Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you agree with the scrapping of EMA? Poll Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you pleased that EMA has been scrapped?
    Yes, it wasn't fair on the middle classes and was used innapropriately!
    41.03%
    Yes, we can no longer afford it!
    14.81%
    I am indifferent
    4.27%
    No, we can still afford it!
    2.28%
    No, poorer students relied upon it and it encouraged social mobility!
    37.61%

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I personnally use my EMA for train fares, bus fares and the occasional book I need to buy. This wont affect me, people in the similar position to me(going into sixth form) will suffer. But there are a lot of people who abuse the system my age and spend it on smoking, drinking ect.

Overall I do agree with it. Mainly because I think the majority abuse it, but I feel sorry for the ones who won't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    Dumb Poll! a YES or NO would be fine.
    The point of the five options is to gauge attitudes as well as opinions; I was curious to see if people objected to/supported EMA based purely on affordability or if they had other reasons for supporting/disliking it.

I included indifference because it seems some people like to vote on polls even when they have no opinion. I don't understand it either. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    It encourages children from poorer backgrounds to go into further education. New clothes or shoes might not strictly count as educational maintenance, but the idea of going to sixth form instead of into the job market is not going to look too appealing to a 16 year if it means you'll have to make do with the same clothes for two years. It's all about encouragement.
    Going into further education and going into work are not mutually exclusive things though; plenty of people work part time whilst taking their courses at sixth form or college.

You can earn a lot more than £30 a week working part time doing practically anything.

ReputationRep:
    i disagree with stopping it and unlike many of you I’m a full time earner so my taxes are what funds it, with this and the rise of tuition fees im really starting to listen to the "tories only want education for the rich" ranters.

Like any system it can be abused im not denying that, but depriving that £120 a month to those families who really do need it seems unduly harsh. For some people that £30 a week was really helpful for travel/food and the day to day business of simply going to college/uni. For others well we cant control how people spend it.

ReputationRep:
    At college I really needed my EMA as I lived by myself, however I never got it because the person who authorised payments was a *****. In case you're wondering I had 98% attendance.

All the middle class people got their payments (either their parents were self employed liars or freelance liars) and wasted it, whereas I never got mine. Some people at my school got £100 a week pocket money at college, and just laughed at the whole EMA system.

I never understood how this happened, and I'm sure it is isolated but it really pissed me off.

ReputationRep:
    the current system is crap, anyone who agrees with it being scrapped is just greedy
    ive never seen it used apropriatly, weed booze and mcdonalds
    in my old friendship group there were only 2 of us who didnt get it, we were the only ones who actually got part time jobs and ended up with more money, and now most have gone to uni, they ones who got EMA are stuggling to get jobs with no experiance,
    in reality it doesnt help anyone, its just encouraging a life on the doll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Do you agree with the scrapping of EMA, or would you prefer it were kept?
    I agree with it. I've never been eligable for it (before you call me jealous, I get more money than full EMA anyway, so yeah, I don't want the money for myself :rolleyes:), but people who have often use it in such a bad way. People use it for alcohol, weed, iPods, etc. It's ridiculous. It was designed to help with the costs of college and sixth form - what costs? Transport, yeah okay I see that one. What else? Books are provided, stationary you only need once in a while. I honestly don't see what else they need £30 a week for.

That said, I have a friend that uses almost all of her EMA to get to our sixth form centre everyday, and she doesn't waste it at all.

My opinion is everyone aged 16-19 who is in education should get bus and train passes, allowing us to travel to any stops on that particular line. That way, everyone would be able to get there, and if the trains were snowed off (really common where I live when it snows, and if that happens, I can't get there), people could get the bus and vice versa.

My district council has this really good scheme, where if you're going to the nearest sixth form centre that does your course(s), and you need public transport, they'll pay for all of it if you're on EMA, or half of it if you're not. I think they should look to employ that sort of scheme everywhere, but a pass that can be used for all methods of transport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    i disagree with stopping it and unlike many of you I’m a full time earner so my taxes are what funds it, with this and the rise of tuition fees im really starting to listen to the "tories only want education for the rich" ranters.

Like any system it can be abused im not denying that, but depriving that £120 a month to those families who really do need it seems unduly harsh. For some people that £30 a week was really helpful for travel/food and the day to day business of simply going to college/uni. For others well we cant control how people spend it.
    it doesnt go to the families, it goes to the kids, and the majority is spent on crap, mainly drugs and alcohol
    a fairer system of £10 a week to those who currently get 30 is a much more realistic system, enough for travel and supplys
    or like london, free travel for all students and then just a 30quid online hmv allowance each term or something

ReputationRep:
    i think it was fair, my mum's works part time minimum wage and the £60 me and my brother get helps massively so she doesn't waste the little money she gets on things we need.

