Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It would seem Innocent are watering down their smoothies. Watch

(Original post by jeffercake)
      I dont understand your point, sorry.

I wasn't saying that because the sugar is found naturally that it's ok (because that would be a ridiculous point).
      I was just saying that if one wants to make a fruit drink, it's quite impossible to make one without also putting the naturally occuring sugars in it.

Are you saying that we shouldnt eat fruit because it isnt healthy due to the sugars? Dont you think fruit is healthy?

:/
      Fruit is healthy if eaten in moderate amounts
      Fruit smoothies are far less healthy.

If you got a blender and put in the ingredients that are in an innocent smoothie you would end up with a large volume of stodgey fruitiness.
      You could only 'drink' a small amount before feeling full.

Compare this with innocent where you can quite easily neck half a carton.

Its concentred sugar.

Just because I don't think you understand I'll clarify for you.

100ml of coca-cola has 42kcal in it. (10.6g of sugars)
      100ml of innocent strawberry and banana smoothie has 58kcal (12.2g of sugar)

'natural' does not equal good for you

Edit - just so people can look for themselves...
      http://www.innocentdrinks.co.uk/thin...als_TH_sb.html
      http://productnutrition.thecoca-cola...ucts/coca-cola

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jamie)
      Fruit is healthy if eaten in moderate amounts
      Fruit smoothies are far less healthy.

If you got a blender and put in the ingredients that are in an innocent smoothie you would end up with a large volume of stodgey fruitiness.
      You could only 'drink' a small amount before feeling full.

Compare this with innocent where you can quite easily neck half a carton.

Its concentred sugar.

Just because I don't think you understand I'll clarify for you.

100ml of coca-cola has 42kcal in it. (10.6g of sugars)
      100ml of innocent strawberry and banana smoothie has 58kcal (12.2g of sugar)

'natural' does not equal good for you

Edit - just so people can look for themselves...
      http://www.innocentdrinks.co.uk/thin...als_TH_sb.html
      http://productnutrition.thecoca-cola...ucts/coca-cola
      I thought the whole point of innocent smoothies is to make it easier to get your 5 a day, otherwise people would just get water.

ReputationRep:
      I used to LOVE innocent smoothies until one exploded in my rucksack (yeah, rucksack!) and the smell was so ghastly I never had one again

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
      I used to LOVE innocent smoothies until one exploded in my rucksack (yeah, rucksack!) and the smell was so ghastly I never had one again
      An egg mayo sandwich once made it's way of it's packet and stick itself to the inside of my bag. Lovely.

(Original post by Mm_Minty)
        I thought the whole point of innocent smoothies is to make it easier to get your 5 a day, otherwise people would just get water.
        In 1991, the WHO started recommending a minimum intake of 400g fruit and vegetables a day. One portion of fruit and veg is 80g, so five portions add up to 400g.

The WHO advice is based on many different studies. These have shown consistently that populations that have a high intake of fruit and veg have a lower incidence of heart disease, some cancers and other health problems.

Its a bit of a fudge really. The main benefit is in the vitamins and minerals, and if you eat breakfast cereals you'll find they are fortified with far more bioavailable vitamins than a smoothie.

The whole 5 a day thing is increasingly looking like duff science. You should eat fruit, but I think a couple of proper pieces of fruit a day (a whole apple, a couple of satsumas etc) is more than sufficient for most.

ReputationRep:
        complain to the company

ReputationRep:
        There are some newer ones that aren't made with banana, they're a bit more watery, maybe you're drinking those?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Jamie)
        sugar is naturally found in sugarbeet and sugarcane.
        doesn't make it anymore healthy to consume.
        [Love innocent smoothies myself, just get annoyed that people seem to think they are healthy when they are anything but]
        Fruits are nothing but healthy, they are the main reason why I'm healthy.

ReputationRep:
        I dont know, but why are they so goddam expensive. Surely it would be cheaper if i brought the fruit and juiced it myself.

(Original post by babygirl110)
          Fruits are nothing but healthy, they are the main reason why I'm healthy.
          of course, my bad.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Lewroll)
          I dont know, but why are they so goddam expensive. Surely it would be cheaper if i brought the fruit and juiced it myself.
          I do that sometimes, Kenwood have a good smoothie maker, very compact and you can carry it anywhere.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Smoo.../dp/B0014IPIHW

ReputationRep:
          Are you sure you weren't drinking this, made by the lovely people at Innocent?

ReputationRep:
          I wouldn't think so.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by tehforum)
          I wouldn't think so.
          Maybe- I could probably buy a whole bunch of apples, bananas, grapes, strawberries and other random fruits for about £15. If i blended them myself and put them into innocent smoothie containers, i'd probably get a good amount of bottles for a better price. I buy innocent smoothies for £2 each

Im no fruit expert though, so i wouldnt know

ReputationRep:
          Maybe- I could probably buy a whole bunch of apples, bananas, grapes, strawberries and other random fruits for about £15. If i blended them myself and put them into innocent smoothie containers, i'd probably get a good amount of bottles for a better price. I buy innocent smoothies for £2 each

Im no fruit expert though, so i wouldnt know
          I was a smoothies maker in a shopping centre for 2 years. I can tell you you probably could! My manager used to make even more money off it because he obv bought everything in bulk... But it was crazy the amount of guys we got paying £3 for a drink consisting of soy milk some frozen yoghurt couple of strawberries bit of banana and a scoop of whey protein. Was absolutely ridiculous. Probably cost my manager about 50p

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.