Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate being a 'low income student' Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    the EMA system as it is, is totally messed up. It's not being removed its being replaced. I went to a fee paying school and there were people in my year who had their own brand new cars, with personalised licence plates, and got 30 pounds a week EMA.

I wish I could say this is a small minority, but its a sizeable amount of people who claim EMA do so under such circumstances.
    I'm so sick of arguing about EMA by now, haha... I agree the system is flawed and I'm past being bothered that they're dropping it, I'm hoping to have found a part time job by the end of year 12 anyway. I know exactly what you mean, but I don't want this to turn into another EMA thread. I was simply stating that I may as well claim money I'm entitled to, and I hate how people look down on me because of it.

ReputationRep:
    You'll love it when you get to uni and you're one of the richest there due to the extra support you get.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    **** those idiots. Make it the haters more jealous by saying that you got something with your EMA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tompazr)
    You'll love it when you get to uni and you're one of the richest there due to the extra support you get.
    This. Apply for all the bursaries you are eligible for!
    Plus, save as much of the EMA as you can.

ReputationRep:
    People at uni won't care what you're background is, it never really comes up. Me and my friend/housemate struggle for money/are classified as 'low income' through no fault of our own (parents losing jobs/struggling to find them). One of the guys is blatantly loaded. If anything, it's the rich ones who are more noticeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    People at uni won't care what you're background is, it never really comes up. Me and my friend/housemate struggle for money/are classified as 'low income' through no fault of our own (parents losing jobs/struggling to find them). One of the guys is blatantly loaded. If anything, it's the rich ones who are more noticeable.
    It's my knowledge that most people in university have little money for most of the time they spend there anyway, so I'm not worried about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennaz77)
    Your post is amazing. I wish one of these stupid MPs threatening to cut EMA could read it. Apparantly 90% of EMA recipients are fine with the cuts :rolleyes:
    Theyve bought the targeted support line hook line and sinker. Tbh i'm surprised by that. The student support fund+80% humanities cut are their weakest policies yet everyone just targets the 9000pounds tuition fees policy.

ReputationRep:
    My mum works 70+ hours a week and I work 20 or so hours a week on top of school.
    I'm hardly sponging off the government considering most of my EMA goes on buses and books.
    But what can you do :/

ReputationRep:
    Just remember,

ReputationRep:
    Think of it this way, you're pretty much independent by working your ass off to go to university. Doesn't that make you at least content that at your age, you manage to fix this problem and succeed on it? Once you reach your 30s, you'll probably have achieve more than this.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in same situation as you. My mum's looking for a job, but we live in a small town and she has minimal qualifications so it's not easy.

As others have said, the best thing to do is just concentrate on your grades. You've realised that hard work and education will better your future, so keep working towards it. Go for it with the an Oxbridge application; wealth should not be a factor in selecting applicants and you have as much right to a place as anyone.

You're post was amazing

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed reading your post, because I can relate to it a lot. All I can really say is try not to get bitter about it, keep working and if you want to go to Oxbridge, apply there.

Now I'm at uni I actually feel quite rich in some ways, as I get more financial support from the government than most of my friends, though there are people who receive loads of money from their parents.

In all honesty though it doesn't matter that much. Everyone's financial situation is different and most people don't care at uni. It's probably worse off for middle class people who are unlucky and don't receive help from either the government or their parents.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair OP, lots of friends may say "you don't deserve EMA/ALG" I've said it to two rich people(one living in the post part of Harrogate(so naturally quite rich, and Harrogate is posh in the first place) and one who's parents earn 70K. Both receive ALG, but live with their parents) but a lot of the time, its just harmless banter. The teacher was out of line though

In all fairness, I am using my EMA on driving lessons, but I count that as education. Its a nice skill to have for some employers. Some employers will like you to drive, rather than take the train. The rest of the £10 I receive goes in to my bank account and stays there until uni

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.