ReputationRep:
    It needs to be cut for a lot of people, but kept for those who need it.

The government's idea was good - situation based analysis by colleges of who should get it rather than income-based. My dad didn't pay himself out of his business for one year and I could have claimed the full £30 a week despite my family being middle class. I decided I'd rather get a job for extra money instead of being a horrible sponge, but I know a lot of people that were in similar situations but took it. Others just used it for an extra £30 a week to go out with - it was clear they didn't need it.

There needs to be more factors than just income on receiving it. If those who don't really need it were cleared from the system I bet it could increase substantially for those who need it most. Scrapping EMA is a bad idea, but keeping it is also a terrible waste of money. It needs a refresh and rebrand, not a full cut - and I hope the government will realise this. I'm thinking about perhaps sending my own ideas to my local MP - not that they'll be listened to, just to make me feel better.

ReputationRep:
    Only the selfish side of me that has slaved away for minimum wage in a bakery, Vue cinema and Co-Op since I was 13 years old agrees with it.

I have had fabulous holidays, am basically spoiled by parents and live in a lovely house. I don't need to work, but my parents like me to have a job so I know the value of money. Some teenagers' parents can't afford to get them anything nice and the last holiday they had was Pontins aged 9...if they are working hard at college then why shouldn't they have a little bit of money to pay for their transport to school or to save up for a nice pair of trainers that their parents can't afford to buy them? You could say, 'oh, well people shouldn't have children they can't afford'- but it's not the teenagers fault is it? Also, for every person that abused EMA, there was 5 who really needed the money.

The only thing that I have a problem with is how it was given out, for example a family with £30,000 and one child was better off that someone with £50,000 and four children, and how it was so easily to fiddle with if parents were self-employed. However, these goes with all means-tested assistance...

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I turned up to all my lessons, but I didn't get paid for it. Many of my friends on EMA were fiddling the system - most were fairly well off, none of them turned up to most of their lessons.

The only way I would ever support EMA is if it was in book vouchers or some kind of transport vouchers rather than money, and if it was capped at £15 a week in those vouchers. You shouldn't get paid for going to school - get a ****ing job if you need the money. Plenty of people, including myself, managed to hold down a part-time job whilst in VIth form or college.

ReputationRep:
    omg who ever ticked the top box is just stupid.

middle class people can get 100 quid a week if they wanted to, and plus they parents can pay for their driving liscense, car, house, tuition fees, clothes.

working people have to earn themselves , pay for their own things, and EMA helps to boost that and eqiups us for educational success. like who has the money to buy books worth 25 quid, middle class people can pay for it, working class cant, and so ema helps to pay for that.

ReputationRep:
    plus most of the people i no only attend to school because of EMa, so it encourages those who have little interest of school, and motivates them to go and earn a education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Do you agree with the scrapping of EMA, or would you prefer it were kept?
    It's not really being scrapped, rather being replaced by a natioonal scholarship fund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Yes.

I turned up to all my lessons, but I didn't get paid for it. Many of my friends on EMA were fiddling the system - most were fairly well off, none of them turned up to most of their lessons.

The only way I would ever support EMA is if it was in book vouchers or some kind of transport vouchers rather than money, and if it was capped at £15 a week in those vouchers. You shouldn't get paid for going to school - get a ****ing job if you need the money. Plenty of people, including myself, managed to hold down a part-time job whilst in VIth form or college.
    I don't know, I think I'd place the blame on where you went to school/college. If they missed most of their lessons there's no way they should be getting EMA if so.

In response to the OP, I knew someone who lived with her Mum - who had a small income, but her Dad who lived elsewhere was a millionare, she still got tons of money off him and was extremely upper-class, yet still claimed £30 a week.

So, I think the system should be changed definitely, I do think it has the foundations of a good idea though, it just benefits too many people who don't need it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Scrap it. I used to get Ema and I used it on college but tbh I was in the tiny minority. Did not ever meet another person who used it properly. Chucking cash at people is also very rarely the answer. Free travel passes would be a much better policy.

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree with the scraping of EMAs, instead the government need to start charging students going into 6th form or college regardless if your from a poor or middle class background. My message to these poorer students who can't afford college or uni is to get off your backsides and get a part time job on the weekends. Work for it instead of relying on benefits and governemnt funds. Not only will it help the students financially but the will gain work experience and be more independent.

ReputationRep:
    A better poll would've been:

Yes and I got it
    Yes and I didn't get it
    I'm indifferent
    No and I got it
    No and I didn't get it

to see if people were biased.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah scrap it. As long as they have something in place similar to what I had where bus passes were free or greatly subsidised and textbooks were the same, then don't see the problem at all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.