Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Caraniel's Snowy Winter Anime Preview 2011 ~brought to you by the power of de-icer~ Watch

ReputationRep:
    Where is Ai no Kusabi OVA? :cry:

I'll probably end up watching Level E none of the others seem to be very appealing to me at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    LOL the Spring preview is also out, wtf it's a bit early :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackVenom321)
    LOL the Spring preview is also out, wtf it's a bit early :lolwut:
    The next season V1 charts usually start coming out around the time the current season starts airing. There will be a few more versions before I bother doing my own preview about a month before the season starts though :yes:

EDIT: Also for those that are wondering, the 1st ep of Kimi no Todoke S2 came out yesterday, but it was a recap so I'm not doing a post on that show til the proper 1st ep airs next week.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Crunchyroll have 'Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?'. IS Infinite Stratos, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and Yumekui Merry have aired, so hopefully fansubs will show up soon.

ReputationRep:
    After glancing through next seasons list there's probably only 5 I would watch, and even this winter season doesn't fill me up with optimism even though i think there's a few good series. Nothing seems to compare to the Fall season.

Can someone answere this question? I've been watching anime for about 3 years I've watched quite a lot but i haven't been following the seasonal releases, I just went with my own flow and did my own research. Only recently have I started following seasonal releases, is there some sort of trend where only one season is jam-packed and spectacular and the others are just Okay?

ReputationRep:
    Actually I take that back, after further inspection of next season i'll most likely watch 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackVenom321)
    After glancing through next seasons list there's probably only 5 I would watch, and even this winter season doesn't fill me up with optimism even though i think there's a few good series. Nothing seems to compare to the Fall season.

Can someone answere this question? I've been watching anime for about 3 years I've watched quite a lot but i haven't been following the seasonal releases, I just went with my own flow and did my own research. Only recently have I started following seasonal releases, is there some sort of trend where only one season is jam-packed and spectacular and the others are just Okay?
    As a rule of thumb, the Winter & Summer seasons are considerably smaller than the Spring & Autumn seasons. Spring & Autumn is when all the big studios launch their flagship shows, where as Summer & Winter are more of a filler season where the smaller studios put out things to avoid competing with the big guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    As a rule of thumb, the Winter & Summer seasons are considerably smaller than the Spring & Autumn seasons. Spring & Autumn is when all the big studios launch their flagship shows, where as Summer & Winter are more of a filler season where the smaller studios put out things to avoid competing with the big guns.
    interesting :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    so nice sharing i like this,,,,,
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Crunchroll somehow stole Hourou Musuko despite Fannymotion's deal that let them license all noitaminA series. :hmmmm2: Not that I'm complaining, quicker releases! :excited: They also have Level E.

ReputationRep:
    Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
    Spoiler:
    Show

Animation Studio: SHAFT
    Japanese Airdate: 6th January 2011
    Seiyuu: Aoi Yuki, Chiwa Saito, Eri Kiramura
    Director: Akiyuki Shinbo (Bakemonogatari, Dance in the Vampire Bund)
    PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByTeuBgAeg

(Original post by Summary:)
    Original series – a twist on the mahou-shoujo genre.
    Madoka is a kind, friendly, but ordinary second year middle school girl. She wonders aloud what she would do if she gained the ability to grant wishes through magic.
    Normally I’d see the ‘mahou-shoujo’ tag and immediately turn up my nose, but this show has me intrigued simply because it has some interesting people working on it (the PR machine is also in overdrive for Madoka – and its working on me). I want to see what kind of spin Shinbo & SHAFT can put on the mahou-shoujo genre – if done correctly this could be a series to look out for.

Madoka Magica is off to an interesting start, but I'm not instantly grabbed by the show. I think it's the amount of utter generic drivel we had to sit through in order to get to the more interesting stuff in the last few minutes. The cold opening to Madoka's dream was also superb, but the dull day-to-day stuff sandwiched in the middle had me fidgeting from boredom. It also has to be said that not very much is explained in this episode - it does nothing to explain the magic system of this world, nor does it indicate what the plot is; I still have no idea what this show is going to be about.

