Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Society has no respect for sluts because... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BambieWambie)
    The reason why women sleep around is because they want to feel loved. It not the same for men. Men don't really get attached. They do it for the pleasure.
    I do it for pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    I think I may have worked out why society doesnt like promiscuous women. Society expects women to have self respect, men to have little to none. I personally think this reflects better on women. And obviously if a woman has promiscuous sex this goes against society's expectations and we lose respect for the woman. If a guy does the same, well, lets just say its expected.

Maybe a lack of self respect isnt required to have promiscuous sex but it certainly helps
    You've completely missed the mark there, I'm afraid. Women aren't somehow magically more worthy than men. Guys aren't going to lose self respect because they have a great number of partners, in fact the opposite is true in many cases. Sexual success will tell them that they have desirable genes and they will feel really good about it, not to mention the pleasure they'll get from it. It's expected for men to be sexually active, but not because it is though they have no self respect.

Women are discouraged from promiscuity for completely cynical reasons.
    Men are jealous and want their partners to be loyal. This stems from the reproductive urge to make sure that their offspring is in fact their own, and not the result of some other guy's "interference"
    Society has for much of its existence bartered women and negotiated marriages to serve its own interests. Virginity would add great value to prospective brides in those times, because the groom and his family would not have to worry about unexpected pregnancies and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The problem with people who get called sluts is not that they're sexually liberated, it implies a sort of desperation. Mainly girls who are willing to give themselves over entirely (and not just physically) to men and think it's a good strategy to find love, or get a job, or whatever else. It rarely works because others (both genders) don't respect girls who behave in this way.

Sex is, in general, a submissive thing for women. Female sexuality is very different indeed from male sexuality.
    I agree with you, actually, that there are many women who think that offering sex is a way to obtain a man (or indeed a job). These women are often mistaken and left disappointed.

But answer me this. If 'sluts' are only sleeping around for some kind of personal gain (romantic, financial, whatever), why would they keep doing it if it was a pathetic failure of a strategy? The truth is that this strategy sometimes works. There are many men who will not consider a woman as their girlfriend unless she sleeps with him, and is good at it. This doesn't only apply to heartless *******s, because for many people it is just their automatic expectation of a relationship. If women who sleep with lots of different men are doing something wrong, this wouldn't mean that they lacked self-respect. No doubt most would see it as a worthwhile price to pay for what they want. If you have a problem with it, look at our society and culture as a whole rather than 'slut-shaming' women who are actually being perfectly rational in their decision-making.

More importantly, though, I'd argue that most women who sleep around are doing it because they want to. What is this rubbish about sex being a submissive thing for women? What do you mean by it? You seem to be completely ignoring the fact that many women have active sexual desire. Sex is not always them 'giving in' to the advances of men and sacrificing their vaginas for money and romance. Many women and men are culturally brainwashed into thinking that it is, though. You seem to be a victim of this yourself.

Some women find that one man isn't enough to satisfy their sexual desire. Many would be happy to be with just one man if they found one right for them, but sleep around a lot because they've struggling to find someone who gives them what they want. I agree that male and female sexuality tends to be different but this doesn't mean that women don't enjoy and want sex. If anything, because women often find it more difficult than men to find out what gets them off and can take longer to 'discover' themselves sexually, lots of experience potentially benefits them more.

Women who sleep around a lot might be desperate for something - but if that 'something' is sexual pleasure then so what? Aren't we all desperate for that? It's worth finding it, too. I certainly don't regret having slept around a lot before finding a guy who could satisfy my sexual desires as well as showing everything else I wanted in a boyfriend. And if things go wrong with him, I'll sleep around again until I find someone else who does.

ReputationRep:
    Simply just because sluts have slutty attitude. But, I think it's unfair if the society give no respect on them. They are human beings too.

ReputationRep:
    OMG...I've just had an 'Ashes to Ashes' moment and woken up in 1955.

ReputationRep:
    I guess theres always individual choice and if women want to do that then they can, but personally i wouldn't

ReputationRep:
    People who spend too much time thinking about and judging the sexual habits of others probably just need a good seeing to

ReputationRep:
    I find it ironic how guy players aren't really proud of scoring sluts? That should seriously mean something...hmm

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.