Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cenotaph flag-swinging Pink Floyd son arrested Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    It's the principle, that cenotaph is there as a memorial to 10,000s of military who gave up their lives over 2 world wars to ensure protests like this could even happen

As for 'police brutality', don't make me laugh. The public don't have 1 iota of sympathy for yobs intent on violence and destruction. If you can't protest peacefully, don't cry like babies when you get hurt
    Oh yes. Because that student in the wheelchair was seriously violent. Police had to ast forcefully, he was a big threat.

The police in no way directed their violence only too the yobs in the mix.

ReputationRep:
    The police today proved they are extremely stupid by suggesting the use of water cannons at the next riots

1. Students who are peacefully protesting will get hurt as a result
    2. Those students will then get more angry and resort to violence to retaliate
    3. The water cannon uses gallons of water - our water bills continue to go up during strained times
    4. It can spray up to 250 gallons per minute - this could be used across the country
    5. The money used to deploy the cannons is wasted and could be spent elsewhere
    6. Its more than likely going to be attacked, vandalised and maybe even set on fire
    7. The use of cannons in cities is pathetic - as the water cannon moves in to position then the protesters will run around streets corners off the assigned route and cause further carnage and chaos due to being angry and provoked because of the cannon. If the police kettle them and spray them then there will be a lot of people getting seriously hurt - so both methods will be a waste of time
    8. The more weapons the police start using the more weapons the students/yobs etc will start to use in retaliation - a lot of the yobs going along are part of organised inner city gangs and do have links to places where they can get knives/guns and so on so if the police escalate it by using more powerful weapons then the students will hit it up a notch as well - the law does say reasonable force - what is deemed reasonable force against a water cannon ?
    9. If the cannons are used at this protest then the protest after that will see students/yobs turn up prepared to face the cannon leading towards full scale chaos.
    10. When the police riot over the police budget cut will the police get sprayed by the army ? No, so why should students. Students have just as much right to protest. The police will damage the economy more than the students have anyway by striking which will leave thousands of crimes go on hitting the taxpayer harder than ever. The petty vandalism is nothing - graffiti is easy to move and the smashed in windows are cosmetic damages at most - I'm pretty sure the government can use MY LOVELY TAXPAYING CASH to sort it out anyway. They usually use it without asking anyway.

I can't wait until the police riot and the tables are turned because I want to see what the government does to them. The police force are hiding behind their badge in every single way. If they knew what was right they'd riot with the students because at the end of the day

1. Students face higher fees
    2. Police face job losses and cuts

Just wait and see when the police are being targeted by this government. I can't wait to see all the little coppers at the dole queue claiming JSA - who's worse then huh?

A student trying to learn and not claiming ( as they are loans ) or an ex copper at the dole queue leeching off society? the police in this country make me sick. Lost full respect for them, and to think at one point I wanted to be one - what a ******* I must have been a few years back.

All the police do is lick the governments ass.

Clegg licks Camerons ass and the police lick both their asses. What a laughing stock ! Lets see if their ass licking saves them their jobs.

Below is a picture of a protester from Germany who was hit by a cannon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Syd > David.
    If Syd had been at the protests he would have been playing with liters too, or painting something weird on the ground, only to find himself in the middle of a load of wet paint with no way to get out.

I like the kid's boots. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    The police today proved they are extremely stupid by suggesting the use of water cannons at the next riots

1. Students who are peacefully protesting will get hurt as a result
    2. Those students will then get more angry and resort to violence to retaliate
    3. The water cannon uses gallons of water - our water bills continue to go up during strained times
    4. It can spray up to 250 gallons per minute - this could be used across the country
    5. The money used to deploy the cannons is wasted and could be spent elsewhere
    6. Its more than likely going to be attacked, vandalised and maybe even set on fire
    7. The use of cannons in cities is pathetic - as the water cannon moves in to position then the protesters will run around streets corners off the assigned route and cause further carnage and chaos due to being angry and provoked because of the cannon. If the police kettle them and spray them then there will be a lot of people getting seriously hurt - so both methods will be a waste of time
    8. The more weapons the police start using the more weapons the students/yobs etc will start to use in retaliation - a lot of the yobs going along are part of organised inner city gangs and do have links to places where they can get knives/guns and so on so if the police escalate it by using more powerful weapons then the students will hit it up a notch as well - the law does say reasonable force - what is deemed reasonable force against a water cannon ?
    9. If the cannons are used at this protest then the protest after that will see students/yobs turn up prepared to face the cannon leading towards full scale chaos.
    10. When the police riot over the police budget cut will the police get sprayed by the army ? No, so why should students. Students have just as much right to protest. The police will damage the economy more than the students have anyway by striking which will leave thousands of crimes go on hitting the taxpayer harder than ever. The petty vandalism is nothing - graffiti is easy to move and the smashed in windows are cosmetic damages at most - I'm pretty sure the government can use MY LOVELY TAXPAYING CASH to sort it out anyway. They usually use it without asking anyway.