On the production front, Madoka Magica is pure Shinbo/SHAFT - everything we've come to expect from Shinbo is present and accounted for; it feels like something from every previous Shinbo production has been lifted an stuck into Madoka Magica. I loved the design of the dream world Madoka was in at the start of the episode - it was vaguely reminiscent of the good bits of Black Rock Shooter (actually this episode was very reminiscent of the Black Rock Shooter OVA, right down to the huge amount of dull slice-of-life). All the trippy cutout images and artshift to a more solidly coloured, less pastel style during the last few minutes with the real magical girl stuff, really gave the show an interesting feel. The ordinary set designs are also really interesting looking - lots of hard, clean lines and big windows, adding to a feeling of the show being set in the near future. Although I have to say that I really don't like the character designs - I just don't like that style at all.

However, what really kept my attention was the Yuki Kajiura soundtrack. The Claris OP sounds much too like the OP for Oreimo for my liking, but the atmospheric soundtrack in the actual episode completely changed the feel of the show from generic moe show, to an oddly creepy mystery.......what most came to mind, especially during the magical girl battle with the trippy cut outs, was Pandora Hearts as that scene felt very like the one of Oz in the Abyss.

So my interest has properly been piqued by Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. I'm not overly in love with the show but am sufficiently interesting to keep it on.

IS: Infinite Stratos
    Spoiler:
    Show

Animation Studio: 8-Bit
    Seiyuu: Kouki Uchiyama, Yoko Hikasa, Kana Hanazawa, Marina Inoue
    Director: Yasuhito Kikuchi (Macross Frontier, The Legend of Black Heaven)
    PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbYa5at5CA

Anime adaptation of Izuru Yumizuru’s light novel series.
    Infinite Stratos (IS), a weaponized exoskeleton system, has become the dominant tool of warfare and conflict. Unfortunately for the men in society, only women are able to operate Infinite Stratos... with very few exceptions. One of those exceptions is ORIMURA Ichika, an orphan raised by his older sister who is herself a famous IS pilot. When his compatibility with IS is discovered after he accidentally touches an IS at the age of 15, he's given a scholarship and enrolled in a school that specializes in training IS pilots. Which of course means an... interesting life surrounded by girls for this shy, unassuming boy.
    Gut reaction is ‘urgh, generic concept is generic’, however I do like the mecha musume designs in the PV, and the staff & cast isn’t bad. I’ll give it a look, but I’m kind of expecting lots of generic harem antics with a small side of exciting mecha action – not sure how long I’ll last with this.

Infinte Stratos does exactly what it says on the tin, and doesn't even attempt to pretend its anything other than that. Its completely by the numbers, but somehow I don't really begrudge it that - might have something to do with the slick CGI mecha action in the first few minutes! Other than that IS isn't really bring anything new to the table - its you're completely generic harem setup. I do like the male lead though, he's pretty together & normal and there is surprisingly little fanservice of the falling into boobs/flipping skirts variety which gives IS bonus points in my book (although it did have a walk into the shower scene). The world setting and character archetypes are set up quickly and with little fuss too - basically there's very little to really hate about this show since its just going on automatic pilot.

Production is of a reasonable standard - obvious CGI is obvious and character designs have been lifted from every harem series ever, but otherwise there's nothing much to complain about. Music is fine, OP & ED are forgettable - quite like the seiyuu......its very middle of the road and safe.

I'll give it another few episodes to see what the in-show action is like, I may end up sticking with it since its pretty inoffensive and the lead character is likeable.

