Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    SOMEONE DOING ARABIC! I AM IN LOVE.

But anyway, that's my two cents. I didn't apply to Edinburgh. Just SOAS, Leeds, St. Andrews, Exeter and Manchester...

I chose Exeter. The building is beautiful, travel bursaries and really good staff I like the course too...

You forgot to mention that the students are the best at Exeter too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkle243)
    Yep I'm in my first year, yourself?

We're doing Al Kitab and reached chapter 10. Still feel like I know nothing though! How far have you got?

(Al Kitab seems like a pretty generic study book used by universities. If you don't use it I'll let you know more specific grammar)
    Yeah we're doing Al-Kitaab too. I feel like I've got a strong bond with Khalid and lonely Maha. We've gotten to chapter 10 too - so I'm guessing you're not just doing language work? I've been doing a bit out of Haywood and Nahmed (I think that's correct) too. Lovely little book - yep, just called a grammar book 'lovely'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Magical in what sense?
    Aha, I suppose in the way that I can just picture lots of little narrow alleyways full of people smoking sheesha, eating shawarma and lapping up lots of general Arab loveliness. I am I somewhere near the truth? Ha.
    Where did you stay in Damascus? With a family or in a flat (or something similar)?

ReputationRep:
    i'd personally choose the one where i'd be more likely to meet timothy winter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boysenberry)
    Yeah we're doing Al-Kitaab too. I feel like I've got a strong bond with Khalid and lonely Maha. We've gotten to chapter 10 too - so I'm guessing you're not just doing language work? I've been doing a bit out of Haywood and Nahmed (I think that's correct) too. Lovely little book - yep, just called a grammar book 'lovely'.
    did you hear about khalid's chick getting engaged to that engineer? it's like middle eastenders!

ReputationRep:
    Aha, I suppose in the way that I can just picture lots of little narrow alleyways full of people smoking sheesha, eating shawarma and lapping up lots of general Arab loveliness. I am I somewhere near the truth? Ha.
    Where did you stay in Damascus? With a family or in a flat (or something similar)?
    Hah, then you'd be right. But that'd be forgetting the annoying taxis, the youngsters who think you're rich and will therefore try to rip you off all the time, and the bloody slooooooooooowness of it all! I don't actually understand how they can walk as slowly as they do, but jesus it's annoying! I was with a family in the christian quarter of the Old City, much better to improve your 3amiyah, although probably a bit more expensive. My family was lovely, I even got food sometimes (generally doesn't happen, though). The shower, on the other hand… :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farhaz_j)
    did you hear about khalid's chick getting engaged to that engineer? it's like middle eastenders!
    Middle Eastenders, LOL :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farhaz_j)
    Khalid's chick? I've yet to hear of this woman. But I know Khalid's an absolute lad anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Khalid's chick? I've yet to hear of this woman. But I know Khalid's an absolute lad anyways.
    Unfortunately Khalid isn't as much of a lad as you'd expect, he is shy around girls due to the break up of his last relationship. His friend Tariq is much more of a lad - his favourite hobby is 'romantic experiences'

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I saw this thread on Arabic, was just wondering if it would be way too hard to study Arabic as an additional 'thing' alongside my BA French and German. Most unis have those language centres etc. and offer evening classes.

I am able to read it fluently because my parents taught me as a kid but my writing and speaking skills are basically non-existent. I just feel being able to read it is a useless skill but can't really afford to have lessons so uni is my only chance really before i'm too old for it all to sink in.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Wentworth)
    Hi all,

I saw this thread on Arabic, was just wondering if it would be way too hard to study Arabic as an additional 'thing' alongside my BA French and German. Most unis have those language centres etc. and offer evening classes.

I am able to read it fluently because my parents taught me as a kid but my writing and speaking skills are basically non-existent. I just feel being able to read it is a useless skill but can't really afford to have lessons so uni is my only chance really before i'm too old for it all to sink in.

Any advice?
    First of all, you can learn a language at any given time of your life. Sure it'll be more difficult, but if you're already doing French and German at uni, then you'll know how to learn more languages. Polyglots didn't all learn their languages between 0 and 18 years old, so don't worry, you literally have all your life for that!

Now I'd say it's pointless. You won't get to do much at all, what you'll learn is likely to be of no use whatsoever if you decide to go visit the region (standard Arabic VS dialectal Arabic), and with evening classes, you won't do much at all, I mean, even at degree level we don't reach the level people starting Spanish or Italian reach, and we all know that after our 4 years of it, we'll still have many years of practice before even being able to say we're fluent in it (most will get to a good advanced level, but it's not really that near fluency).

It also does take a lot of time, and you don't want to be struggling with Arabic and leaving your others languages to focus on that third one. You need to be committed and motivated, and Arabic is not as rewarding a language as others could be, and although I am not trying to say it's impossible and you won't learn anything, you'll see that you make very little progress compared to a European language, and it gets really frustrating at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Wentworth)
    Hi all,

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm applying for French and Arabic hopefully and I can't decide between Oxford and Cambridge does anyone know specifically what the Arabic side of the course consists of? Like module wise? Also I have a very strong GCSE profile and good a levels but not sky high UMS, do you think I could still get an interview from Cambridge even without sky high UMS and really strong personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    So who got offers for Arabic at Oxbridge this year??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For the year abroad there are programmes in Cairo (who knows if it'll still be choice next year), Jordan and Damascus. I'm definitely going for Damascus! .
    Best choice :king1:
    hindsight is a wonderful thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    I am so glad I got to spend time in Syria, it was a wonderful country at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I am so glad I got to spend time in Syria, it was a wonderful country at the time.
    Hey I'm Syrian, so tell me what did you like the best over there at that time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    I'm sure it was. There are certainly places I would love to have seen. I'm pretty sure the 2011/2012 academic year was not a particularly good year to be there though.

ReputationRep:
    Asalaam alaykum,i'm asking i'm from tanzania working here in uk and need a scholarship for Islamic study,how can I apply?thanks,

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying for French and Arabic, possibly at Oxford.

Does anyone have any Arabic literature suggestions (that can be books, poems, short stories, anything) - obviously in translation - that I can get my teeth into as someone who wants to start exploring Arabic culture?

Many thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.