I can't wait until the police riot and the tables are turned because I want to see what the government does to them. The police force are hiding behind their badge in every single way. If they knew what was right they'd riot with the students because at the end of the day

1. Students face higher fees
    2. Police face job losses and cuts

Just wait and see when the police are being targeted by this government. I can't wait to see all the little coppers at the dole queue claiming JSA - who's worse then huh?

A student trying to learn and not claiming ( as they are loans ) or an ex copper at the dole queue leeching off society? the police in this country make me sick. Lost full respect for them, and to think at one point I wanted to be one - what a ******* I must have been a few years back.

All the police do is lick the governments ass.

Clegg licks Camerons ass and the police lick both their asses. What a laughing stock ! Lets see if their ass licking saves them their jobs.

Below is a picture of a protester from Germany who was hit by a cannon.

Why do you automatically assume that everyone is so self interested that they'll inevitably be aghast if a cut affects them? Not everyone believes the sole function of government should be to service their particular needs or desires. Its entirely possible to be a policeman who sees the need for cuts whilst acknowledging that he or she may be a casualty of those cuts, and likewise for a student to deem the new system better even if it means they'll end up paying more. I know that's how I felt as the first year of students to face top up fees.

ReputationRep:
    It's the principle, that cenotaph is there as a memorial to 10,000s of military who gave up their lives over 2 world wars to ensure protests like this could even happen

As for 'police brutality', don't make me laugh. The public don't have 1 iota of sympathy for yobs intent on violence and destruction. If you can't protest peacefully, don't cry like babies when you get hurt
    You're scum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopi, ffs)
    If Syd had been at the protests he would have been playing with liters too, or painting something weird on the ground, only to find himself in the middle of a load of wet paint with no way to get out.

I like the kid's boots. :moon:
    My comment has absolutely nothing to do with the protests.

(Original post by Captain92)

Gilmour is amazing
    He's alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    He's alright.
    Lol I just love his voice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    You're scum.
    And you're a penis

Come back when your balls have dropped low enough so I can actually tell you've got any

ReputationRep:
    It takes balls to swing off a Union Jack at the Cenotaph.

I thought it was quite funny.

I'm probs going into the army, and if I die I'm giving the student mob the right to swing off my awesome memorial in protest at the government raping our education as much as they like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj_945)

I'm probs going into the army, and if I die I'm giving the student mob the right to swing off my awesome memorial in protest at the government raping our education as much as they like
    Hopefully, rather than being shot, you'll come back minus your arms and hands, and blind, so you won't be able to use a computer anymore. I'd personally find that 'quite funny'

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, rather than being shot, you'll come back minus your arms and hands, and blind, so you won't be able to use a computer anymore. I'd personally find that 'quite funny'

It's frankly disgraceful that you could say that about someone entering the armed forces to defend your country and protect your very freedom of speech :mad::mad::mad:

ReputationRep:

lol you're going to have your own personal memorial?

ReputationRep:
    It's frankly disgraceful that you could say that about someone entering the armed forces to defend your country and protect your very freedom of speech :mad::mad::mad:
    You're not in the army though, you're sat behind a computer pretending you might one day join up

Are you at university? Why do you need a degree to go to Afghanistan to shoot people?

NEXT

ReputationRep:
    I love this sentence:

"In another possible sign of sinister intent, he wore latex gloves during the demonstration."

Was the sinister intent to give a policeman a prostate exam?

ReputationRep:
    And you're a penis

Come back when your balls have dropped low enough so I can actually tell you've got any
    Why would you be looking, anyway? That sort of thing get you off? Go troll somewhere else, loser.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone had 'Comfortably Dumb' yet?

BTW
    WTF's this schoolboy doing on here?

ReputationRep:
    You're not in the army though, you're sat behind a computer pretending you might one day join up

Are you at university? Why do you need a degree to go to Afghanistan to shoot people?

NEXT
    You basically need a degree to become a commissioned officer. And I'm learning Arabic so that I can understand their formerly indecipherable terrorist ramblings so as better to kill them.

Well you're sat behind your computer insulting future members of the armed forces :mad:

I still can't believe you're so disrespectful to someone who's going to join up:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: you're on their side aren't you you traitor:mad::mad::mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Why would you be looking, anyway? That sort of thing get you off? Go troll somewhere else, loser.
    So you call me names for no reason and I'm the 'troll'. Nice one, loser

ReputationRep:
    i think who has most to answer from is: cambridge university.

what are they teaching and who are they admitting if a 2nd year history student doesnt even know what the cenotaph is?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the protests, and can understand the violence in retaliation towards police, but what they did to the Cenotaph and I heard someone urinated on a statue of Churchill, is absolutely despicable. I hope these people in no way represent students as a whole.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.