Yumekui Merry (Dream-eater Merry)

Spoiler:
    Show

Animation Studio: J.C. Staff
    Seiyuu: Ai Kayano, Ayane Sakura, Nobuhiko Okamoto, Aya Endo
    Director: Shigeyasu Yamauchi (Hara Yori Dango, Casshern SINS)
    PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdGmz6P-g5w

Adaptation of Yo****aka Ushiki’s manga series.
    Ten years ago Yumeji Fujiwara noticed he had a power to see multicolored auras surrounding the person's body. Ever since then he's been having a weird dream about a war with cats. Then one day a mysterious girl falls on top of him...
    Oh JC Staff! Are you even trying!? This is almost painfully generic sounding – it even has the magical girlfriend literally falling into the bland male protagonist’s lap! Why is stuff like this popular? Its just beyond me. That being said, the director of Casshern SINS is on board, so there isn’t a lack of talent behind the show……maybe it will surprise me? Or maybe it will turn out like every other JC Staff with this exact concept – only watching the first episode will tell!

Where Infinite Stratos was generic but pretty watchable, Yumekui Merry was generic to the point of tedious - this is indeed exactly the same as every JC Staff anime ever. The only positive thing I really have to say about this initial episode is that the dream sequences were pretty cool - really liked those floating fish bones, and the weirdness of an army of cats. Other than that, Yumekui Merry plays out like every other show of its ilk - the male protagonist isn't quite as bland as Yuuji from Shana, nor is he as interesting as Ryuuji from Toradora - he's in this middle ground of 'meh' that's neither offensively dull nor sufficiently interesting to be deemed likeable. Merry herself seems to exist to provide a wealth of material for merchandise, and doesn't actually seem to possess a personality at all! Basically dreams = fairly interesting, everything else = meh.

Production is actually quite good though, it's as polished as you would expect from JC Staff (they're old hand at this type of series after all), and there were a few nicely directed scenes; although the action left much to be desired - hard to believe this is the same director that brought us the visual marvel of Casshern SINS. OP is pretty decent, ED is forgettable, background music quite decent, voice acting......does the job.

Very underwhelmed by this first episode, don't think I can be bothered watching anymore - I can already predict how the show is going to pan out.

ReputationRep:
    Gosick
    Spoiler:
    Show

Animation Studio: BONES
    Japanese Airdate: 7th January 2011
    Seiyuu: Takuya Eguchi, Hidenobu Kiuchi, Michiko Neya, Miyuki Sawashiro
    Director: Hitoshi Nanba (Baki the Grappler, Heroman)
    PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFLC-SKtFs

~*~Available simulcast on Crunchyroll~*~

Anime adaptation of Kazuki Sakuraba’s light novel series.
    GOSICK takes place in 1924 in a small, made-up European country of Sauville. The story centers on Kazuya Kujo, the third son of a Japanese Imperial soldier, who is a transfer student to St. Marguerite Academy, where urban legends and horror stories are all the rage. There he meets Victorique, a mysterious yet beautiful and brilliant girl who never comes to class and spends her days reading the entire content of the library or solving mysteries that even detectives can't solve.
    I’m interested in Gosick. The historical setting, Sherlock Holmes-esq mysteries and the fact its BONES all really sparked my curiousity – however the director of Heroman has me a touch worried and the PV didn’t really excite me as Victorique just looks like your bog-standard moe girl and generic male lead is generic. Still I’ve heard reasonably good reports about the source material, and BONES are generally quite good at adaptations, so I’m definitely going to give Gosick a good go.

Well that was pretty disappointing. I expected a better hook into the series, but the initial 'mystery' was so simple I had it solved before the detective even finished his monologue! However that wasn't really the worst thing about this initial episode of Gosick - no that award goes to Kujo Kazuya for being the worst type of whiney, spineless, doormat male leads.....and considering he eats up the vast majority of the screentime with genericness oozing from every pore, thats a very bad thing. The characters are bland all round though; Victorique has moment of cute, but is pretty vanilla most of the time, Mr Unicorn head detective seems to be trying too hard and feels out of place in his quirkiness when standing next to the dull as bricks leads. This just isn't what I was expecting from the series at all.

