Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Carlos Tevez earns £286,000-a-week tax free Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    I'm just increasingly coming to appreciate that watching most PL football doesn't represent value for money. It's an overpriced situation, watching overrated players.

I don't earn enough at the moment to be able to afford to see PL football, with the possible exception of seeing Bolton, Blackburn and Wigan home games, which can be considerably cheaper than watching a United home game. When I think what I can do with £40-£50, what I can use it for/put that amount of money towards x, y and z, then think about the fact that in buying a United ticket, I'd be contributing to Rooney's repulsive wage at United, then I have serious reservations to see United. And the fact that Rooney is a ****...
    Same. City arent too bad with ticket prices as far as season tickets go but I dont live in England anymore so its not an option like it use to be. Past few months Ive been watching a lot more German football along with English and Scottish matches. It can be a lot worse. Irish League football clubs can charge around £20 for a "big" match and the quality of the game is about the same as English conference north/south with even less fans. My local team is cheap and gets no more than 50 people a game with an away following of about 5.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats to all the morons buying tickets to watch these guys play

ReputationRep:
    Repulsive and I'd be saying the same thing if he was playing for Man United.

Wages like this will increasingly put people off football - wages like this will destroy football or at least kill the soul of football.

Things like this that stop me from watching PL football. I'm not keen, for instance, paying £40+ to watch United at Old Trafford, as I'm contributing to Rooney's ridiculous weekly wage, not to mention that he's a **** and I'm paying that ****'s wage.
    tbf, if someone offers your £286k a week you're not going to turn around and say "nah I want a lot less because that's ridiculous"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    I am aware of the differences between Tevez's style and Drogba's and Villa's. However, at the highest level, who has performed best consistently? Villa has(for Spain and now for Barca), Torres has(for Liverpool), Drogba has(for Chelsea). Tevez had one good season last year for City, but at United, when he was playing at the top of Europe and the top of the league's standards, he was at best good, not world class. World class players are not ones who have a single good season, that is why Tevez is not one (at least not yet).
    If you know the differences than you shouldn't make daft comparisons. How exactly are you suppose to compare a player like Torres who is quick and a brilliant finisher, but won't do much else, and whos team specifically has him doing little else, to a player who will run 90 yards to get a ball back? When he was playing for United he was playing with a player whos almost the exact same in style and even build. Who was suppose to be playing who onto the ball in the box? Rooney or Tevez? Who was to drop deeper, who was to chase? They hadn't a clue. Oh, and scoring 5 goals when you won the Champions League.

Tevez has had one good season for City because he's only played one full season for City. :rolleyes: Ironic that in his only season for us he scored 23 goals in the league, and has scored a good few in this half of the season isnt it :rolleyes: not world class my hole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    Same. City arent too bad with ticket prices as far as season tickets go but I dont live in England anymore so its not an option like it use to be. Past few months Ive been watching a lot more German football along with English and Scottish matches. It can be a lot worse. Irish League football clubs can charge around £20 for a "big" match and the quality of the game is about the same as English conference north/south with even less fans. My local team is cheap and gets no more than 50 people a game with an away following of about 5.
    the pricing of football can be truly bizarre. £16 quid (£18 in the main stand) to watch Stockport County in league 2 ffs(!) but for games at Blackburn, Wigan and Bolton, IIRC, it can only be something like £4 more to watch some games. Seeing Bolton at that price, and with how they're playing, is a bit of a steal tbh.

as long as players put in a shift and work hard, then that's not too bad. But I've watched a fair bit of Stockport County this season and to fork out £16 per game to watch the crap that's been served out, **** them tbh. At least with Tevez you know you're getting a 100% work ethic even if he can be a scrote at times. However there's only so much scroteness myself as a fan can tolerate, before it becomes too much and you think, "**** it, I'll spend money elsewhere".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    tbf, if someone offers your £286k a week you're not going to turn around and say "nah I want a lot less because that's ridiculous"
    I would never need that amount of money and these players don't need this amount of money. It's ridiculous. Who needs that amount of money every week? It's obscene. I've never been a 'wants' type of person, much more a person who has a basic set of needs and once they're satisfied, then that's fine.

I understand the situation at Man City - they obviously don't have a wage structure at the club and they have a billionaire Sheikh who blows money on wages like there's no tomorrow. I'm an advocate of there being a salary cap and I think I would be as a player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    If you know the differences than you shouldn't make daft comparisons. How exactly are you suppose to compare a player like Torres who is quick and a brilliant finisher, but won't do much else, and whos team specifically has him doing little else, to a player who will run 90 yards to get a ball back? When he was playing for United he was playing with a player whos almost the exact same in style and even build. Who was suppose to be playing who onto the ball in the box? Rooney or Tevez? Who was to drop deeper, who was to chase? They hadn't a clue. Oh, and scoring 5 goals when you won the Champions League.

