Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Q: Extra Time in Exams for Wrong-Handed People? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    Where did YOU go to school at?

A state school in Poland between 1939 and 1945?

But seriously, that's unbelievable, especially as 1 in 3 are left handed.
    Wikipedia says 8-15%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-handedness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    It's genetic... People don't just "decide" to be left or right-handed.

That wasn't the issue. I was asking about people who were meant to be writing with their right hand genetically but, through nurture, are now obliged to write with their left hand. The problem in the exam might be that people find it more difficult to write clearly and legibly as well as at a correct speed.
    No it is NOT genetic, I'm not sure where you get your science from. There are twins who are left/right handed, in fact, I KNOW a pair. And twins have the same genes.

Besides, both my parents are right handed, with 4 kids. 2 left handed, 2 right handed. It's not genetics, you probably mean they learned to use left in the first place, but once they reach a certain age are forced to use their right hands by their elders.

ReputationRep:
    I knew someone in high school (so, my age) who used to write with his left had but his primary school made him use his right. It does happen!
    I see no reason to give extra time for it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    No it is NOT genetic, I'm not sure where you get your science from. There are twins who are left/right handed, in fact, I KNOW a pair. And twins have the same genes.

Besides, both my parents are right handed, with 4 kids. 2 left handed, 2 right handed. It's not genetics, you probably mean they learned to use left in the first place, but once they reach a certain age are forced to use their right hands by their elders.
    It's genetics, or its something that develops in the womb. Where do you get your science from? Have you even done basic genetics? Recessive and dominant? Are they identical twins? To be honest, you can't really tell if they are or not because even twins such as Mary Kate and Ashley Olson aren't identical twins and its not something you can tell by looking at them.

EDIT: Had to add in that "or" which was wrong. It's either genetic, or its something to do with testosterone. Something that isn't from "nurture"

ReputationRep:
    I know some kids at my school have scribes for exams, not necessarily dumb kids, but their handwriting is so bad that they have someone write for them. Maybe if you fake having terrible, unreadable handwriting you could get away with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    It's genetics, or its something that develops in the womb. Where do you get your science from? Have you even done basic genetics? Recessive and dominant? Are they identical twins? To be honest, you can't really tell if they are or not because even twins such as Mary Kate and Ashley Olson aren't identical twins and its not something you can tell by looking at them.

EDIT: Had to add in that "or" which was wrong. It's either genetic, or its something to do with testosterone. Something that isn't from "nurture"
    Handedness is something that develops in the womb, it is not genetics, but it is something you tend to be born with. Identical twins are actually highly likely to be oppositely handed. Just to clear this whole issue up

ReputationRep:
    As a lefty, i had no idea people in the modern world are forced to write right handed.
    Has this happened to anyone here? I'm instantly intrigued you see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    EDIT2: Let me make it clear that I ask simply out of curiosty. I am not in the situation described below...

Just wondering whether students who were born to be left-handed but were forced to write with their right hand - and are now only able to write with their right hand - are allowed extra time during exams, like dyslexic students?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I ask because a friend said so and I was very sceptical
    For the situation you're describing no. I thought you meant in case of injury etc, in which case you can get extra time - I had a problem with my hand last year which meant I was unable to write and had to take my ASs right-handed instead of left-handed and got extra time for that reason, but not if it's been effectively your whole life.

ReputationRep:
    I think anyone who writes very slowly can apply for extra time, so if you wrote sufficiently slowly due to being cross handed you could be eligible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)

You said it yourself, I've always thought it was that. Since that also determines which thumb you suck and whatnot, you decide in your womb....

Fact* ''20% of all identical twin pairs have one right handed twin and one left handed''. I even know a pair of identicals with this, so if there is even 1 or 2 pairs, it's obviously not genetic.

ReputationRep:
    My friend was made to write with her right hand coz her grandma wanted her and her twin to be totally identical. She says it's a Chinese thing :dontknow:

(Original post by jimcatinnes)
    Did this person being forced to write with there right hand go to a catholic school by any chance? They tend to shun lefties due to the ties with witches. (I know this from personal experience, not from large assumptions)
    What kinda of Catholic school did you go to? I've been to 7 (moved around a lot!), and never experienced anything like this.

Obviously I was lucky!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.