Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most of my closest friends are guys......and I'm a girl Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    Since starting uni, I've connected the most with guys. By no means am I a tomboy, I'm as "girly" as all the other girls but I just generally enjoy spending time with guys more than girls. If I had to pick the top 5 people I enjoy hanging with the most, they're all guys.

With some of the girls I know, I always feel like you have to be a certain way around them. Their conversations are terribly boring and just involve talking about boys, boyfriends, hot guys etc. I seem to have more awkward moments with girls than guys.

It's beginning to worry me now because I realise just how much time I spend with guys and how my closest friends are in fact guys. What should I do? Why do I enjoy male company more than female?
    I'm sort of in a similar situation. Outside of university, most of my close friends are girls but ever since I started university, I think I've made more guy friends than girls. As others have said, in some ways the conversations can be more interesting (apart from football since it isn't a main interest of mine) and there's no *****ing. I don't think it's strange at all.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Does it really matter? As long as you're comfortable and happy, that's the main thing.

I had a few close female friends at uni but the overwhelming majority of my time was spent in male company and I'm pretty sure most of my friends were male. I'm not a tomboy either (though I'm not the girliest girl either) but found that guys were less *****y and just happened to make up most of the friendship group I hung out with
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    Girls who say things like:

'I'm one of the guys!'
    'Girls are too *****y to hang around with!'
    'Men are easier to get along with!'

Are normally the most irritating/*****y women out there.
    Haha, spot on!

ReputationRep:
    I was planning to live with my closest guy mates but other people started commenting about how "unfair"/"strange" that is...
    how come? it's not unfair or strange! One of them is my boyfriend of a year, so they don't assume things, they know they're just the people I get along with best at Uni! Though i don't think my parents or grandparents entirely approve :P

I agree people look on it as a bit strange, a girl living with 3 guys, but mostly i get the reaction "how do you cope?!", it is a bit odd, and they're not very good at cleaning i must admit :P but it's great fun! I still get time to get ready to go out, and be girly, and have my room which is my own slightly girly haven haha, but mostly it's just a laugh! The sexist comments get irritating though :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same. I find I can trust guys a lot more than other girls. And I think they're also less likely to look down on people.

ReputationRep:
    Since starting uni, I've connected the most with guys. By no means am I a tomboy, I'm as "girly" as all the other girls but I just generally enjoy spending time with guys more than girls. If I had to pick the top 5 people I enjoy hanging with the most, they're all guys.

With some of the girls I know, I always feel like you have to be a certain way around them. Their conversations are terribly boring and just involve talking about boys, boyfriends, hot guys etc. I seem to have more awkward moments with girls than guys.

It's beginning to worry me now because I realise just how much time I spend with guys and how my closest friends are in fact guys. What should I do? Why do I enjoy male company more than female?

I am exactly the same, although i've enjoyed male company more than female for years and im only at college. Guys are so much easier to talk to and their conversations are never the same. They have the most funniest and interesting conversations ever, much better than female. Plus girls are more *****y and you have to act just like them or they think of you completely different. With guys they don't care how you act or dress just who you are . It's completely normal, don't be worried by it.

ReputationRep:

Hey that's fine. ok yea your right it must be awkward when your boyfriends are talking about sex and blowjobs but you can still include yourself in the conversation and i'm sure these boys will appreiciate you if you do.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm a guy and I not only have more girl mates, I also find it easy to make friends with girls over guys.
    Then again, I was brought up around my mum and my two full sisters before my step-dad and his sons arrived.
    Meh, anyway, its nothing unusual.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any male friends .. Everyone are different. I've always found girls to be very good company. I don't like when girls go "Yeah, I totally have more male friends. They're like so much cooler, and less
    *****y and all that.. " I have very interesting, fun and deep discussions etc with my friends. Generalising and stereotyping won't do you any good.

ReputationRep:
    'what should i do?'

bash your head against a wall, it couldn't make you dumber. what is the point of this thread? you're actually studying at university and asking these sorts of questions. i fear for the future.

ReputationRep:

There is nothing wrong with the way you are and you shouldn't have to do anything about it. My best friend is a guy( I am a girl) and I sometimes find it easier to talk to guys too, as they don't seem to judge you as girls do and make you feel awkward or out of place. (that is if you have found guys more close to your personality and way of understanding things)

I know exactly what you mean when you say that sometimes around girls you have to be someone else, to try to make it out as if you are interested or amused by their conversation, when in fact, this is not your type of thing. Many people feel that way (male or female) and there is nothing wrong with it. You just have to stick with the people that let you be yourself and you feel good around Nothing wrong or worrying in that.

ReputationRep:

Lucky you. I'd love to have more close guy mates.

ReputationRep:

So why worry? I'm exactly the same. I'm very femenine and girly, but I'd much prefer to sit down and just chill with some guys than have a major *****ing session with girls.

I think guys are just generally more fun than a lot of girls. Also, they tend to take things less seriously. I enjoy a high degree of banter, and with girls, they can get all moody about it, whereas with guys, it's all taken in good spirits. Example, in my group of friends, a lot of us aren't completely English. We always racially abuse eachother (in a joke-y way, obviously), and none of us get offended because to be honest, it is quite funny.

The only downfall from this is other girls get jealous and say mean things! Seriously though, it doesn't matter, if your good friends are all guys, so be it!

EDIT: So, which part of this deserved a neg? The part where I'm being homophobic, racist, sexist, offensive..OH WAIT, I wasn't. Tosser.

ReputationRep:
    All this talk of '*****ing' between girls really goes to show how absolutely petty, spiteful, and downright retarded the majority of women are. It honestly baffles me how any male could enjoy the company of females during the times when attempting to acquire sex is not part of the agenda.

ReputationRep:

doesnt matter, just do what u feel like. There's nothing wrong with u... I think it's good to hang out with guys rather than girls since they are much more simple. Girls are so complicated and take everything really seriously (including me xD). So stop questioning your motives unless you wanna sleep with all your male friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    Girls who say things like:

'I'm one of the guys!'
    'Girls are too *****y to hang around with!'
    'Men are easier to get along with!'

Are normally the most irritating/*****y women out there.
    My ex-girlfriend always recited those two rhetorics commonly spouted via irritating *****es.

ReputationRep:
    Why must some people generalise so and stereotype? Not all girls are characters from Mean Girls and not all guys are "Loads more fun and totally chilled out lads who like to watch football." .. Everyone are different.

I've always had more female friends. None are *****y, they're all hilarious and I love spending time with them. I can completely relax when I'm with them, and just chill out. I find it very easy to speak to them.
    I'd like to have more male friends, but I haven't really gotten around to that yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Why must some people generalise so and stereotype? Not all girls are characters from Mean Girls and not all guys are "Loads more fun and totally chilled out lads who like to watch football." .. Everyone are different.

I've always had more female friends. None are *****y, they're all hilarious and I love spending time with them. I can completely relax when I'm with them, and just chill out. I find it very easy to speak to them.
    I'd like to have more male friends, but I haven't really gotten around to that yet.
    Tbh, the guys I am the closest with don't always do typical "guy stuff" like watch/obsess over football. Coincidentally, I convinced two of them to watch mean girls with me not too long ago

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter what gender your friends are. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I sympathise with you OP, guys are awesome to hang around with (no homo)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.