Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rome or Paris? Watch

• View Poll Results: Rome or paris?
    Rome
    57.32%
    Paris
    42.68%

ReputationRep:
    Rome is filthy. There is graffiti everywhere on the Roman monuments and the laughable Metro system. I've seen rats running around outside Rome train station. I find Italians every bit as rude as the Parisiens. Italy seems quite backward and medieval compared to France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Rome is filthy. There is graffiti everywhere on the Roman monuments and the laughable Metro system. I've seen rats running around outside Rome train station. I find Italians every bit as rude as the Parisiens. Italy seems quite backward and medieval compared to France.
    Well, I don't know which part of Rome you went to but you've just made a huge generalisation. The Rome I went to was absolutely beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah, I wouldn’t say that Rome is clean everywhere you go, but it
    isn’t dirtier than London really. It depends on where you go and when. If
    you are in Piazza Venezia and there has been a concert in the area, of course
    you’ll find some litters left in the streets around you. Or if the Rome
    football team has won and people has been celebrating, again you do
    find the streets in a mess, but this happens everywhere in the world, I
    suppose, non only in London and Rome.

The graffiti issue is going a bit better recently. They’re removing them
    and you won’t find many left.

Rats??! I can honestly say I’ve never ever seen one in Rome while there
    are some little dark grey ones in the tube in London, especially in
    zone 1.

I’d say that in general the Italians are very clean.

This i how clean it feels at home and notice the floor: it’s marble - not carpet
    like we have nearly everywhere in the UK - which means that it can be washed
    and disinfected easily. And believe me, people do; the homes and the hotels
    are very very clean. I suppose in Paris is the same as Rome, though. Overall
    I’d say that cleanness is not the main issue when you go on holiday.

Anyway one tip for those who are planning to come here: when you go out
    at night looking for a pizza, go to a restaurant that says “forno a legna” which
    means that the pizzas are cooked in a stone heated with chunks of wood.
    The taste is much better than the other pizzas.

ReputationRep:
    Which is cheapest? Rome
    Which is the most beautiful? Paris imho
    Which makes for the most romantic break? Paris, Im going there with my boyfriend next summer
    Which is the most friendly to non French or Italian speakers? Parisians have a reputation of being rude to non french speakers,especially english speaking ones, altho in many cases that's just a rumour, there are a lot of nice people aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Rome: the people, the food, the weather, the language, the architecture, the art, the history, the atmosphere, the landmarks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Low Profile)
    Very cheap. Not that beautiful.

Also Italians are friendlier than the frenchies.
    I dunno, thats a fairly flattering photo of that dirty slapper!

Well I think its rome anyway guys

ReputationRep:
    Don’t forget to go to the MAXXI. Very often tourists aren’t informed
    about it because it’s only opened a few months ago and therefore it doesn’t appear
    in many guidebooks.

I think it’s quite impressive for the architecture and the collections.

ReputationRep:
    I can give you any rational reasons, but i've een to Paris 4 or 5 times and Rome twice, and I'd say Rome for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    I can give you any rational reasons, but i've een to Paris 4 or 5 times and Rome twice, and I'd say Rome for sure.
    Cool! Im going to rome then
    Cheers, and cheers everyone!

(Original post by lonelykatana)
      Cool! Im going to rome then
      Cheers, and cheers everyone!
      Aww, I was going to say to not be clichéd and do the Rome/Paris thing.

What about Verona? (Where Romeo and Juliet was set).

ReputationRep:
      rome

ReputationRep:
      Rome! It's one place I want to visit before I die

ReputationRep:
      Its hard to say, i love both of them.

ReputationRep:
      Rome on every front!

ReputationRep:
      Which would you chose?
      I can only comment on Paris.

Take your passport with you everywhere! Paris gives out lots of offers to EU Citizens aged 25 and under (my boyfriend and I were 17 and 19 when we went) on places like the Louvre, Invalides etc). Prebook things like the Eiffel Tower (we only did it a week in advance) so you don't queue up for hours. The food seemed pretty normal prices for a capital city. We tended to get breakfast from our Starbucks down our road (ha!) and then maybe buy a sandwich and a cake from the bakery next to our hotel to pick at during the day. We'd then go out to a restaurant in the evening.

Paris is really lovely. All the buildings have the pretty little flowerboxes and their balconies and the buildings seemed really well maintained and clean. My boyfriend and I went 4th - 8th July and the weather was beautiful - 25-30'C everyday. It spitted one evening but we took a nap during so it was fine.

The centre of Paris is very romantic. There are lots of wide green spaces such as the green next to the Eiffel Tower, the green in front of the Louvre and the huge Parc du champs de Mars. There are lots of different restaurants, and I’m sure there are lots of posh ones if you know where to look. We found a Chinese and my boyfriend tried Chinese-style fried frog legs... We also went on a pre-booked lunch cruise which was really lovely. We stayed in a hotel called Hotel Saint Dominique and it was the most adorable, Parisian, tiny roomed, uneven floored hotel you could imagine, it was perfect.

The only real interaction we had with real French people was when ordering from the waiters in restaurants. They all seemed very friendly and had excellent English. Also, our hotel workers were very helpful.

As an extra point I'll add, unlike London and other capital cities, most things in Paris are within walking distance. Our hotel was a 10 minute walk from the Eiffel Tower so we were in the dead centre of everything. We were casually strolling along the main road by us on our first day without maps and accidentally came across the Palace, the Louvre, Notre Dame, the University, and the botanical garden with a little zoo in the middle! In that short 40 minute walk we'd covered the majority of the famous landmarks in Paris, it was brilliant! We got a relatively cheap five day metro pass for about £20 each (about the same price as London really) which we used often to get to the Northern quarter to the markets and park.

We absolutely adored Paris and would love to go their again. We’re planning on Venice for our next romantic trip. Well, after he firstly shows me the wonders of his native Cardiff…

ReputationRep:
      Paris

ReputationRep:
      I've been to both, and I can honestly tell you Rome is so much better. Paris is so dang expensive, and full of nigerians who want to flog you mini Eiffel Towers. So ****ing annoying.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by alicebytemperley)
      Well, I don't know which part of Rome you went to but you've just made a huge generalisation. The Rome I went to was absolutely beautiful.
      I agree. The Italians are nothing but lovely every time I've gone, perhaps it's because I'm polite and not a typical rude brash Englishman.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      Aww, I was going to say to not be clichéd and do the Rome/Paris thing.

What about Verona? (Where Romeo and Juliet was set).

You know, I would rather go to Verona! It looks beautiful!
      But my girlfriend would rather go to rome

You know, I would rather go to Verona! It looks beautiful!
        But my girlfriend would rather go to rome
        Go to both? :awesome: That would be such an awesome trip tbh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.