Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think the coalition or the Lib-Dems will try or talk about making weed legal?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    i was being sarcastic and i chose to use the word 'conservative' itself in an attempt to indirectly criticise the conservative party. your grammar is poor because everybody knows you don't start a sentence with the word 'and' :facepalm:

Yes, but it wasn't ironic in any sense. There was no irony in what you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFsucks)
    It was in the Lib-Dem manifesto to decrimanise it so it might be something they might try to implement in the future, but then I guess it depends on what the Conservatives want as well.
    True, but I get the impression that most of the Lib-Dem manifesto went out the window when making the the Coalition agreement - I think the only policies they've kept is the vote for AV, and the stuff they had in common like cuts (though they're deeper than the LDs suggested) and civil liberties.

ReputationRep:
    They should legalise "weak" weed, such as Rocky and keep skunk-level illegal. People would pay to get a light buzz still legally and not have to worry about shift dealers. Plus the government can tax it and gain a profit and keep drug raid forces going. I believe that since they made weed a higher class, drug mules will smuggle harder, more expensive drugs into the country which are more harmful because they'll make more of a profit to it, hence the whole rise in the skunk culture and all.

But then again, legalising weak weed will either have people not bother with dealers and just enjoy what they've got, or form an addiction to it and want to try harder weed and increase dealers and such. Please don't bring "weed isn't addictive" into this, it is. I have friends who rely on the stuff on a daily basis, who've tried to quit it like they would smoking and failed. If that's not addiction, I don't know what is.

ReputationRep:
    A party who advertise it as a logical review of drug laws at the right time could be quite effective.
    It shows the incompetence of the last party in power who have acted against all expert advice to keep it illegal..
    Making another drug more illegal at the same time (something like salvia probably) keeps the middle class mums vote
    A good percentage of the population smoke weed and would definately get some backing from them.

If they follow expert advice though theyll probably have to legalise ecstasy and a couple of others and admit all the propoganda spun at the time was bull****
    (maybe not so bad as the middle age middle class probably all done it in their day and realise its relatively harmless)

It depends wether theyve got enough media support to spin it their way at the time. The media can make it look either very good or very bad

ReputationRep:
    The chances of this country having a more progressive policy on drugs in the next few years are very, very slim. The previous labour government made a very clear move against sensible, evidence-based drugs policy with their sacking of Prof. David Nutt, and the conservatives have continued this trend in proposing the removal of the need to have medical and scientific experts involved in producing drugs policy advice. The lib-dems have a more progressive policy on drugs but they are immensely unpopular and have a fairly conservative-friendly leadership at the moment. In addition, can anyone realistically see the conservatives wanting to decriminalise any drugs, no matter how good the evidence is that doing so is a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    *Here's hoping :P*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4994mm)
    Why would they?
    It's a negitive influence to many people, there is no advantage on it being legal?
    In that case, lets also outlaw ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4994mm)
    Why would they?
    It's a negitive influence to many people, there is no advantage on it being legal?
    Freedom of choice.

ReputationRep:
    They should!
    Make it legal, make it 100% organic, whack on a ridiculous amount of tax and voila, we'd be out of debt before you could say munchies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    Yes, but it wasn't ironic in any sense. There was no irony in what you said.
    i just told you i was using sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustSmile)
    They should!
    Make it legal, make it 100% organic, whack on a ridiculous amount of tax and voila, we'd be out of debt before you could say munchies.
    i'm sure people would happily keep paying the same price, so the government could tax up to £150 per ounce and nobody would complain :borat:

ReputationRep:
    No. When America legalises it (which they will) wait a couple of years and we will start talking about it too.

So 10-15 years ish maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    i just told you i was using sarcasm.
    You really need to work on it then.

ReputationRep:
    The novelty would probably wear off after a couple of years so the economic benefits probably wouldnt last. It would be much less fun 4 teenagers 2 do weed if it was legal and from a freedom of choice point of view its definitely a good idea so Im all for it though dont think its very likely to happen anytime soon

ReputationRep:
    I've never tried weed I'd be for the legalisation of it. It doesn't appear to do any more damage than that of cigarettes or alcohol and the government could makes quite a tidy sum from taxation.

However, there is no pressure in this country to legalize it. It's a non-issue really. The majority see all drugs as bad and would automatically be set against it. Proposition 19 was defeated in California so there would be no chance in hell of a similar bill being passed in Britain. Maybe once the legalisation does occur in California it might become a matter for debate but even then it'll probably take a few years longer to actually happen.

Not to mention that it's still categorized as a Class B drug. It'll probably go through re-categorization to Class C before it becomes legal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFsucks)
    It was in the Lib-Dem manifesto to decrimanise it so it might be something they might try to implement in the future, but then I guess it depends on what the Conservatives want as well.
    What do you mean as well, what the government decder to do depend conservatives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Great Mortimer)
    Sorry but, in what way is addressing tuition fees going to not lose them many votes? Especially the libdems.

Maybe those are just stupid politicians.
    It was the Tories that addressed tuition fees - I'm sure the Lib Dems would rather not have been involved. The Tories know that much of their votership doesn't particularly care about tuition fees, and after all these protests, by which the media are very easily making students look stupid, violent and reactionary - I don't think it is going to damage the conservatives at the polls. As for the Lib Dems, I have no idea why they voted mostly in favour, because they're never going to survive after this now. I mean they signed a pledge ffs. And considering their general policies before the election, I find it hard to believe most of them truly support the fee rise. I can only imagine they want to cling on to whatever power they are receiving from this government, at the cost of nearly all of their support.

Either way, it has been a massive political blunder from Clegg and Co, because I doubt the party will survive after this coalition. I don't really think the "brave" (or more accurately, stupid) vote for tuition fees was done for ideological reasons, though. If the Coalition broke up now, the Lib Dems would lose horribly in a re-election.

ReputationRep:
    If no one has already, why doesn't someone create a poll thread for people to vote for and against legalisation of cannabis? Might be interesting to see which way it goes.

ReputationRep:
    The previous government clearly illustrated that they prefer to conform to hysteria and conjecture rather than empiricism and logic. I don't think the coalition show any signs of changing.

I think in slightly different circumstances it would have been put on the table. For example, if non-medical marijuana had been decriminalised in California last month, that could have been a huge shock for the world and stimulated real consideration of decriminalising marijuana. Sadly it was outvoted

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport....html?page=375 No, the future looks bleak.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.