Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Citys N302 isnt direcntly about Investment Banking, its like some international finance course, N300 is getting more common with unis i do believe though and guardian i have firmed reading already did it yesterday actually

look up the bsc section of icmacentre.ac.uk quite bit of info there, although the course is very new, a few years old at max i believe so not much is generally known about it other than the stuff provided by reading/henley/icma

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so among all the Unis that are offering this finance and/or investment banking degree,which Uni is the best??? and is Reading's ICMA one of the best Uni that provide this course? : )

ReputationRep:
    As for an "IB" course then reading is the only one, and have state of the art facilities, however as for best uni to get into IB i couldnt say but it deffo not near the leagues of oxbridge/lse

ReputationRep:
    okay then.. i think i might put reading as my firm choice too...haha.. btw, i wish i can get an en-suite room.LOL.. i want my own bathroom : ) LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guardian92)
    x
    Yeh, if you want to get into IB then the course is not particularly relevant (within reason) more the university that you attended.

Getting into IB through Reading will not be easy.

ReputationRep:
    okay..uhm,this course will teach us how to invest in stock market/equities or currency right? Does that mean that, after we graduate, we will have the knowledge to do investment ourselves? and earn money easily and faster??LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Invest ourself would be a possibility, but its not easiest of things to do, as ofc the risks are quite high unless you do long term safe investing but that doesnt pay very well in the short term without investing large amounts

I choose reading because i realised if im not lse/oxbridge level i might as well take the course ill enjoy most, no point doing a boring degree with tons of theory at the same sort of ranking uni when i could do a more fun degree only worth putting yourself through the torture of masses of economic theory if its at a very very top uni in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Nice : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshnit)
    Invest ourself would be a possibility, but its not easiest of things to do, as ofc the risks are quite high unless you do long term safe investing but that doesnt pay very well in the short term without investing large amounts

I choose reading because i realised if im not lse/oxbridge level i might as well take the course ill enjoy most, no point doing a boring degree with tons of theory at the same sort of ranking uni when i could do a more fun degree only worth putting yourself through the torture of masses of economic theory if its at a very very top uni in my opinion
    I agree with this. So many people do degrees because it will get them into their chosen job, rather than because they will enjoy the degree.

Personally i think that the Reading course looks like really good fun and therefore id be much more motivated to work hard at it.

ReputationRep:
    True say, exception being it was a calculated choice since my options were limiting knowing fully well I couldn't get onto a degree which would make getting into IB easier, so went for the more fun course :\

Meh once i get into reading, i dont think ill care too much, and ill try for all the internships etc and if i get lucky, that should help me get onto the playing field of lse/oxbridge in terms of career aspects :P

ReputationRep:
    Can we become a fund manager in the future? after we graduate from reading??O_O?

ReputationRep:
    I mean, will we gain the knowledge to open an investment management company???

ReputationRep:
    You can become a fund manager from any degree, so reading wouldnt exactly hinder you in that sense, and i guess this course more than most would each you techniques and financial tools used in fund managing i would guess...

ReputationRep:
    okay. honestly, im quite interested in stock market. i just wish that reading's course will teach me the financial tools/derivatives to analyse the financial market and earn money faster..... xD

What do you think? : )

ReputationRep:
    if you want to learn directly about financial tools and derivatives i dont think there is a better course

ReputationRep:
    okay thanks : ) btw, since you firmed reading, do you get to choose which hall to stay??

ReputationRep:
    yeh but not yet i dont have unconditional, just a plani conditional so need to wait another few weeks to apply

ReputationRep:
    hmm..im wondering.. how many students are taking this finance and investment banking course... Do you have any idea? : ) im just curious about it.. ^^

ReputationRep:
    i dunno ill ask if i remember when i go down to reading on the 5th march

ReputationRep:
    okay sure.thx bro.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.