Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

18 year old male learning to drive with Automatic? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's not embarrassing but I think it's bad, you'll restrict yourself. You say you're lazy which makes me think that maybe you're trying to run before you can walk? I would keep at the Manual. Even people who pass their test still stall, 10 hours isn't much practice with a car if you've never driven! Stop being lazy, and get to it! :P

You're allowed to stall in lessons, that's kind of the point. If you're really REALLY struggling, find an instructor with a diesel, but that will put you out of skill when it comes to driving your first petrol after you've passed. Learning to drive automatic limits yourself, and yes, you will be mocked by your friends. There's nothing difficult about driving a manual, it's getting used to doing three things at once. Once you're used to it, it's easy, and far more fun than driving an automatic.

ReputationRep:
      There's no problem driving a automatic car in the america and canada everyone learns automatic as thats the normal.
      I've got my manual license but don't want to drive a manual car cause it's so fiddly with the gears.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gemma :)!)
      Tbh I'd say if it makes you feel it's easier, and you can pass quicker, go for automatic!
      I completely disagree.

OP: definitely go for a manual driving license; even if it takes you longer to learn, you'll be able to drive all cars when you pass, as opposed to just automatics.

Most cars will be automatic in a few years anyway so you might a well :P
      That's bullsh*t...

I don't really understand why they even MAKE manuals.. it's a lot of messing around when there's no need!
      A manual gearbox makes driving fun...

ReputationRep:
      Lol responses on this thread are stupid. If you're uncomfortable with manual then just drive automatic. It will be cheaper and take a lot less lessons.

ReputationRep:
      If you can't drive with a manual then you can't drive. It's like riding a bike with stabilisers.

ReputationRep:
      Learn in an automatic, no one needs to know you can't drive a manual. But even if they do its not a bad thing, just say you intend on being very well off some day soon, and then you plan on getting a Phantom and a Range Rover Sport - so knowing how to drive a manual car is a waste of time

ReputationRep:
      You'd lose man points with me, m'afraid.

(Original post by sk88)
        Learn in an automatic, no one needs to know you can't drive a manual. But even if they do its not a bad thing, just say you intend on being very well off some day soon, and then you plan on getting a Phantom and a Range Rover Sport - so knowing how to drive a manual car is a waste of time
        That actually makes no sense whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by FXX)
        That actually makes no sense whatsoever.
        Most luxury cars are automatic.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by imabigboynow)
        Is it bad or embarassing if i learn to drive with an automatic gear box instead of manual. The thing is i had 11 lessons with manual and felt like i was making slow progress and it was a bit of a struggle for me i was still stalling in my 10th lesson. I am thinking of learning how to drive this january with an Automatic gear box but i think my friends will mock me about it. I am the type of person that dont really care what people think and do what i feel is right so uno. I just wanna know if you guys will look at a 18 year old boy differently if he drives an automatic.
        Blad, howz u gonna do a sick gear transition if you ridin auto whn you iz racin and **** fam?

Man up and learn manual, it was only your tenth lesson.

ReputationRep:
        I plan on doing automatic, makes the hassle of learning to drive much easier in my opinion

(Original post by sk88)
          Most luxury cars are automatic.
          I see. But most sports cars aren't, so I guess that's where I'm thinking there's a problem.
          • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
          manuals are easy once you get the hang of it... and its a lot easier to find a cheap manual car than a cheap automatic when you come to get your first car!

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Jellybean91)
          manuals are easy once you get the hang of it... and its a lot easier to find a cheap manual car than a cheap automatic when you come to get your first car!
          And a lot cheaper to replace a worn clutch/ replace a gearbox than have repairs done to an automatic.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
          Aye, but the future will be flappy paddles.

No clutch pedal - you still decide what gear you're in and when, but the actually process of changing gears is fully automated.

I'm not sure where I stand with that.
          You mean semi auto, where there are 2 transmissions, so you dont need to the cut the power to the engine manually via the clutch, you still shift gears up or down, either with a gear stick or paddles (paddles/stick is the same essientially) and i think you're wrong because flappy paddles are a luxury cars options not a standard car, and defintely not a first time car.
          I think the whole point of gear shifting in a semi auto is still manual driving, since you manually decide when to up the gears or to drop down a gear, so i would presume he would need a manual license anyway

mate just man up and learn manual even if it takes you 25lessons, since honestly you're gna need few more hours of plain auto driving to get road experience anyway... plus do you really want to be forever be known as a worse driver than most women, because that banter will deffo be coming your way...

ReputationRep:
          I have been driving a manual for about 6 cars but my next car will be an auto. I had a courtesy car in auto and I couldnt believe how much less faffing around it is. Seriously.

Automatic cars are the future trust me. The newest VW DSG gearboxes are meant to be really good and I would get one if I could afford it. In a few years when the latest models come down in price I will certainly get one.

They are now matching manuals in petrol useage and in the VW DSG boxes they can get to 0-60 quicker than a manual because the gearbox is that good. As mentioned above they also allow manual control of the gearbox by use of the gearknob or some cases the flappy paddle, although you prob wont need to use the manual side of it.

Thats said I would say its still worth passing in a manual as it gives you more options in the cars you can drive plus you wont ever be stuck if you need to drive an auto suddenly. Its not that hard and you will get used to it.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by ritchie888)
          Don't understand cars, do you?
          Go easy on the sammich makers, it's not their fault.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by imabigboynow)
          This is the main reason, i want to enjoy driving and when i drive manual i hate it, i keep stalling and other drivers give get annoyed. So automatic it is.
          You'll enjoy driving a manual far more than you'll enjoy driving an automatic, seriously.

I don't know why you're worried about stalling. It will happen all the way up until the last lesson before your test, during your test, and after your test. There's nothing wrong with it.

I can't even tell you how many times I've stalled in the McDonald's drive thru after shouting at friends to shut up and tell me their orders one at a time. You get a lot of banter about it and it's all in good fun.

It's only stressful on a lesson because it's a lesson! Otherwise you just won't care. Well, unless you do it in the middle of a box junction - then you can get stressed out about it!

Just learn in a manual, Jesus! It's really not difficult. Change into second ASAP, you don't always need to be in 4th if you're only going at 30, and don't be afraid to skip gears (either up or down) - I think some instructors tell you off for it but there is really nothing wrong with it. If you can feel that you're about to stall, push the clutch down and apply the handbrake; take a breath and carry on.

So many young women pass their manual tests every year, why can't you?

ReputationRep:
          As people have said, having a manual licence has many advantages.

You don't even have to be a good driver (vehicle control wise) to pass; when I knew I fialed my first test due to observational errors I tested this out, stalling, over-revving etc. and revieced no minors in the vehicle control section.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.