Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you teach yourself A level chemistry? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjeremiah3)
    wish to do chemistry A'level on my own time, as it is very difficult to go to school and work. my concern is i need to know if there is an alterntive lab paper so i would not have to worry about having to attend lab. once i have the syllabus i believe i can do it.
    Hi, just wanted to say that yes it is possible to do the written alternative papers if you are willing to travel - I have done AS biology and I am doing the A2 at the moment as an independent candidate (taught myself) - I am doing my exams through an international centre in Spain. I am considering doing the same for chem next year.

Even with the cost of travel it has worked out considerably cheaper than doing the lab element through a school in the UK. For biology the alternative papers are by no means an easy option though. For example, in the A2 alternative paper any one of 17 practicals can come up so you have to learn the method for them all and the planning part of the paper can be on anything - this years A2 was about teeth of all things which is not on the syllabus. I would imagine the chemistry paper is similar but I think that not doing the lab work would make the theory part harder to learn than with biology. Still looking into it myself so not that clued up on it yet.

I did the whole A level in a year with an A at AS and hopefully an A in the A2.

Its a shame that this was my only option though - no evening classes in my area and practical course in London would have added up to thousands where with this option I paid 50 euros per paper plus travel costs (and a lot of hard graft). Crazy eh?

I just wanted to share my experience because I nearly didn't do my A level due to the logistics of it all and wanted people to know that it is possible to do as an independent candidate so don't let it hold you back

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.