Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I unfortunately can't remember the name of the website, but it's the first university targeted by employers. Of course it doesn't mean that everyone will get a job, but there's a pretty good representation of firms, and you get more chances to establish links with employers than you would at another university. Manchester is big, it's popular, and it's great for sciences. They have the money and they invest it in sciences, so if that's your field, go for it. If you're going for an art subject, pay more attention, I haven't heard one good thing about the Spanish department.

ReputationRep:
    Tbf only 6th formers care about league tables!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Great resource and not quite play with weightings but you can get a shortlist of unis based on many factors
    http://www.push.co.uk/Uni-chooser/

ReputationRep:
    It always does well on the Research Assessment Exercise. The league tables from newspapers are meaningless, Manchester is a good uni which attracts a lot of research income.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly never understood why Manc is seen as one of the best unis in the UK tbh. Ive got plenty of friends who have gone there, and ive visited lots but...just dont understand? And if it's got the most applicants in the UK (apparently), why has my friend just got an offer for a course when he got CCE in AS levels? I think I said something like this in another thread, and some guy just popped in saying it's the research that it's amazing at that makes it a good uni. Doesnt being a good uni mean more than good research?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impossible!)
    Honestly never understood why Manc is seen as one of the best unis in the UK tbh. Ive got plenty of friends who have gone there, and ive visited lots but...just dont understand? And if it's got the most applicants in the UK (apparently), why has my friend just got an offer for a course when he got CCE in AS levels? I think I said something like this in another thread, and some guy just popped in saying it's the research that it's amazing at that makes it a good uni. Doesnt being a good uni mean more than good research?
    I agree entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what course. If it's a Science like Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Biology he/her would have been rejected. But, I suppose if it humanities, that would explain it. Even LSE offer low grades for some of their humanities courses.

The thing about good research and large student populations. Means, better building(Alan Turing building I'm normally at is really good), better lecturer e.t.c.

Having a lot of people good at research means you are taught by better people.

I don't know what good uni's have that Manchester hasn't?

ReputationRep:
    Judging someone by their A-Levels results is rather stupid, tbf. I kind of want to say the university recognises their abilities, simply because many of my coursemates ended up with like BCC-CDD, and one, in particular, graduated with CDE at A-Levels, and is average a first in Hebrew, which isn't one of the easy languages to learn.

And if you have good research, you attract experts in their fields, which means they can teach and provide you with top-end courses. They're obviously not all that great, as with all universities (and that most definitely includes Oxbridge), but some will be brilliant, will care about you, will help you improve, and that's what you want, not some 2-hand lecturers that were just desperately looking for a job at any university.

If you didn't like Manchester when you came, then fair enough, but most people will be attracted to it because it's a big city, it's lively, you've got plenty of things to do, and unlike London, it's cheap. It's got a great library, attractive buildings and they're constantly trying to improve the facilities, for example they're currently building a study space by the library, so you don't have to annoy everyone at the library when you want to work on a group project.

I wouldn't say it's the best university, but it's definitely a great one, and it's got a lot more to offer than plenty of universities in the UK. Being the biggest university in the UK, and having an international reputation will obviously attract people.

ReputationRep:
    I heard it's because they do such a wide range of courses... that certain departments drag it down.

ReputationRep:
    The league tables takes student satisfaction into account and being such a large uni, it doesnt satisfy everybody and this lets it down. However i think most people are satisfied generally.

Someone said that they think its a mediocre uni, which I disagree entirely, I think its above average, its not absolutely first rate but its certainly not 'mediocre'.
    Im in the largest course at the uni and yes some of the teaching is quite poor but some of it is really really good.

One poster said they know someone who got an offer from getting CCE at AS. Well AS arent really used when considering offers, its predicted grades and lets say the person was predicted one grade higher, so BBD, the person could possibly get an offer for the undersubscribed courses. A lot of good unis offer courses with low entry grades for subjects like Nursing or Sociology.

It does have very good research but it also has really good teaching as well, and yes it is one of the most targeted unis by employers because of such a large pool of students but also I think they recognise that uni is a good university with good candidates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    The league tables takes student satisfaction into account and being such a large uni, it doesnt satisfy everybody and this lets it down. However i think most people are satisfied generally.

Someone said that they think its a mediocre uni, which I disagree entirely, I think its above average, its not absolutely first rate but its certainly not 'mediocre'.
    Im in the largest course at the uni and yes some of the teaching is quite poor but some of it is really really good.

