Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should police use watercanons at violent protests? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It will be fun. Especially in the heat!

:0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrnightcat)
    Take a look: http://www.thelocal.de/national/20101006-30295.html

In a crowd of thousands of students, you could get one of two of these. As for me, I think water cannons are far too heavy handed, especially for something like student protests.

Water cannons can injure people, especially those caught close to one, and there'd be immediate controversy should they get used from both people who support and do not support the protests. It's crossing a line, surely.

Whilst this might be no valid comparison due to the different size of the water stream, have you seen the damage those pressure cleaners (for the street, cleaning driveways, etc) can do? The long-nosed water guns that spray a line of high pressure water. Cleaners on a high enough pressure can pulverise flesh or cut right through skin in seconds.
    I totally agree. That's why I believe that Conservative Home Secretary Theresa May is right to reject their use for student protests. Here's a good link to a news report about her stance in 'The Guardian':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/de...udent-protests

ReputationRep:
    stop making topics and get a life. You're always on here. Jheez

ReputationRep:
    "She said that the acts of violence, including damaging historic statutes, breaking windows and starting fires, had been the work not a small minority but of a significant number of troublemakers."

Quality journalism from the Grauniad again.

ReputationRep:
    Ordinarily I wouldn't mind, but with the temperatures we've had recently it would be quite reckless to go around drenching everyone (and covering pavements in water when it's likely to become ice) :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cold_sky)
    Is that what its called? I couldnt remember. The only way it'll harm you is if you're stupid enough to hang around close to it when it starts. Still, an imaginative idea for crowd control.
    To be honest, I searched wikipedia for 'pain ray' :P.

It just sounds like really bad times if you trip over, get caught on something, hurt your leg etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    And the Tories say our education system is crap . Thatcher can't even spell Water cannon correctly. :eek:

(I know she's a troll but still trolls need to atleast adapt to their character and adopt atleast the mannerisms of that character).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    I think that they represent something that we don't want to see on our streets.
    what control over a violent mob? Yeah gods forbid they should you know not be allowed kick down glass windows and throw paint over cars and chuck fire extuingishers off rooftops.

Anyway i disagree with watercannons due to the fact that they can break bones and rupture interanl organs (im more thinking of cost to the NHS than a rioters safety btw). However other methods of crowd dispersal should be used and im not talking just about student rioters but any kind of rioter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary2010)
    I totally agree. That's why I believe that Conservative Home Secretary Theresa May is right to reject their use for student protests. Here's a good link to a news report about her stance in 'The Guardian':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/de...udent-protests
    May is the epitome of ineptness. She could not even answer questions about charles being attacked. Watching her interview was painful. Saying that, I'm glad she has that stance.

ReputationRep:
    Wut??? Are we talking about insurgents with RPGs and machetes or oppotunist secondary school children playing truant here? :lolwut: Tear gas is an absolutely moronic suggestion. Water cannons would be funny to watch but I think it's still overkill. The crowds aren't killing people or looting are they............................ .or are they? :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    In theory yes, in practice , putting that power in the hands of some of the policemen in this country would probably end badly.
    Part of the problem is that the majority of people have little or no knowledge or experience of our Police service or that of overseas. Most countries, including most EU states, deal with violent protests far harsher than over here. On a similar note many Police services and forces from around the world turn to ours for advice on things like policy.

Most people glean their view of the Police from tiny snapshots of rare and isolated events in the media which are taken out of context or aren't representative of the whole.

(Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    Police are required to use REASONABLE force against attacks.

An unarmed student could not have attacked an armed, fully protected riot police officer with such ferocity that near-death brain injuries would be classfied as 'reasonable force'.
    I find it humorous that pretty much everybody here seems to be an expert in defending themselves against armed and unarmed opponents, and policing in general, despite the fact that they've never worked or studied these fields, or been in such a position.

ReputationRep:
    The only time the violence got bad enough to even consider using water cannons was the one last month which resulted in everyone breaking into (and trashing the hell out of) Tory HQ.

Probably not the best place to fire a water cannon if your aim is to reduce the amount of damage done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Part of the problem is that the majority of people have little or no knowledge or experience of our Police service or that of overseas. Most countries, including most EU states, deal with violent protests far harsher than over here. On a similar note many Police services and forces from around the world turn to ours for advice on things like policy.

Most people glean their view of the Police from tiny snapshots of rare and isolated events in the media which are taken out of context or aren't representative of the whole.

I find it humorous that pretty much everybody here seems to be an expert in defending themselves against armed and unarmed opponents, and policing in general, despite the fact that they've never worked or studied these fields, or been in such a position.
    Oh, really.

Plus, it's quite obvious a man in riot gear will be able to do more damage to one without.

ReputationRep:
    Water cannons can result in serious injury. There is a widely circulating image of a man who has been blinded and his eyes ripped up by a water cannon.

Not to mention their use would further provoke violence in the crowd and could cause people to freeze in sub zero conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelo Angelo)
    I wouldn't trust the police here to use them appropriatly, I think they would overuse them and people would get seriously injured over minor incidents at protests that didn't justify the use of the canon but the police had used it anyway because its so much easier than doing what they have to do now.
    yes; I agree that our police are not some of the most reliable in the world.

fact is, outside a handful of select countries, you'd be pulled in a side street and shot if you were identified as a protester.
    russian police would chop of your fingers, so stfu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    what control over a violent mob? Yeah gods forbid they should you know not be allowed kick down glass windows and throw paint over cars and chuck fire extuingishers off rooftops.

Anyway i disagree with watercannons due to the fact that they can break bones and rupture interanl organs (im more thinking of cost to the NHS than a rioters safety btw). However other methods of crowd dispersal should be used and im not talking just about student rioters but any kind of rioter.
    As soon as the **** threw the fire extinguisher off the roof, the entire crowd berated him with chants. I think it's fair to say all protesters are against that kind of behaviour, especially when it comes to seriously harming people (how many police officers have had to have life saving operations?). And don't belive the injury numbers they give, they tend to account anything and everything.

It's quite comical; my god they're breaking windows and throwing paint. Quick, call the bloody army.

Money money money, who cares about the safety of lives. Or HE for that matter.

The whole damn thing has been blown incredibly out of proportion. For one thing, the protests have not been "violent" enough (yet) to warrant the kind of tactics used elsewhere, eg rubber bullets, tear gas. Not that I wouldn't be against it if they were to turn that violent, eg blowing up cars.

ReputationRep:
    I actually said today how can a water cannon be more dangerous than being hit repeatedly with a riot shield or baton by the police for no reason but the article that's going around on here pretty much answered that for me and my opinion on it.

The police are already seen to be too heavy handed already so this will only add to it. We also can't trust the police with the equipment the have already so how will this help with more man-power at their hands.
    You also have to understand that only a certain number of students are actually causing the trouble so it will cause anger and might cause injuries with students who are just protesting peacefully.
    Plus the weather is hardly "warm" outside so drenching students already in cold temperatures with a even colder water canon will not go down well with anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Also, how is the use of water cannons proportionate to the crimes committed? Oooh a broken window and graffiti?

ReputationRep:
    no this isnt America

ReputationRep:
    If they brought them out at the previous protest, they'd be responsible for giving a number of people hypothermia without a doubt. Particularly if they kettled them at the same time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.