Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, what do you want to see? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    more than 5 voices:mmm: more horses less caves:erm: the conversations that NPCs have to make more sense this time:sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Some kind of sense of scale would be nice to have back... Morrowind was huge, and actually worth exploring, there was always a pretty decent chance that you'd find something interesting by wandering off the beaten track. Oblivion to me at least felt... well, tiny. Looked solidly 'medieval Europe' all the way through, and the magic just wasn't there. Fast travel from anywhere really didn't help that either.

Pertinent comparison: Vivec and the Imperial City. Vivec in Morrowind is a sprawling collection of massive towers that actually feels like a major city. The Imperial City, the supposed capital of a continental empire... well, it houses about 40 people and in no way feels like even a small city - it's too small and too sparse.

Basically, apply Morrowind's world design, stick whoever did the Dark Brotherhood stuff on quest design and we might be getting somewhere. I stress the word might.

I would express some concern about Skyrim being a potentially dull area considering it's all snow and mountain and not a whole lot else in the lore, but then Cyrodiil was described as a dense jungle and the Imperial City as a sort of swamp-Venice before TES4, so maybe Skyrim will end up as magical sparkle kingdom for all we know right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maynia)
    I would express some concern about Skyrim being a potentially dull area considering it's all snow and mountain and not a whole lot else in the lore, but then Cyrodiil was described as a dense jungle and the Imperial City as a sort of swamp-Venice before TES4, so maybe Skyrim will end up as magical sparkle kingdom for all we know right now.
    I think if they draw heavily on Norse/Germanic mythology and legend for their inspiration they could make something very interesting (lands of ice, fire, darkness, underground cities, dragons, lands of giants, underwater lairs, huge mead halls, et cetera) besides the Northern Europe is far more varied geographically than most people imagine, add to that elements of Anglo-Saxon, continental Germanic, and possibly Celtic and Slavic themes and there's huge potential. Or they could make a big field of snow, their call :/ .

ReputationRep:
    I hope there is something like an underground city.

ReputationRep:
    Varied and grander dungeons would be nice, not just the countless scattered caves and ruins we find in TES. The same goes for outdoor exploration (not just loads of random shrines). Though really there is not much you can fault with TES, but I hope that this new game will have a new spin regardless.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care so long as I can mod it to have guards say 'STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM' again.

ReputationRep:
    No copy paste dungeon/cave designs.

Sort out the levelling system

Streamline the inventory system, I want the change to be massive like what they did between Mass Effect 1 and 2. I never had any idea as to the worth or the purpose of any of the items I was able to collect because I didn't spend my childhood jacking off to D&D and all that crap and have a degree in Nerdology.

ReputationRep:
    I wanna see some Interracial Action!

I wanna see:

Red Guards boning Imperials!

Argonians tapping Khajiit!

Races of The Elder Scrolls!

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait regardless! That's 200 hours of my life gone next year anyway....
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've only played Oblivion (erm, about three times...so 600 hours? ) but I would love to see a bit more variety. And more immersive character interaction. Bioware does it better and I found the Fallout games more compelling too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    I've only played Oblivion (erm, about three times...so 600 hours? ) but I would love to see a bit more variety. And more immersive character interaction. Bioware does it better and I found the Fallout games more compelling too.
    You need to play Morrowind. If you don't mind slightly outdated graphics and a clunky-ish combat system the game is amazing and usually given higher ratings than Oblivion. Personally I love both TESIII and TESIV, but the former is the best IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    There was talk of it being an MMO, if it is I will not buy it, the series has always worked as a basic RPG and should remain so.
    There's a new team at ZeniMax that's supposedly making an MMO of a Bethesda title (don't think it's been confirmed yet whether it's TES or Fallout, but it's not believed to be a new IP or something different to either of those two) but because it's not Bethesda that are making it, I can say with some confidence that TESV is not the MMO that's in the works

I've only played Oblivion (erm, about three times...so 600 hours? )
    Lightweight :p:

But if you liked Oblivion enough to play it rather extensively three times, then consider looking into Morrowind The graphics aren't as good (without mods, anyway) but it's a fantastic game :yep: I should actually try out the GOTY edition I bought on Steam last year - I've never played the expansions before so I've never had a character be a werewolf (comes in the Bloodmoon expansion) or anything like that.

As for what I'd like to see, a character like Oblivion's M'aiq the Liar would be good (in Morrowind he was lying all the time, but in Oblivion he just made comments that were either taking the piss out of rejected feature requests or that were forum in-jokes). Oblivion was only set six years after Morrowind but Skyrim is rumoured to be two hundred years after Oblivion so M'aiq probably won't be around but a character that is similar to him would be good.

I've got mixed feelings about levitation. What is likely your first encounter with levitation in Morrowind (a bosmer mage falling to his death as you walk from Seyda Neen to Balmora when his levitation spell runs out) was absolutely hilarious when I was a kid, but having access to the spell itself opened up a few opportunities for exploits and made parts of the game rather easy (e.g. you're floating in the air shooting fireballs at a warrior who can't hit you with his sword no matter what), and knowing Bethesda they probably wouldn't be bothered to put the effort in to prevent such exploitation.

I would like to see cities being a part of the world map again (like in Morrowind) rather than being like Oblivion where you have to run up to the city gates, choose to enter the city and wait for the game to load a city map.

As Einheri said in the OP, a return of spears would be nice.