One poster said they know someone who got an offer from getting CCE at AS. Well AS arent really used when considering offers, its predicted grades and lets say the person was predicted one grade higher, so BBD, the person could possibly get an offer for the undersubscribed courses. A lot of good unis offer courses with low entry grades for subjects like Nursing or Sociology.

It does have very good research but it also has really good teaching as well, and yes it is one of the most targeted unis by employers because of such a large pool of students but also I think they recognise that uni is a good university with good candidates.
    Very true. Bristol is meant to be one of the best in the country for Russian, yet their requirements are still BBB-BCC. Doesn't make it any worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Judging someone by their A-Levels results is rather stupid, tbf. I kind of want to say the university recognises their abilities, simply because many of my coursemates ended up with like BCC-CDD, and one, in particular, graduated with CDE at A-Levels, and is average a first in Hebrew, which isn't one of the easy languages to learn.

And if you have good research, you attract experts in their fields, which means they can teach and provide you with top-end courses. They're obviously not all that great, as with all universities (and that most definitely includes Oxbridge), but some will be brilliant, will care about you, will help you improve, and that's what you want, not some 2-hand lecturers that were just desperately looking for a job at any university.

If you didn't like Manchester when you came, then fair enough, but most people will be attracted to it because it's a big city, it's lively, you've got plenty of things to do, and unlike London, it's cheap. It's got a great library, attractive buildings and they're constantly trying to improve the facilities, for example they're currently building a study space by the library, so you don't have to annoy everyone at the library when you want to work on a group project.

I wouldn't say it's the best university, but it's definitely a great one, and it's got a lot more to offer than plenty of universities in the UK. Being the biggest university in the UK, and having an international reputation will obviously attract people.
    Anatheme, hows it going? if I vaguely remember you wanted to change courses from Manc to somewhere else, how did that go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    Anatheme, hows it going? if I vaguely remember you wanted to change courses from Manc to somewhere else, how did that go?
    I was gonna change from Manchester to Bristol to do sole Russian (haha), but ended up deciding against, after getting an offer, because I didn't want to have to start from scratch all over again (not in terms of course, rather in terms of getting used the the city, getting friends, the teaching, etc). So I'm on my year abroad and hopefully finishing at Manchester next year!

ReputationRep:
    It's in the top ten for physics I think, and depsite the fact that they were blatently trying to sell it to us on the open day, some of the facts don't like, it does seem like it is one of the best departments in the country for it. And the standard offer they have give is A*AA.

Perhaps it might be better to consider where it ranks for individual subjects rather than as whole? As someone said, offering a wide range of course might mean some departments drag it down somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    It depends which course, it's 9th in the country for architecture

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...s-2011&h=a4f64

29th in the world

ReputationRep:
    The domestic league tables like The Guardian’s are based on 'Student Satisfaction' and how much people enjoy their courses. It isn't actually based on any scientific methodology like say the ARWU which places Manchester in the top 10 universities in Europe

Manchester to be anywhere near 50th in the UK of course is the equivalent of saying that the United States Gross Domestic Product ranks behind Peru. It's a ridiculous rankings system and you'd have to be pretty ridiculous to believe it

ReputationRep:
    A post before really hit the nail on the head here - The Uni is dragged down by its student satisfaction, it has lots of undergrads and so some people inevitably don't love it as much, hence the low score.
    It's worth looking at individual departments though because i know the life science faculty however has a satisfaction score of something stupid like 98% (i'm a little bias).

I've found the people who don't enjoy the uni and give negative feedback tend to be the sort of people who just sort of complain without actually doing anything about it. I was rep for my course last year and at the feedback meetings the staff were really helpful and amiable.

It isn't as quite up there with Oxbridge, Imperial or Edinburgh (yet) but you still get taught by world-class lecturers and people with years of experience, also its very targeted by employers (pretty handy).

I would 100% recommend at least going for an open day cos its a great place, too many naive AS/A2 students put too much faith into the uni guide - I turned down higher ranked unis and I can't imagine being anywhere else!

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends where you look. The University has been placed 5th in the UK in the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2011 and 7th in the UK in the 2011 QS World University Rankings.

ReputationRep:
    As a former student I would not recommend it, the attitude most of the staff members have (both academic and non-academic) is absolutely disgusting. They don't care about their students, they just see you as an income.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.