Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to join a political party if you don't agree with their politics? I think you need a new hobby...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    True. Now they're just cocks (but common cocks)

Oh and they don't support grammars-that was dropped in 2007 by David Willetts and they never actively supported them anyway. Name the number of grammars set up between 1979 and 1997... (Oh and it was under the Tories 1970-1974 government that most grammars where shut down). That said I'm not sure why you'd support grammars anyway-they where and are a failure in general terms.

And I don't understand why Labour has a 'way out left' drugs policy. I always thought we where rather illiberal on drugs.
    I said "way up the left", meaning silly and nonsensical.
    I fully support grammar schools because they encourage social mobility, although the 11+ is, admittedly, flawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurora.)
    Why would you want to join a political party if you don't agree with their politics? I think you need a new hobby...
    I don't know all that much about individual parties, so I don't know if one is right for me or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)

You shouldn't need any more convincing.
    And the Monster Raving Loony Party ask for policy ideas and include some of them, not ignoring them like other parties do.

They had a cat as leader after Screaming Lord Sutch died as well- spoke more sense than leaders like Berlusconi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    I said "way up the left", meaning silly and nonsensical.
    I fully support grammar schools because they encourage social mobility, although the 11+ is, admittedly, flawed.
    Not a phrase I've heard before... What would you prefer?

Really? Not on any evidence I've seen-they restain a majority of pupils, premote the most gifted and are generally dominated by middle class pupils whose parents crowd around areas with grammars. Social class and parents educational achievement is still the key determinant of how well a child does in school-not grammar schools.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why people would join any party except to be an MP. Your views are your own, and even if they match that of a party at present, that'll change 6 months before the next election, and then again if they get a new leader. Don't join a political party, none of them deserve your support

ReputationRep:
    I am rather interested in politics, and would like to do more than read about the various happenings, so what about joining a party? Yes, yes.. that

I don't want to join one of those little parties, because they'll probably never do anything much. So:

Labour. Well their drug policy is way up the left, and they like comprehensive schools.. **** that

Conservative. They're largely aristocratic, but at least they like grammar schools. But then their Chancellor is interested in "tax simplification", by which he means taxing the poor, proportionately speaking, as much as the rich. That's a bit regressive. No...

Liberal Democrats. Liars. Done.

My information is probably all wrong. Could anyone convince me of a party?
    Vote Conservative. If not, then Liberal Democrats.

Labour's legacy- debt and war

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R3L4Y)
    he's right
    If that's his alignment, he should go BNP...

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    And the Monster Raving Loony Party ask for policy ideas and include some of them, not ignoring them like other parties do.

They had a cat as leader after Screaming Lord Sutch died as well- spoke more sense than leaders like Berlusconi.
    Ahh yes, Cat Mandu :rip:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)

In a choice between that and mini-Thatchers, I think I know what I'd choose...

Bear in mind that it's very easy for someone to get into debt by making the wrong decision (oh hello Captain Obvious, I didn't hear you come in), but no-one can say that any other party wouldn't have made the same decision.

ReputationRep:

Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    Not a phrase I've heard before... What would you prefer?

Really? Not on any evidence I've seen-they restain a majority of pupils, premote the most gifted and are generally dominated by middle class pupils whose parents crowd around areas with grammars. Social class and parents educational achievement is still the key determinant of how well a child does in school-not grammar schools.
    I prefer much more liberal drug laws, most likely full legalisation.
    Yes, they do disproportionately aid middle-class pupils and parents, but the alternative for good schooling is the private sector, and that squeezes out even most of the middle classes, never mind the poor. So I support grammar schools, because they're the best of a bad bunch.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer much more liberal drug laws, most likely full legalisation.
    Yes, they do disproportionately aid middle-class pupils and parents, but the alternative for good schooling is the private sector, and that squeezes out even most of the middle classes, never mind the poor. So I support grammar schools, because they're the best of a bad bunch.
    The alternative would be simply to create good compehensive schools for all abilities-which is perfectly possible. The fact is taht grammars are generally the best schools as they're in very good areas, with a mix of classes who generally do well (And this can be evidenced by comparing the results of the top 25% in comprehensives in similar areas-the reuslts and value added are almost exactly the same) and with the most gifted pupils. Roll them out across the country and you'll find exactly the same situation as before-75% penalised for their lack of ability and 'bad grammars' in places where bad comps used to exist-the only difference being that they'll be a sublayer of 'even worse' secondary moderns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no-fat-chicks)
    They do i believe because I remember reading it. Was very amusing.

here: manifesto
    Well, I know who I'm voting for

ReputationRep:
    MRLP policy: "GCSE Lottery
    It is proposed that, before the beginning of exams, the exam board will select a certain obscure phrase which will be kept secret. If any pupil inadvertently writes this phrase in any exam, he/she will automaticaly receive straight A* grades, and a free teddy."

****ing awesome, I want a teddy!

ReputationRep:
    Join the Tories, we have Boris!

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Tories- Boris Johnson.

Liberal Democrats- just cos they are in the coalition. and if that doesn't please you, then vince cable.

Not Labour- a bunch of liars who have destroyed everything they touch

ReputationRep:
    Tories- Boris Johnson.

Liberal Democrats- just cos they are in the coalition. and if that doesn't please you, then vince cable.

Not Labour- a bunch of liars who have destroyed everything they touch
    The Lib Dems haven't proven so great at telling the truth either.

And I don't see anybody carrying a knife being locked up in jail, so neither are the Tories. They're all liars.

ReputationRep:
    NOT LABOUR, DEAR GOD, ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN THAT.

Go for Conservative!
    Aint no party like Thatcher lovin' party!

but at least they like grammar schools.
    Nope. Not under Cameron.
    Also no longer massively arsitocratic. They quite liberal compared to previous Tory governments.

Unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NyLonEd)
    NOT LABOUR, DEAR GOD, ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN THAT.

Go for Conservative!
    Aint no party like Thatcher lovin' party!

Nope. Not under Cameron.
    Also no longer massively arsitocratic. They quite liberal compared to previous Tory governments.

Unfortunately.
    If they don't want grammar schools, they have little to offer me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.