Staves being melee weapons rather than just silly spell-casting things. Maybe have a spell being an alternate attack or something, but with few exceptions (Staff of Stopping being one of the more obvious ones due to the high cost of paralysis spells) staves were pretty useless in Oblivion. Why would you carry a big stick in a fight if you can't actually hit someone over the head with the damn thing?

I'd also REALLY like to see the addition of generic quests which are randomly generated. In the older games, the quests for (for instance) the Fighters' Guild came as a result of someone offering a contract for the guild to deal with a problem they had - you went out, did the quest then could advance to the next rank. I'd quite like that you could take random contracts for a quick buck, and there are specific 'big' contracts that you can take which would advance you through the ranks. This would give you something to use the guilds for once their respective questlines are finished, similar in a way to how after you finished the Arena quests in Oblivion you could then take part in fights once a week for a certain amount of gold depending on what you were fighting.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have no mention of changing the facial animations and voice actors. Having a tramp ask me for money in a working class accent, and then saying "thank you, sire" in an RP accent was one of the most unintentionally hilarious parts of Oblivion.

ReputationRep:
    I want it to be more like Morrowind than Oblivion, the ability to be a werewolf and the Dark Brotherhood or something really similar to be in it because I prefered it compared to the main story line!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    I'll have no mention of changing the facial animations and voice actors. Having a tramp ask me for money in a working class accent, and then saying "thank you, sire" in an RP accent was one of the most unintentionally hilarious parts of Oblivion.
    < wizened old crone > I'm only askin' fer a single coin!< / crone>

< Julian Clary > Why, blessings of Akatosh upon ye! </camp>

A single coin goes VERY FAR in Tamriel.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    But if you liked Oblivion enough to play it rather extensively three times, then consider looking into Morrowind The graphics aren't as good (without mods, anyway) but it's a fantastic game :yep: I should actually try out the GOTY edition I bought on Steam last year - I've never played the expansions before so I've never had a character be a werewolf (comes in the Bloodmoon expansion) or anything like that.
    I would love to, but as it stands I only have a PS3 and a mac (cue abuse).

ReputationRep:
    < wizened old crone > I'm only askin' fer a single coin!< / crone>

< Julian Clary > Why, blessings of Akatosh upon ye! </camp>

A single coin goes VERY FAR in Tamriel.
    Hahaha! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    The main thing that separates Oblivion from its prequels is the physics; though I'll admit that it gets a little bizarre when you realise that everything on the table in front of you is hovering a short distance from the surface, so a little tweaking wouldn't go amiss. Some of the physics-oriented quests are fun, too.

The ability to wear clothes AND armour! I'm guessing it was dropped between Morrowind and Oblivion because of clipping issues, but it'd be really great to see this in TES V. :yep:

I can understand why Bethesda removed levitation and slowfall from oblivion, since they allow some puzzle-like situations to be solved far too quickly and easily. I'm okay without the ability to fly, so long as there aren't any cliff racers around.

Voices need to be improved. :sadnod: Though the beggars were downright hilarious the first time I encountered them. :rofl:

One thing that's always bugged me when playing the Elder Scrolls games (and loads of other RPGs besides) is that, while some quests have maybe up to three (or even four) different routes to completing them, many are single-track, even though logic might suggest alternative, and even acceptable, solutions.

I like the obscure quests out in the middle of nowhere. It makes exploring worthwhile. And the random adventurers you (very) occasionally run into whilst exploring dungeons in Oblivion are a nice addition, albeit very generic. Surprise quests are awesome; Morrowind's generally better for stuff like that. :yep:

As for the levelling enemies, I think it should be reduced to certain applications, namely bandits and the like, and perhaps a few other exceptions. It's much more interesting and engaging when you're not quite sure whether the cave you're exploring is chock-full of deadly monsters that'd kill you in an instant or just a couple of rats and a heap of treasure.

Oblivion's combat seems okay. Fast travel in Oblivion is something I don't use, simply because it seems to break the realism of the game too much for my liking. :dontknow:

Lastly, fatigue - I'm okay with shorter days, jumping higher, et cetera; after all, TES is set in another universe, so things are bound to be different. But not getting tired by running non-stop from Anvil to Cheydinhal? Something weird is going on there. :p:

That's me done. :o:

ReputationRep:
    I thought Oblivion IV was a fantastic game to learn to play, and experience for the first time. Its only after you comlete it once and realise how easy it is to abuse simple gameplay features and exploits that it loses it shines.
    I know if exploits are there, that its the player shouldn't use them or they will lose the immersion, but with oblivion IV there are so many exploits or poorly thought out/tested mechanics its almost a chore to avoid them. Examples:
    -enchanting 5/6 items with chamealeon spells- permanatly invisible - essentialy invincible
    -adding fortify magic spells to other spells - infinite magika
    - stacking acrobatics spells and enchantments - can jump out of the game world
    - the entire 'waiting system' instantly heal after any battle at no cost
    - ability to clone items using staff of worms and skull of corruption
    - 2 infinite money bugs
    - the ability to keep bound weapons permenantly

The list goes on and on, i hope they test the new one much better...

Even though the spell creation and enchantments are really badly broken they are seriously fun you can do ridiculous stuff. area paraylysis is my favourite, you can get everyone within 30 metres of you to collapse instantly!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe its just me,

but everything else has been mentioned besides this :

I'd really love to fight whilst on the horse, instead of having to get off and then start fighting.

It'll also be very cool

I logged 300+ hours on xbox360, and 200+ hours on pc xD

I got wayyy to much free time...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.