The production values aren't as high as you would expect from BONES, clearly the majority of their budget is still being poured into the eye-candy that is Star Driver; its not a bad looking show though, just rather uninspired in both design and direction. The music is pretty good, and I did like the storybook style of art in the OP & the moody black & white animation of the ED. Voice acting is pretty awful though - Kazuya's wailing & Victorique's monotone don't really make for pleasant listening.

I'm giving Gosick another few episodes to impress me, because there is potential in this show - still a very disappointing start to a show I was looking forward to though.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I know that, being an optimist, I'll struggle to drop a series once I've sampled it (doing so last season was painful, but necessary given my workload). Unless they really are terrible, I'd see their few good points and want to give them a chance. So I appreciate these negative reviews, they make me feel comfortable skipping everything except Madoka for now. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to be optimistic, but its hard in the face of such 'meh-ness'. The only thing thats sparked my interest is Madoka, and thats only down to the Shinbo/SHAFT visuals and the dark atmosphere the Kajiura score creates.

Fingers crossed for noitaminA!

ReputationRep:
    Freezing
    Spoiler:
    Show

Animation Studio: A.C.G.T.
    Japanese Airdate: 8th January 2011
    Seiyuu: Kana Hanazawa, Mamiko Noto, Misuhiro Ichiki, Ami Koshimizu
    Director: Takashi Watanabe (Ikkitousen, Shakugan no Shana)
    PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ljt1b5aPc

(Original post by Summary: )
    Anime adaptation of Dall-Young Lim & Kim Kwang Hyun’s manga series.
    Set in a slightly futuristic world where Earth has been invaded and is at war with aliens from another dimension called the Nova, the story follows the adventures of a Japanese boy named Kazuya Aoi who enrolls for training at a special school for genetically modified girls called Pandoras who battle the aliens, and their male partners, called Limiters, who use a special power called "freezing" to limit their opponent's mobility. The protagonist makes the acquaintance of an unusual older girl named Bridgette L. Satellizer who appears to be the most powerful Pandora in her class, but has not yet chosen a male partner to be her Limiter, and in spite of the warnings of all his friends, he decides to be her Limiter.
    Ah. Here we have the classic action girl series, complete with disappearing clothing (seriously, why don’t they make their clothes out of the same material as their underwear? – that stuff is indestructible!). Freezing’s PV looks like it wants to be all srsbns, but then the website has a mini-game section where you shoot the clothing of a variety of female characters…….classy stuff. The premise could have been interesting, but I doubt that Freezing will amount to more than fanservice given its director and the promo art.

Ok, I'm a bit confused by what this show wants to do. On one had the alien fighting business all feels very Evangelion/RahXephon (even the Nova aliens character designs seem vaguely Angel/Dolem like), and the girls with their materialising outfits/weapons makes it seem like a much more srsbns Mai Otome given the amount of bloodshed/gore......but then there's the huge amount of fanservice and the male protagonist (who is another of those cookie cutter losers) diving headfirst into the lead female's massive cleavage! It doesn't really seem to gel right and I'm left wondering if I'm meant to be taking Freezing seriously or not. I really wasn't expecting to come out of the first episode feeling like this - I fully expected to be completely dismissive of Freezing in a similar way to Queens Blade & Ikkitousen, but instead I feel like I have to watch another few episodes to judge just what Freezing wants to do.......although given the fanservicey OP & ED and the way the camera is glued to crotches/boobs I think I already know.

On the production front it’s fairly solid. The character designs are fairly generic, but pretty, and I quite like the alien designs & world setting. As I mentioned the camera is determined to either show us boobs/arses but it’s also fascinated by the copious amount of blood being sprayed all over the show.....which gets annoying fast. The soundtrack is good and there's talent in the cast, wasn't much fussed on the OP or ED though.