Tevez has had one good season for City because he's only played one full season for City. :rolleyes: Ironic that in his only season for us he scored 23 goals in the league, and has scored a good few in this half of the season isnt it :rolleyes: not world class my hole.
    Note the words "not yet". As I said before, he has not yet performed consistently at the highest level (this is again important) the way other players have (for whatever reason), so to call him world class the way Drogba, Villa and Torres are is jumping the gun. This is why, btw, I don't see Rooney as on the same level yet as them either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    I am aware of the differences between Tevez's style and Drogba's and Villa's. However, at the highest level, who has performed best consistently? Villa has(for Spain and now for Barca), Torres has(for Liverpool), Drogba has(for Chelsea). Tevez had one good season last year for City, but at United, when he was playing at the top of Europe and the top of the league's standards, he was at best good, not world class. World class players are not ones who have a single good season, that is why Tevez is not one (at least not yet).
    TSR Football Forum Law: ""As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison of football players involving the term "world class" approaches 1."

ReputationRep:
    I would never need that amount of money and these players don't need this amount of money. It's ridiculous. Who needs that amount of money every week? It's obscene. I've never been a 'wants' type of person, much more a person who has a basic set of needs and once they're satisfied, then that's fine.

I understand the situation at Man City - they obviously don't have a wage structure at the club and they have a billionaire Sheikh who blows money on wages like there's no tomorrow. I'm an advocate of there being a salary cap and I think I would be as a player.
    Arguably, all anyone needs is a bowl of gruel and a cardboard roof for survival. As it happens, people in any field get paid whatever the market decides to pay them. If there were a huge demand for lower wages by the fans, and they decided to hit the wages by not paying for Sky and boycotting the games, there would be a massive drop in player wages. I cannot see any major set of fans doing that, it will take a real bubble burst in football (and with some of the clubs raking up big debt, it is bound to happen) to stabilize the money in the game.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see why people need these extortionate pay checks (and tax free too :eek:) , the money being spent on their luxurious lifestyle could go to fund a child's education or create jobs for the unemployed (in this capitalist environment it never will be though).
    People shouldn't be allowed those disgusting amounts of money, they don't need it and it probably doesn't make them any happier with them extra millions.
    I like to get new things, and I can be materialistic sometimes but I wouldn't want (and I'm being serious) to be able to buy everything in a second like the footballers, because then it would make me unappreciative and not put my heart into work...

Also, it takes the heart out of the game - you see more exciting football games in the championship/league 1 than you do in the premier league in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    TSR Football Forum Law: ""As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison of football players involving the term "world class" approaches 1."
    So true :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    He's a git in every sense of the word. Woeful attitude to football.

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot of money but not as high as it seems.

The thing with football salaries is they're often quoted per week so it seems greater than it really is.

Top F1 drivers get well in excess of £30-40 million, which is more than double what footballers earn :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't get all this I'll boycott football because Tevez gets paid so much business....

Tevez only gets that because some rich Arabs who are rolling in it thanks to their oil wealth are paying him. If you feel so strongly about unjust distribution of wealth why not stop buying petrol or anything related to oil...that will stop these Saudis getting a ridiculous amount of wealth.

The distribution of wealth here is from Saudi oil magnates to UK based footballers who will spend some of that money in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    No matter how much he gets paid, he will always hate the manager.

ReputationRep:
    Tevez works his ass off and he's a class player, plus he's been used as the face of the club in many respects, so he's rightly up there on the pay list, without trying to justify the absolute amount, but remember this is being subsidised by an oil rich Arab.

ReputationRep:
    Who's that **** from Argentina, Who's that money grabbing whore

Here's a ball tevez, go chase it

ReputationRep:
    So?

If Man City's Sheik wants to give him that much why should we care?

Footballers - if we ignore coaching/management/punditry - generally have a very short career in which to make money and prepare themselves for living the rest of their life, why not get as much money as they possibly could before retiring at the age of 40?

People like Gates, Jobs, Mittal, Ecclestone, Zuckerberg, Buffet, Abromavich, etc etc will always be richer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I don't get all this I'll boycott football because Tevez gets paid so much business....

Tevez only gets that because some rich Arabs who are rolling in it thanks to their oil wealth are paying him. If you feel so strongly about unjust distribution of wealth why not stop buying petrol or anything related to oil...that will stop these Saudis getting a ridiculous amount of wealth.

The distribution of wealth here is from Saudi oil magnates to UK based footballers who will spend some of that money in the UK.
    A proportion of ticket sales goes to wages. As minor as that may be in the case of someone like City, some people don't want the slightest proportion of their money going towards player's wages. I can certainly understand that.

People aren't going to boycott using oil of any sort because it's completly impractical.

ReputationRep:
    Repulsive and I'd be saying the same thing if he was playing for Man United.

Wages like this will increasingly put people off football - wages like this will destroy football or at least kill the soul of football.

Things like this that stop me from watching PL football. I'm not keen, for instance, paying £40+ to watch United at Old Trafford, as I'm contributing to Rooney's ridiculous weekly wage, not to mention that he's a **** and I'm paying that ****'s wage.
    Absolutely agree, gone are the days when clubs respected their wage structures, it's all going to implode very soon tbh (as it very nearly did with Liverpool). If Abramovich walks away from Chelsea they are ****ed and no one needs reminding about the massive sword hanging over Man Utd. with respect to their debt issues.

Depressing state of affairs all round really.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.