Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Unless you were at the protest and witnessed how the police acted, close your mouth.

The police loved it, and when I say ‘police’, I mean the vast majority of them.
    Unfortunately, like the people above, the majority of people gain their information from the media and not from first-hand experience. It’s easy to sit on your armchair stating your criticism and disagreements.

When we are forced by authoritarian means into an area by a government institution, which claims to be ‘democratic’, we will use any means necessary to break free.

The man who was forced from his wheelchair had every right to be at the protest as anybody else. He should not be pressured into not going simply because he cannot walk.
    The fact is, that man was criminally forced off his wheelchair and dragged across the street, using violent actions similar to which were being used throughout the entire day.

ReputationRep:
    So while one young man suffers a minor stroke after being beaten unconscious with a truncheon a handicapped person is being dragged from his wheelchair.

The police are again doing what they do best - brutilising ordinary citizens. Never imagine for one moment that the police are your fellow citizens, your friends, or your neighbours. They are an arm of the State and have shown time and again their willingness to attack ordinary people, whether they be CND supporters in the 70's, striking miners in 1981, or catholic citizens in Northern Ireland. Given the opportunity they would open fire on these students with no more compassion or feeling than was shown by the Chinese authorities at Tianamen Square.

Shame on the pigs! They deserve everything they get. I pray for the student's success and continued solidarity, and that their resolve becomes hardened to their cause. No yield. No surrender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    So while one young man suffers a minor stroke after being beaten unconscious with a truncheon a handicapped person is being dragged from his wheelchair.

The police are again doing what they do best - brutilising ordinary citizens. Never imagine for one moment that the police are your fellow citizens, your friends, or your neighbours. They are an arm of the State and have shown time and again their willingness to attack ordinary people, whether they be CND supporters in the 70's, striking miners in 1981, or catholic citizens in Northern Ireland. Given the opportunity they would open fire on these students with no more compassion or feeling than was shown by the Chinese authorities at Tianamen Square.

Shame on the pigs! They deserve everything they get. I pray for the student's success and continued solidarity, and that their resolve becomes hardened to their cause. No yield. No surrender.
    i cant tell if this is meant to be sarcastic or not.

I think you will struggle to find many places where the police act with such restraint as ours do.

In france, during the pension riots, police were armed with pump action shotguns, stun grenades, side arms etc.

America, every policeman carries a gun.

Cuba, student protests were broken up with police carrying assault rifles with fixed bayonets.

China? Russia? Any eastern european country? Any far east country? Any middle eastern country? Any south american country?

I dont know by what yard stick everyone is measuring our police force by, but I would bet it's a lot lot better than the majority out there.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing cripples want to be seen as the same, it would be discrimination if he didn't get a beating when those around him where. Can't have it both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    i cant tell if this is meant to be sarcastic or not.

I think you will struggle to find many places where the police act with such restraint as ours do.

In france, during the pension riots, police were armed with pump action shotguns, stun grenades, side arms etc.

America, every policeman carries a gun.

Cuba, student protests were broken up with police carrying assault rifles with fixed bayonets.

China? Russia? Any eastern european country? Any far east country? Any middle eastern country? Any south american country?

I dont know by what yard stick everyone is measuring our police force by, but I would bet it's a lot lot better than the majority out there.
    No. I'm not being sarcastic. As I have indicated, the British Police are only less brutal than the Chinese because the law prevents them from being so. At heart, the British pigs are no better. If you armed them and directed them to use their own judgment the streets of London would be running red with the blood of history undergraduates.

ReputationRep:
    If he'd been knocked off his wheelchair and trampled by the crowd, I wonder who people would target for not protecting him?

(Original post by FyreFight)
      If he'd been knocked off his wheelchair and trampled by the crowd, I wonder who people would target for not protecting him?
      If you watch the video I posted, you'll see that he was not in a position to be trampled by the crowd as he was situated at the front...convenient for the police to wretch him from his wheelchair and pull him out and drag him along the road.

People are targetting the police for not protecting him and rightly so, because not only did they not protect him but they physically abused him.

I believe that if ever there is balance in the medias' reporting, we'll demand that stricter controls are placed on the police so as they can't abuse their position of trust (and attack those whom they are meant to protect) without any accountability whatsoever.

Everytime there is an investigation into police brutality a whitewash ensues.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yawn)
      If you watch the video I posted, you'll see that he was not in a position to be trampled by the crowd as he was situated at the front...convenient for the police to wretch him from his wheelchair and pull him out and drag him along the road.

People are targetting the police for not protecting him and rightly so, because not only did they not protect him but they physically abused him.

I believe that if ever there is balance in the medias' reporting, we'll demand that stricter controls are placed on the police so as they can't abuse their position of trust (and attack those whom they are meant to protect) without any accountability whatsoever.

Everytime there is an investigation into police brutality a whitewash ensues.
      You're showing your inexperience there. Obviously, you've never been at the front of a protest. It's the most dangerous of all possible places to be in a crowd, particularly regarding trampling. When the crowd surges, which direction does it surge toward?

He wasn't physically abused. He was removed - albeit forcefully - from a very dangerous situation and one where the police were responsible for his safety. He suffered no injury at the hands of the police and the fact that he came away from the day in one piece could potentially be heavily attributed to them.