It’s a good start to the show over all though, whether you like plot in your fanservice show, or fanservice in your plot Freezing is probably worth checking out. However this episode was largely devoid of the lead male, and judging by how he instantly soured the show at the end by glomping the lead girl and sobbing, I'm really not expecting great things from him. I will be giving Freezing the 3 episode test to determine how big a liability he's going to be.

Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! (I don’t like you at all Big Brother!!)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Animation Studio: ZEXCS
    Seiyuu: Eri Kitamura, Toshiyuki Toyonaga, Marina Inoue, Ryoko Shiraishi
    Director: Keitaro Motonaga (Princess Princess, School Days)
    PV:

Anime adaptation of Kouichi Kusano’s manga series.
    Junior High student Nao's brother complex is so strong, it's almost at the point of incest. She's determined to make her brother, High School student Shuusuke, see her as a woman. So determined, that she goes as far as going into his room to throw away all his non-incest related porn. But as she's looking for his porno stash, she finds a photo album... and she's not in any of his childhood pictures.
    Urgh! Look at those hideous character designs! The main girl looks like some sort of mutant giraffe-woman! Premise also has me running for the hills, as this series is clearly going for the incest end right from the beginning – but it’s OK, they’re apparently not blood related! Expectations are on the floor for this – what’s with all the incest Japan!? I do not like this new moe sub-genre! (although id the director of School Days suddenly turns this into a potential Nice Boat ending, I may be compelled to watch).

Oh god. This was so painful to watch - I hadn't even reached the OP and was ready to bail! However with much cringing (and stopping to facepalm at the state of the industry), I made it through the entire episode. You know I could kind of understand why someone would enjoy a show like this if it was well written and nicely animated.....but OniiZen is neither of those things. My initial reaction during the episode was "what the hell is wrong with that girl!?" because her whole goal in life seems to be to make her brother molest her. It’s kind of disturbing the lengths she goes to and how calculated her moves are....I wouldn't be surprised if she turned all out yandere and threatened the poor wimpy, perverted boy into sleeping with her! Also her reaction to finding out that she isn't blood related was completely warped - finding out something so momentous and all she could think was that her dreams of a torrid incestuous relationship were ruined, and then did a complete 180 to bouncing about the place because it meant she could legitimately marry her brother! Urgh - so awful.....and judging from the ED it’s going to turn into a harem.

Now if you thought that the plot was bad, that was nothing compared to the animation that assaults your eyes & the music that rapes your ears. In all seriousness, who thought that these character designs were attractive and fanservice material!? At least in freezing the girls resemble girls rather than mutant giraffe creatures! What’s with the gangly limbs? I know CLAMP are fond of their noodle physics, but this takes the biscuit! And then there's the weirdly long, bony torsos, stick like necks & huge heads with saucer-like ears sticking straight out the sides! URGH! It’s hideous! On what level is seeing these mutants half dressed fanservice?

The OP & ED were both terrible. My immediate reaction to the OP was to fling my headphones off in horror - twas awful. Was slightly better prepared for the ED, but that doesn't make it any better. Voice acting.....I didn't pay much attention to as I was too busy recoiling from the awful.

So yeah. This was every bit as wrong and hideous as I was expecting - dropping like the flaming bag of giraffe crap it is!

Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu!
    Spoiler:
    Show

Animation Studio: Bridge
    Seiyuu: Ayahi Takagaki, Haruka Tomatsu, Satomi Akesaka, Hiro Shimono
    Director: Masahiko Ohta (Minami-ke, Mitsudomoe)
    PV:

(Original post by Summary: )
    Second season of the anime adaptation of Norio Sakurai’s manga series.
    Satoshi Yabe alias Yabe-cchi is just starting his new life as an elementary school teacher. On his first day of work he falls in love immediately with the natural airhead School Nurse, little does he know that in his assigned class the law is made by the Marui triplets. Can Yabe-cchi survive this ordeal or will the three sisters get the best of him ...
    This sequel is only 8 episodes long, and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Regardless I’ll be watching this since I watched (and quite enjoyed) season one. The weird thing about Mitsudomoe is how the characters grow on you – the humour is repetitive and crude, but the characters have a strange charm that really appealed to me. Mitsudomoe was a surprise to me when it aired a few seasons ago.

