Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My daughter keeps getting fined! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
    just don't pay it
    Think you missed the part where it said 'money was taken out of her account putting her into an overdraft'.

Which actually you should check up on - I know unis are legally allowed to take money out of your account for fees, but that's contracted and signed upon.

Things like fines should at the very least have a warning BEFORE the money is taken out, normally they'd have to require you to pay the fine yourself.. Did she not get one of these?

I'm not 100% sure on this but it doesn't sound totally legal that they can just remove money from her account without forewarning. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mother_eve3088)
    I'm not 100% sure on this but it doesn't sound totally legal that they can just remove money from her account without forewarning. :curious:
    Far as I remember, it's illegal for them to have even kept hold of her account identifier codes with no reason to do so, let alone enough details for them to process a fee.

Something in the story's not right. It's the daughter the mum needs to be getting on at, not the uni.

ReputationRep:
    Don't take it to court, surely you could end up getting stung for the charges and it's not really worth it for such a small amount of cash.

If she is in that desperate a financial situation that a 30 quid chair has messed it up then I think you should probably find out what is going on. On max loan and grant she should be ok for money tbh, especially if there's a bursary too.

I think the best thing to do would be to pay the charges for her now if she is literally desperate for that money, or to talk to her about her financial situation/budgeting. If the chair IS hers/belongs in her room, she is responsible for it regardless of who broke it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Monkey)
    Far as I remember, it's illegal for them to have even kept hold of her account identifier codes with no reason to do so, let alone enough details for them to process a fee.

Something in the story's not right. It's the daughter the mum needs to be getting on at, not the uni.
    That's pretty much what i was thinking...

Mum, i think you need to check your daughters story, ask for proof (i.e. email from uni stating they've taken the money out/bank statement with the amount being debited under the university name), it sounds like she could just be trying to find an excuse for having used up her money so fast so you won't get mad.

Also, its DECEMBER. End of first term, i had £500 left over (christmas present and petrol money, yay!)If she's getting full grant and loan (and i'm guessing would probably be getting some kind of low income grant as well), that would probably total around £2400 pounds - without some serious drinking/designer/drug problem, there's no way your daughter could have spent that much, if she's 'budgeting' as you say.

ReputationRep:
    Also, its DECEMBER. End of first term, i had £500 left over (christmas present and petrol money, yay!)If she's getting full grant and loan (and i'm guessing would probably be getting some kind of low income grant as well), that would probably total around £2400 pounds - without some serious drinking/designer/drug problem, there's no way your daughter could have spent that much, if she's 'budgeting' as you say.
    Im not sure Id agree - admittedly I don't get any grants or bursaries but I take out the full loan Im entitled too - which works out to £1264 for Sep-Jan that barely covers my rent - I have £100 left of my overdraft (not even my loan!) and Ive certainly not wasted my money thats just paying for living!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    Im not sure Id agree - admittedly I don't get any grants or bursaries but I take out the full loan Im entitled too - which works out to £1264 for Sep-Jan that barely covers my rent - I have £100 left of my overdraft (not even my loan!) and Ive certainly not wasted my money thats just paying for living!
    For my first term of uni i got £1785 of loan + grant, then in December i got a £500 bursary from the university. My weekly budget was just over £35, hence why i had money left.

Living costs were really expensive for my uni (joys of a London uni outside London!) but at least paying for halls in my first year got rid of the main expense right at the beginning!

Sorry, just checked my bank account from first year.

Actually she would be receiving a LOT more than 1785, my family income went up in my 2nd year so i got less -

First year i received 1720 + 925 grant, totalling 2645, then there was the £500. So if hers is anything like that... There's no way.

ReputationRep:
    First year i received 1720 + 925 grant, totalling 2645, then there was the £500. So if hers is anything like that... There's no way.
    See this is what I don't get - how can one person get £1720 and then grants + bursaries and I only get £1264 full stop....on that calculation im getting £500 less on loans alone :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    ...you've been here for twelve posts :nothing:

PinkMobilePhone is a mother, and there was another a while back talking about how many drugs her son had done (he had quite an impressive list).
    Meth, go hard or go home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    I'd be inclined to ask whether they can prove she set off the alarm. Put the burden of proof on them - I can't imagine there's anything stipulated in the contract about guilty until proven innocent. Likewise check the contract to see if they can make unusual deductions from the bank account without permission.

WRT to the chair, if everyone has been charged the same amount then it's probably a fair cop. If not then again, put the onus on them to prove it.
    This is just stupid. The university has a right to charge the residents for damage in their communal area. I dislike it as much as you, someone broke a staiwell light in my block, probably some drunken yob, all of us might be charged for it yet not sure whats going to happen yet.

But what's the alternative?? They need proof to charge? Then everyone will just claim innocence, including the deliberate (or otherwise) perpetrator. Then what?? The company that runs your accomodation is out of pocket, and they have a broken light. In that situation if all your clients are going to go round breaking everything (and they will if they know they don't have to pay for it) then either nothing gets repaired, including genuine accidents. Or maybe they install CCTV everywhere or don't give you any luxuries?? Do these sound appealing to you? "Oh we won't provide them with a microwave they'll just break it and claim innocence and we'll have to foot the bill, they can buy their own".

