Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    thank you for the classics lesson. :facepalm:

I bet you negged me.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the script used in Georgia, and to some extent the Armenian one. It's nice to see they haven't been assimilated into the Cyrillic or Arabic scripts used by all their neighbours. Beautiful

ReputationRep:
    Greek, especially since I started studying Ancient Greek a couple of years ago.
    Btw, I see some of you like the cyrillic alphabet. It's funny, 'cause I'm bulgarian and this is my native alphabet and I've never seen it as especially interesting. But may be I see it like this because it's my language after all - nothing new to discover.

(And for these ones calling it the Russian alphabet - no, it's not Russian, it's cyrillic and it was founded in the 9th century particularly for the needs of bulgarians, later it spread to other slavonic nations. We even have a national holiday celebrating the foundation of the alphabet ).

ReputationRep:
    Cyrillic

ReputationRep:
    Arabic & Thai.

ReputationRep:
    Easily Greek, though I dislike the complication of having ? ? ? all being a form of I and having ? ? being O sounds, but it's the best.

ReputationRep:
    I hate reading Arabic, but I love to write it. Hebrew is pretty cool and easy to read, and I just love writing in Cyrillic. Next alphabets on my list are Devanagari, Armenian and the other half of the Hebrew alphabet I can't seem to remember :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Greek.

ReputationRep:
    I only know two alphabets very well (i.e. Roman & Greek), but I think that devanagari (the Hindi/Sanskrit script) looks nice. Of course, the Roman alphabet is an incredibly efficient means of advanced communication though, much more so than ideographic Chinese, for example

ReputationRep:
    Never really thought one could get asthetic pleasure from an alphabet but here we are. I guess by association, Turkish would be mine because I am currently learning it.

I was moderatly whelmed to find out there is no letter X in the Turkish alphabet, so they take the sounds it makes and simply spell it out (taxi=taksi) making it a phoenetical language. The grammar is often confusing though.

ReputationRep:
    Cyrillic is pretty, but only the handwritten standard.

ReputationRep:
    I love the Greek alphabet, and I taught myself it so I could read Greek sentences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greebo-man)
    <3 cyrillic
    me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I hate reading Arabic, but I love to write it. Hebrew is pretty cool and easy to read, and I just love writing in Cyrillic. Next alphabets on my list are Devanagari, Armenian and the other half of the Hebrew alphabet I can't seem to remember :holmes:
    Do you have any good links to learning proper handwritten Hebrew? I'm flirting with a course right now but the writing is messing me up! All the ones I've seen have been really unhelpful and uninformative. It sounds gorgeous though, once I can write it I'll be on my way! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Kanji

ReputationRep:
    I like the elder Futhark, but I'm not sure if that's just because of its associations. Otherwise, Arabic probably.

ReputationRep:
    S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapientia)
    Do you have any good links to learning proper handwritten Hebrew? I'm flirting with a course right now but the writing is messing me up! All the ones I've seen have been really unhelpful and uninformative. It sounds gorgeous though, once I can write it I'll be on my way! Thanks.
    If you get "Colloquial Hebrew", there's a dedicated page about the handwritten version of the alphabet, from what I saw, it really isn't much different from typical Israeli handwriting. If you've got dropbox, all the material I've got for Hebrew is on it if you want it? (That'd be Pimsleur, Colloquial Hebrew and a Hebrew grammar book. And I've got ****loads of Linguistics books if you need, too :p:)

ReputationRep:
    Korean, Arabic and Russian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    If you get "Colloquial Hebrew", there's a dedicated page about the handwritten version of the alphabet, from what I saw, it really isn't much different from typical Israeli handwriting. If you've got dropbox, all the material I've got for Hebrew is on it if you want it? (That'd be Pimsleur, Colloquial Hebrew and a Hebrew grammar book. And I've got ****loads of Linguistics books if you need, too :p:)
    No dropboxes :p: Wait, you don't want them at all?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.