Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need a effective, cheap weight-gaining supplement that is WHEY-FREE Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7he5haman)
    Read again:

"But it's too expensive for me now and to make matters worse my muslim father would not approve of whey powder in his house."

Maximuscle was referred to in that sentence. (And it wasn't free.)

The second clause would not make sense unless I knew maximuscle had whey in it.
    None of us are mind readers - it's obvious that you know very little about supplements and training in general, it's easy to assume that you didn't know that MaxiMuscle contained whey.

Yes, someone explained it to me. And I acknowledged their post. So there was NO NEED for you to reiterate it.
    It would surprise you how many ill-informed and ignorant people we get visiting these boards and often we do have to reiterate things multiple times.

So you're advocating going behind my father's back?
    It's a viable option that I would consider if I was in your position.

Further I've already discussed why explaining to my father the truthprobably won't make a difference with another user.
    If you don't at least try you're immediately consigning yourself to failure.

In general I suggest you read ALL posts CAREFULLY before posting.
    Sort your attitude out mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Militantbuthopeful)
    As in physically vomiting or as in it feels a bit funny? If the later just grin and bear it I'm afraid
    Not vomitting lol But more than "a bit funny"! Perhaps it's due to my lack of a large intestine... or maybe I just can't tolerate raw eggs!

I think I'm going to have a look at the soy protein route that someone previously suggested

Thanks to everyone that was helpful!

ReputationRep:
    or maybe I just can't tolerate raw eggs!
    Why would you do them raw!?
    Protein is more readily absorbed from cooked eggs.

Do a little more reading around the subject I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    None of us are mind readers - it's obvious that you know very little about supplements and training in general, it's easy to assume that you didn't know that MaxiMuscle contained whey.

It would surprise you how many ill-informed and ignorant people we get visiting these boards and often we do have to reiterate things multiple times.

It's a viable option that I would consider if I was in your position.

If you don't at least try you're immediately consigning yourself to failure.

Sort your attitude out mate.

1) Well you made an unnecessary assumption that could have been avoided if you READ THE SENTENCE PROPERLY. I'm not going to go over that bit again. It's a clear implication of that sentence that I know that MM has whey in it.

2) Someone helped me out. I acknowledged their help. This usually means I've understood what they've said. So I don't NEED someone to reiterate it to me again, and you should realise that.

3) Again, I already said I didn't want to go down that route WITH ANOTHER USER. Why do you think I would want to consider it again? I'd rather have a genuine relationship with my father than go behind his back.

4) No, I'm not failing. I'd rather just maintain good relations with my dad than have another argument with him, that's all.

5) My attitude? You're the one that decides to reiterate what others have said EVEN THOUGH I'VE ALREADY ACKNOWLEDGED WHAT THEY SAID. As a result you made me feel like I was stupid and wasn't getting the point, even though the fact that I had acknowledged what they said CLEARLY demostrates that I did get the point. Good day.

EDIT: Oh, woe is me.
    I've been repped negatively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Militantbuthopeful)
    Why would you do them raw!?
    Protein is more readily absorbed from cooked eggs.

Do a little more reading around the subject I think

I thought you meant mixing eggs with milk!

ReputationRep:
    Milk protein powder

Soy protein powder

Also do some research on 99% NNU products (Net Nitrogen Utilisation), protein powders have very low NNU so there is a lot of waste. There are a couple of products that have around a 99% NNU, so are very good as supplements and aren't whey based I think

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thank you for such an enlightening post. Just the sort of reply I was looking for.
    Hey, if you're too ignorant to actually look things up before posting about them, it's not my fault if you get laughed at. Equal and opposite reaction, dontchaknow.

ReputationRep:
    lol muslims...

OP you might not be stupid but your father certainly is a Grade A idiot

Take soy protein

ReputationRep:
    Cake?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/cats/cat...rotein_powders

You've got a lot of alternative options, obviously none of them are ideal but better than nothing right?

I'd avoid going full-steam with the Soy Protein - unless it's removed by manufacturing process it'll be high in oestrogens I think. Someone might want to correct me on this.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the information!

Unfortunately my father is a stubborn character. If he was told by our local Islamic leaders that we shouldn't consume whey then he's unlikely to budge on the matter, even if I show him this...

I take it that non-whey based weight-gainging supplements are difficult to come by then?

Could anyone please recommend cheap effective weight gainers (whey or non-way) in any case? I could always try to convince him, I suppose...

Thanks
    it normally says it comes from soya source. but anyways ive noticed on myprotein.co.uk it says if they are halal/kosher etc...show your dad them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Hey, if you're too ignorant to actually look things up before posting about them, it's not my fault if you get laughed at. Equal and opposite reaction, dontchaknow.

1) I think you'll find that 'lazy' is more appropriate than the bolded word.

2) Sure, I could've just gone online and saved myself the grief of useless comments like yours. But I figured there'd be some well-meaning people on this site who would know a great deal more about this sutff than me and point me in the right direction.

3) You original post was just a complete waste. If you're not going to address the topic of the thread then go somewhere else. TSR would be a much better place without people doing the sort of thing you did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lol muslims...

OP you might not be stupid but your father certainly is a Grade A idiot

Take soy protein
    I'd rather you didn't insult my father please. He was only obeying what his religious leaders had said to him, it's not his fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio)
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/cats/cat...rotein_powders

You've got a lot of alternative options, obviously none of them are ideal but better than nothing right?

I'd avoid going full-steam with the Soy Protein - unless it's removed by manufacturing process it'll be high in oestrogens I think. Someone might want to correct me on this.
    Now THIS is a good post!

Thank you pos rep coming your way!

ReputationRep:
    Just like to say thankyou for starting this thread I'm constantly looking for weight-gaining supplements as I have a hard time maintaining body weight. Carbs, pasta, potatoes etc are good stodgy foods I've found that help maintain my weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashapt)
    Just like to say thankyou for starting this thread I'm constantly looking for weight-gaining supplements as I have a hard time maintaining body weight. Carbs, pasta, potatoes etc are good stodgy foods I've found that help maintain my weight.
    No problem!

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, with my lack of large intestine, I've found that powder-based weight-gainers are easier for me to absorb than normal foods*. Plus they don't leave as much waste, which is important for someone with an internal pouch (like me!)

*Obviously I still eat three times a day! I just need an effective supplement to compliment it and to that end powder-based weight-gainers are the way to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    it normally says it comes from soya source. but anyways ive noticed on myprotein.co.uk it says if they are halal/kosher etc...show your dad them.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather you didn't insult my father please. He was only obeying what his religious leaders had said to him, it's not his fault.
    his religious leaders are idiots then, if they think whey is crushed pig bone, either that or they're stupid enough to not be able to look in a dictionary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    his religious leaders are idiots then, if they think whey is crushed pig bone, either that or they're stupid enough to not be able to look in a dictionary
    Does it matter? He's not asking for you to pass judgement on his dad or what he believes. Stop being such a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio)
    Does it matter? He's not asking for you to pass judgement on his dad or what he believes. Stop being such a ****.
    I'm not being a **** I'm stating fact, if you think whey contains crushed pig bones, you are an idiot, trufax

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.