So the primary worry when I heard that there was going to be a Mitsudomoe sequel, was that there wouldn't be enough variety in the comedy to justify it. I'm very pleased to be proven wrong - this episode was a great laugh. Basically it was one long Gachi Ranger's episode spoofing the hell out of the sentai genre, and it was a lot of fun. I'm glad that Mitsudomoe is showing some variety as it's over reliance on one gag in S1 was the show's biggest flaw. However since this episode was one big parody it’s difficult to judge what the rest of the episodes will be about - the triplets only cameo in the episode, and the rest of the cast were featured in the ED animation, but that’s about the height of the character involvement this week.

I loved the parody Gachi Ranger's OP this week - it made me giggle throughout, and the ED was lots of fun, with the main cast showing up dressed as Gachi Rangers. Animation remains the same as the first season - character designs are an acquired taste in Mitsudomoe, and the main cast is also returning to their roles.

S2 is off to a good start, looking forward to the rest. If you've watched S1 you already know what to expect!

Beelzebub
    Spoiler:
    Show

Animation Studio: Studio Pierrot
    Japanese Airdate: 9th January 2011
    Seiyuu: Katsuyuki Konishi, Aki Toysaki, Shizuka Itou, Takahiro Mizushima
    Director: Nobuhiro Takamoto (07-Ghost, Ookamikakushi)
    PV:

Anime adaptation of Ryuuhei Tamura’s shounen manga.
    The story follows the "strongest juvenile delinquent", Oga Tatsumi, a first year in "Ishiyama High" the school for delinquents. One day while sleeping next to a river he sees a man floating down it, he pulls him to shore and the man splits in half revealing a baby boy. This boy is the son of the demon king and he has been chosen as the one to raise it with the baby's demon maid Hilda. The story follows his life with the child and at the delinquent school.
    I got into this manga at the start of the year and blitzed through it while laughing my head off. It’s a very fun series, but is kind of getting repetitive now. Still I’m really looking forward to this anime adaptation – its got some great seiyuu on board and Studio Pierrot are old hand at Shounen Jump series at this stage, so I can’t really see this series failing to entertain. Basically if you have any weakness for shounen series, Beelzebub will be worth looking at; it’s a series that knows its target audience well.

Ah this is off to a good start - its every bit as stupid, overblown and juvenile as I was hoping; Beelzebub is a lot of fun! There was an over reliance on baby Beel's electro-shock gimmick (making him seem more like an irritable Pikachu than a potential demon lord), which got old pretty quickly, and Furuichi is much more highly strung than I recall him being in the manga; but overall it was a very faithful adaptation of the start of the manga. It’s all very run of the mill shounen, but it’s good for a laugh. I'm quite looking forward to adding Beelzebub to the plethora of Shounen Jump series I'm currently watching weekly.

In terms of production, well it’s not going to bowl you over with stunning visuals, nor is it eye cancer - its middle of the road in terms of quality, but there are some great reaction faces and plenty of power aura's flying about the place already. The OP was fantastic - song was perfect for the show (sort of reminded me of the 1st Welcome to the NHK ED), and the animation pretty fun too - ED was pretty decent as well! Voice cast is pretty decent - Katsuyuki Konishi pretty much nailed Oda's hot tempered personality and it was pretty hilarious to hear Miyuki Sawashiro voicing Baby Beel's limited vocabulary of 'Daaa!' 'Buuu!' and 'Waaaah!!'

