Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

5,000 where to spend it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpont)
    You'll certainly lose less on a steel Rolex than an old banger - that was the reasoning behind me getting a Datejust instead of a car for my 18th. I saw it as an investment for life - a car wouldn't last anywhere near as long, or hold anywhere near as much value. A Rolex Sub or GMT is a pretty safe bet as it goes - it won't earn you loads of money, but it will hold its value, and you'll get immense pleasure from owning one
    i think your last sentence topped it off i dont really want to own one not very materialistic in that sense :P however its a good idea ill think it through maybe 1/2k.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldnt generate too bad of an interest 5k...few hundred a year which you could take out and spend as you please.

I'd probs shove a little in a bank, just to stop one going too mental and blowing/wasting it too quickly...just like 1.5k...have it in a bond for a year, and then spend that...it'd just draw out the fun of having a nice amount of money, for longer.

I'd buy a home cinema system though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony_Soprano1)
    i think your last sentence topped it off i dont really want to own one not very materialistic in that sense :P however its a good idea ill think it through maybe 1/2k.
    Fair enough - I was referring to it being a great piece of precision engineering, rather than showing off the fact it's a Rolex. I find there's something a little bit magical in a proper watch movement, I never tire of that beautiful sweep seconds hand

ReputationRep:
    oh rite well originally i ran a business started when i was age 14 then sold it for a few thousand then worked nightshifts for a year then invested and so on. Last year bought a house and put it on rent. So its rental income and my latest business venture and some student loan about 600 lol.
    My bf's done the same - although he's looking at making a cool few hundred k and he's only 19 lol

ReputationRep:
    as above can you please be specific im thinking car but dont know which one!any other ideas are fine
    Half on a car, half on a prostitute

ReputationRep:
    I've got my money (more than 5k), split over:
    Shares
    ISA
    Premium bonds
    Current Account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markberry91)
    Half on a car, half on a prostitute
    thats one expensive prostitute!

ReputationRep:
    Go to Paris and Cannes, spend the weekend their ! =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abady.f)
    Go to Paris and Cannes, spend the weekend their ! =)
    haha best one so far :P
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My plans if i had £5k..

£1k - Holiday
    £1k - Shares
    £1k - Random spend (random crap like clothes/new phone)
    £2k - 1 year fixed rate savings account (can get around 3% at the moment, i say only 1 year because at some point in the next few years, there is likely to be an interest rate hike and you don't want to miss it)

By doing that, you would have a good mix of spending and saving. The only alternative i would give to that is perhaps save the full £5k for either a Masters or a mortgage.

ReputationRep:
    as above can you please be specific im thinking car but dont know which one!any other ideas are fine
    A car will probably end up costing you more money in terms of insurance, road tax, MOT and petrol plus the value of the car will decrease over time.

If you have any debts to pay off, take a chunk out of them. Failing that, save it. The interest might not be great but I've started reading books on finance and they all recommend saving money and then investing it in assets which wil create more money for you.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a pair of shotguns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwwhty)
    A car will probably end up costing you more money in terms of insurance, road tax, MOT and petrol plus the value of the car will decrease over time.

If you have any debts to pay off, take a chunk out of them. Failing that, save it. The interest might not be great but I've started reading books on finance and they all recommend saving money and then investing it in assets which wil create more money for you.
    that was the general plan but i bought a house last year no mortgage debt left, and have 5k now want to do something fun or interesting. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If you want low risk - Cash ISA.

If you want high risk - Shares - check the Stocks & Shares thread for current markets to get into.

ReputationRep:
    Gold is the soundest investment.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably save it. But if I *had* to spend it, I'd buy a Blackberry, some gold jewellery, a passport, a camera and then a trip to France!

ReputationRep:
    we think alike i once drank 22 jagerbombs in 14 different bars in one night

but my friend will sell me his jagerbomb machine onces he moves house :P
    You mean... a shot glass?

ReputationRep:
    Buy silver.

You're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    You mean... a shot glass?
    I think he means. The jagermeister machine. Chills 3 bottles beautifully.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.