ReputationRep:
      This sounds like the funniest thing ever.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RawJoh1)
      Maybe if the Police establishment didn't repeatedly close ranks and lie about its operations (eg. claiming that de Menezes was running away when he just boarded a tube train like a normal person. Or claiming that Ian Tomlinson had had no contact with the Police, when in fact he had been brutally assaulted by them), people wouldn't be so quick to think badly of them.

Just a thought, y'know ...
      Wow two incidents? Wow thats enough evidence to make a judgement about the entire police force and how they would gun down crowds of people.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      Wow two incidents? Wow thats enough evidence to make a judgement about the entire police force and how they would gun down crowds of people.
      Two instances out of mountain of instances. When the Police condemn incidents such as those and publically punish those responsible for
      a) the offences
      b) the misinformation and lies that are routinely spouted by official police spokespeople

they'll in a position to cry about being unfairly judged. Until then they can cry me a ****ing river.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by + polarity -)
      Yeah, turning up to a protest in a wheelchair wheely doesn't seem like a good idea.

:getmecoat:
      Nicely done

ReputationRep:
      You're showing your inexperience there. Obviously, you've never been at the front of a protest. It's the most possible of all possible places to be in a crowd, particularly regarding trampling. When the crowd surges, which direction does it surge toward?

He wasn't physically abused. He was removed - albeit forcefully - from a very dangerous situation and one where the police were responsible for his safety. He suffered no injury at the hands of the police and the fact that he came away from the day in one piece could potentially be heavily attributed to them.
      The force used was obviously disproportionate. He was in a wheelchair for goodness sake! They could have just, y'know ... wheeled him to safety instead of throwing him onto concrete floor.

If you think the force used was proportionate I really have no idea what to say to you.

ReputationRep:
      Life's a drag for that dude

ReputationRep:
      Yes! As everyone can see from the work the police do everyday they are criminals!

Upholding the law! Dealing with criminals! How dare they!!?!?!?! :rolleyes:

A few instances compared to the work they do everyday? Please, grow up. Some police are thugs, just as some bankers are, and invariabley some students are.

ReputationRep:
      The force used was obviously disproportionate. He was in a wheelchair for goodness sake! They could have just, y'know ... wheeled him to safety instead of throwing him onto concrete floor.

If you think the force used was proportionate I really have no idea what to say to you.
      What was disproportionate about it? They couldn't remove him whilst he was sat on his wheelchair, because that would break the police line and negate the entire purpose of the police presence.

They couldn't leave him at the front of the crowd, because that would leave him vulnerable to some very serious injuries.

They couldn't arrange some sort of stretcher to get him out, because there wasn't the room to use it and even if there was, there would be too much of a risk that protesters would grab it and use it as ammunition.

Their only option was to remove him from his chair to take him behind the police line to safety, and then remove the wheelchair afterwards, which is precisely what they did.

If you think that someone having their feet dragged along the ground, resulting in the huge injustice of scuffed shoes, amounts to some sort of violent example of police brutality I can only assume that you've led a very comfortable and sheltered life.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yawn)
      What incenses me is the uneven-handed way the BBC ask questions of this young disabled man (Jody McIntyre) in a sceptical manner which they don't employ when asking police representatives about the same situation. :rolleyes:

Have a read of this and the accompanying video of the BBC interview.

http://botherer.org/2010/12/14/the-bbc-and-the-police/
      That is what you would expect of a government broadcasting service? The government could at anytime stop the BBC's monopoly by having an american system of networks and advertising (Which I would prefer being a huge fox fan and because of the liberal left bias of the state),

So the BBC has to essentially be very careful about criticising state organs. I guarantee if we have television networks you would get certain networks being far more open minded about the actions of the police and protestors.

I have no idea why the left like the BBC so much, it is controlled by the government and they like to bring the heavys in if you don't sign up to their licensing scam. Have your cake and eat it in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
      This thread is ridiculously biased. Don't you hear of all the stories of disabled people ganging up on lone cops and beating them up?

ReputationRep:
      What was disproportionate about it? They couldn't remove him whilst he was sat on his wheelchair, because that would break the police line and negate the entire purpose of the police presence.

They couldn't leave him at the front of the crowd, because that would leave him vulnerable to some very serious injuries.

They couldn't arrange some sort of stretcher to get him out, because there wasn't the room to use it and even if there was, there would be too much of a risk that protesters would grab it and use it as ammunition.

Their only option was to remove him from his chair to take him behind the police line to safety, and then remove the wheelchair afterwards, which is precisely what they did.

If you think that someone having their feet dragged along the ground, resulting in the huge injustice of scuffed shoes, amounts to some sort of violent example of police brutality I can only assume that you've led a very comfortable and sheltered life.
      Are you taking the mick?

Watch this video:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHzS...layer_embedded

There was tonnes of space, easily enough to wheel McIntyre to the side of the road (ie. where they dragged him to) if he was in danger. Any police officer who isn't able to do that is clearly a useless police officer.

ReputationRep:
      Are you taking the mick?

Watch this video:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHzS...layer_embedded

There was tonnes of space, easily enough to wheel McIntyre to the side of the road (ie. where they dragged him to) if he was in danger. Any police officer who isn't able to do that is clearly a useless police officer.
      I'd assumed you were referring to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48wgxhSfQk8#t=0m43s

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.