So a solid start to Beelzebub, I'll definitely be keeping it on. It’s not going to set the world alight with originality, but it’s good for a laugh.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    I guess I should crosspost my thoughts from this season from Cara's blog on here:

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica turned out to be reasonably interesting, largely because Shaft and Shinbo are at the helm for this one. I’m not overly fond with the character design, but I can see myself adjusting to it in time. Aside from this, my main concern with the characters themselves will be the lack of development for Madoka and Homura as the series transpires (who are at present fairly conventional). Still, I’m willing to maintain an open mind and hope that it’ll deliver something more than what I’m expecting. One to keep an eye on, in any case.

In a similar vein, I’ll have to reserve judgement as to whether I’ll continue with Yumekui Merry weekly or not. I didn’t find the first episode tedious, per se, and actually favoured the cliched high school setting. Clearly, my enjoyment isn’t dependant on originality, even though, in spite of this, I agree that the dream like sequences were quite interesting to watch. It’s difficult to make a decision from the opening episode alone and knowing me, even if I don’t watch this weekly, I’ll probably marathon through it when it finishes.
    http://caraniel.wordpress.com/2011/0...gica/#comments

It’s safe to say that Infinite Stratos will probably become my guilty pleasure of the season. The first episode had me hooked throughout. The CG was nicely executed referencing to the opening scene, and the generic and inevitable harem is positively embraced on my part. So, yeah, I’m definitely picking this one up. Oh, and I agree, the male lead is fortunately likeable (Kouki’s voice is largely accountable for this), which is very much the determiner as to whether I can enjoy this series or not. If he was whiny and, quite frankly, pathetic, that would have greatly lessened my anticipation, so thankfully he isn’t.

Conversely, I was expecting a lot more from Gosick in account of the studio responsible, but agree that the production is far from Bones’s best and is decidedly average in comparison with their other works. The introduction also felt rushed, hardly allowing enough time to acquaint the viewer with the characters, who are, incidentally, rather bland and predictable. That said, it’s only the first episode, so I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve seen a few more. But yes, from the first episode alone, I definitely expected a lot more from this.
    http://caraniel.wordpress.com/2011/0...sick/#comments

Will relay my thoughts on Freezing and Beelzebub shortly. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    I've downloaded a few of the series and I'll hopefully get around to watching them tonight. I watched through the titles of Gosick and found it to be very lighthearted for something with that name (which I presume is supposed to be similar to Gothic?)

I've also got Yumekui Merry and Infinite Stratos. Is Beelzebub a long-running series? If it is, I wont be picking that up. I'm also in the process of grabbing Wolverine... let's hope it's not a massive disappointment like Iron Man
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastLordofTime)
    I'm also in the process of grabbing Wolverine... let's hope it's not a massive disappointment like Iron Man
    Fortunately, it isn't. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Fortunately, it isn't. :smile:
    :woo: I could do with an extra show. I went by with only Index during the Autumn Season (but I love Index, so it's ok ).

I tend not to watch much anymore... Or I plan to, and then they just get backlogged and I give up. Next term I'm in 3 days a week, but have some pretty big productions to deal with, which will probably eat up all that spare time... Which is unfortunate really.

Supernatural is this season too, right? That's definitely going on my list 'cause I love the original
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastLordofTime)
    :woo: I could do with an extra show. I went by with only Index during the Autumn Season (but I love Index, so it's ok ).
    Well, I'm only basing this off the first episode, which wasn't amazing by any means, but certainly better than Iron Man. :tongue:

With Index 2, I'd like to see more of an intertwining of the characters from Index and Railgun, where they are both involved in a major arc (especially Toma and Mikoto). At present, there's still a separation between the two worlds of magic and science.

I tend not to watch much anymore... Or I plan to, and then they just get backlogged and I give up. Next term I'm in 3 days a week, but have some pretty big productions to deal with, which will probably eat up all that spare time... Which is unfortunate really.
    Yeah, time is always an issue, which is why I typically prefer to watch in batches. I find it easier to time manage when I watch that way. :smile:

Supernatural is this season too, right? That's definitely going on my list 'cause I love the original
    Yup, but not until the end of next month, so there's still a wait for this one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.