Maybe they had to get someone in to reset the firealarm system and make sure its ready to go off again all set up right when someone actually needs it, he might be sitting near a phone now waiting to be called out and when he is, someone has to pay him.

The firealarm one seems harsh, unless it's in her room and was deliberately set off with a lighter or something. If it's in the kitchen and was an accident though seems unfair. The chair though she can't really complain. She broke the their chair, and they only charged her £31.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollo)
    Being at fault and having responsibility are not the same thing - if someone else damaged the property in her room then it is still her responsibility under her contract and she will have to pay for it. It is then up to her to reclaim the fine from the person that actually broke the chair or whatever.
    I have to disagree with you here. In halls, flats etc, there are more than one person living there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by students mom)
    My daughter is a 1st year student living in Halls.
    She is on max student grant/Loan due to family income.

She has managed her budget quite well but now someone has broken a chair in her flat and also set off fire alarm in the same week.

University has fined her £31 for broken chair and taken the money out of her Bank account causing her to go over her overdraft limit and be charged by Bank. Now she is also getting charged £150 for setting off fire alarm, she was at fault for neither of these incidents and as she has no money now until January, she is fretting that Uni will kick her out.

Has anyone had any similar experiences and has anyone got any advice on this matter. She has emailed the accomodation dept but is awaiting a reply.
    Well, if the broken chair is in her room and she didn't report it when she moved in then she really has no argument. If she knows who did it then she has to get them to own up to it, otherwise the Uni really has no other choice.

Secondly, unless they have proof of or she has admitted to setting the fire alarm off then the cost should be shared around the block/flat/area of where it was set off. That's the case at most of the Uni's I've come across anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    ...you've been here for twelve posts :nothing:

PinkMobilePhone is a mother, and there was another a while back talking about how many drugs her son had done (he had quite an impressive list).
    Pink mobile phone is a mother and student though - not a mother of a student

ReputationRep:
    See this is what I don't get - how can one person get £1720 and then grants + bursaries and I only get £1264 full stop....on that calculation im getting £500 less on loans alone :mad:
    It doesn't seem fair, does it.
    Some of my friends who are getting full support, coupled with extra support from their universities, end up getting around £10,000 a year! I was gobsmacked when they told me. For the full year, I get around £4400, including a partial grant. It doesn't seem right that there is such a huge difference, especially in relation to loans, which we all have to pay back.

With regards the OP, it seems unreasonable for them to fine just your daughter. If the chair was in her room, she is responsible; however, with the fire-alarm, they should be charging the block/flat/group who could be responsible, not just one student [unless they have proof that she set it off of course].
    She should go and discuss the matter with her residence officer.

As to her going over her overdraft limit, she doesn't sound like she has budgeted particularly well and she would probably benefit from a few tips on how to improve that. You could also look at extending her overdraft for emergencies: does she have the largest overdraft offered by her bank? I decided not to - my overdraft is less than 1/3 of the maximum the bank offered me, as I wanted it as a back-up. Plus, I was worried that if I went into it too much, I'd get stuck in a cycle of never getting out of it. However, a bit of extra is better than having charges for exceeding the overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    I have to disagree with you here. In halls, flats etc, there are more than one person living there?
    Damages in communal areas are normally split between all the residences, but each student has their own room [unless they are in a university with shared rooms, but they are in the minority] that they alone are responsible for, damages wise.

ReputationRep:
    are you a ****?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds harsh. My chair broke when I was in halls - things don't last forever and eventually a chair will break. They just brought me a new one. I also set off the fire alarm accidentally like 3 times in 3 days - again there was no trouble, they just made me aware of what I had done and asked me to make sure I didn't do it again.

ReputationRep:
    End of first term, i had £500 left over (christmas present and petrol money, yay!)
    I don't think this is the best place to brag about this, when most people on this forum get the minimum government support and consequently use up their loan on their accommodation and are well into their overdraft by Christmas, whilst your Christmas presents apparently get funded by taxpayers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by students mom)
    My daughter is a 1st year student living in Halls.
    She is on max student grant/Loan due to family income.

She has managed her budget quite well but now someone has broken a chair in her flat and also set off fire alarm in the same week.

University has fined her £31 for broken chair and taken the money out of her Bank account causing her to go over her overdraft limit and be charged by Bank. Now she is also getting charged £150 for setting off fire alarm, she was at fault for neither of these incidents and as she has no money now until January, she is fretting that Uni will kick her out.

Has anyone had any similar experiences and has anyone got any advice on this matter. She has emailed the accomodation dept but is awaiting a reply.
    We get charged £500 for setting the fire alarm off while cooking or something, because the fire service have to come out. So your daughter has escaped quite lightly

ReputationRep:
    :lol: this is the first time seeing a ****(Student Mums)

OP: Let her resolve the matter by her self, because she will learn from this. If you interfere she might become overly-reliant on you and become less independent.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because your family income is on a higher band than mine was.

I agree its not fair, a lot of the time the government seems to expect people from higher income families to be getting help from their parents with money, which the majority of the time, wasn't the case.

Plus the fact they calculate the income before tax is also really unfair. However i was just lucky to get it, so i can't complain. Did mean that i could buy drinks for my friends when they were getting a bit skint or helping pay for train tickets going to see things, so it was nice for me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.