if I wanted!

P.s. Don't you ever sleep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Fair enough. That seems a bit of a shame. TBF if somebody told me they liked that kind of music and wanted a night out I'd just say go to sin city or underworld or camden in general really. Don't you ever go to gigs? Half the "nightlife" I attend is just live music, whether it's a band or a dj, and in London I could find a night I want to go every single day if I wanted!

P.s. Don't you ever sleep?
    Yeah when I go out I usually go to Camden because it does mesh best with what I like. I'm still not a masive fan of Camden though, I've been to Sin City @ the electric ballroom and it was just full of goths and weirdos rather than people who like rock music. One good thing about living in the East End is the closeness of the O2 though, plenty of good rock gigs there I go to. Tbh I'm just as happy sitting in a Spoons all evening as going out to Camden/Shoreditch (I must be getting old) but when I do go out I don't think it really lives up to what people say of London. I enjoyed it the first few months, now 18 months in it's all a bit meh.

As for sleep? it's for the weak Being serious I woke up at like 7am this morning to get down the library to finish my last essay of the semester, only to remember that the library doesn't open until 1pm on a Sunday :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Charlie__A*)
    Hi! I'm currently at Kent but find it mind numbingly boring. I know they say your uni lifes what you make of it but theres very little you can make of kent. So i want to drop out and apply for a London based uni for next year. I need the same grades to do my course at Queen Mary and Kings, So i'm basing my desicion mainly on the social life. I love the fact that Queen Mary is campus based, but do people go into central London a lot for nights out? Are people who choose to live on campus as exciting as those who don't? Since Kent was such a let down social wise i really want to go somewhere exciting and, you know, wild how you imagine uni to be next year! Thanks!
    QM is the only campus uni in London - that is, the faculties, the lecture theatres, cafes, gym, student union, bars, accommodation is all in the same place and it's 2 minutes to walk anywhere. Undergrads in second and third years tend to live around the uni - in Mile End, Bethnal Green, Aldgate East and tend to have journeys of 5-20 minutes.

KCL is not a campus per se - and you will have to travel more. In the first year, if you get stamford street, it's a 15 minute walk from the strand. Great Dover street is about a 40-50 minute walk to the Strand campus so you'll have to change twice on the tube, or take buses to get there. Hampstead and King's College Hall are much further away - so more tube travelling. In second and third years, undergrads tend to move to South/East london where it's cheaper and have commutes of about 30-60 minutes to uni.

So you actually have to travel a lot more with KCL! You see your social life depends on where you live - the commute you face to a central London club depends on your starting point, and your starting point won't be The Strand!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    I think King's would have a better social life and night life it being in the centre of London and right by the LSE, Imperial and UCL opens up a good opportunity to get to know everyone. Where QM is sort of secluded(no offence to people who actually go there) If you could get in to King's go for it.
    Since when was Waterloo anywhere near Kensington or Camden?

In fact none of those places are really "right by eachother", the closest are probably UCL and LSE, but that's still a good 20 minute walk.

Please invest in an A-Z like all the other out-of-towners...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmat)
    The ground floor of the library is amazing
    Totally agree!

ReputationRep:
    I know more than one Kings student who comes to Queen Mary every weekend because they prefer it. Then again, LGBT events at Kings are admitted to be better according to my friends in the QM LGBT

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.