Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone else gone off junk food? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    I don't know if anyone classes nandos as fast food, but it makes me feel so ILL gives me a really bad stomach ache!
    Nando's :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have fast food that often, and I don't like it that much (other then pizza).
    I have a pack of crisps about twice a day though, but that's it.

ReputationRep:
    I completely went off junk food when I was 13, I'm obsessed with Pret and EAT salads now :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I used to enjoy having a McDonalds but these days it's just become so unappetising. The smell of the places puts me off a lot. That said though, an ice cold Coke on a hot summers day from there wouldn't go amiss.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Except my meal making is much more simple. I just get 8 or 9 vegetables, steam them and have them with fishcakes and pour chilli olive oil all over it. Tastes really good, it's really healthy & it's really cheap & easy.

I also eat 6 or 7 fruits a day so I get about 15 fruit & veg a day

ReputationRep:
    I've seriously gone off it. Walking past mcdonalds makes me feel sick. I'm really into super healthy meals, and cooking from scratch. Like I will make my own wholegrain pizza dough, own made tomato purée , organic chicken on top and organic vegetables and I have been feeling better because of it. I don't know what's gotten in to me but I like it! Anyone else going through this?!
    That is not a bad thing. I didn't mind junk food until i started training around 18 months ago. Eating healthily becomes a habit, and it is definitely a good habit.

ReputationRep:
    I've seriously gone off it. Walking past mcdonalds makes me feel sick. I'm really into super healthy meals, and cooking from scratch. Like I will make my own wholegrain pizza dough, own made tomato purée , organic chicken on top and organic vegetables and I have been feeling better because of it. I don't know what's gotten in to me but I like it! Anyone else going through this?!
    Yes! Although I'm not as healthy as I once was. I agree with you, I've gone off McDonald's in particular, but I am still partial to a KFC or Fish & Chips ( well, in my case chicken and chips...) but yes, McDonald's makes me feel a little nauseous.

You said you've been feeling much better because of eating healthily - I can understand exactly what you mean. I went on a 'diet' to gain weight as I was clinically underweight, and went to a dietician. She put me on a diet of strictly no junk food and only healthy, and organic when possible, food. Btw, organic does actually make a difference. I noticed - and as strange as this may sound - that I no longer got cramp when stretching. When I used to stretch in bed, my back would get cramp and hurt like hell, however, I never got this when eating healthily - and it wasn't just a coincidence.

Not sure what the point of the above is, but I'm ill and rambling...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a while ago. Especially when I found out McDonald's hamburgers and fries can last up to a few years without decaying.

ReputationRep:
    Y'know the weird thing about junk food? Especially the likes of McDonalds etc.

See when you don't eat it for a while, you really no longer crave it. The chemical addiction isn't even apparent to you until you're on the outside looking in!

But when your pals inevitably drag you in and you take a bite of burger or a few fries, the first thing that hits you is actually how unhealthy it *tastes*. You never even notice it if you get used to it. Later on after this I get a bit of a sore stomach which is actually hungry again, because my body's used to actual nutrients now.

When I want 'fast food' I dive into a local sandwich shop and get them to build me up a big ham salad sandwich fresh in front of me with lettuce that's actually crunchy, onions that're actually spicy and peppery, and ham that tastes of that lovely honey-glazed flavour and flakes apart just right under stress, the juicy of some fresh sliced tomatoes and the crisp snap of just-cut cucumber following as the first bite ends. Every single taste is there-and-then, so unbelievably fresh, delicious and unique; in comparison, a McDonalds hamburger, say, just tastes like a coaster that's inexplicably dry on the outside whilst still tasting greasy, with the overwhelming sweetness of ketchup being the predominant flavour.

If you ask me, the major problem is, once you're hooked on burgers and fast food, the chemical addiction is there, and as the fresh-made healthy stuff doesn't have that chemical "one more time" feeling, your mind is overwhelmed by the desire to have junk instead because... well, your body is now actually *craving* it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Yes! Except my meal making is much more simple. I just get 8 or 9 vegetables, steam them and have them with fishcakes and pour chilli olive oil all over it. Tastes really good, it's really healthy & it's really cheap & easy.

I also eat 6 or 7 fruits a day so I get about 15 fruit & veg a day
    How do you have enough room in your tummy for that many fruit and veg? If I ate that much I wouldn't have room for anything else!

ReputationRep:
    Dunno If I'm totally off it, I'm just trying to avoid it as much as I can for the obvious reasons-unhealthy and full of non-needed calories.

(Original post by TotoMimo)
      Y'know the weird thing about junk food? Especially the likes of McDonalds etc.

See when you don't eat it for a while, you really no longer crave it. The chemical addiction isn't even apparent to you until you're on the outside looking in!

But when your pals inevitably drag you in and you take a bite of burger or a few fries, the first thing that hits you is actually how unhealthy it *tastes*. You never even notice it if you get used to it. Later on after this I get a bit of a sore stomach which is actually hungry again, because my body's used to actual nutrients now.

When I want 'fast food' I dive into a local sandwich shop and get them to build me up a big ham salad sandwich fresh in front of me with lettuce that's actually crunchy, onions that're actually spicy and peppery, and ham that tastes of that lovely honey-glazed flavour and flakes apart just right under stress, the juicy of some fresh sliced tomatoes and the crisp snap of just-cut cucumber following as the first bite ends. Every single taste is there-and-then, so unbelievably fresh, delicious and unique; in comparison, a McDonalds hamburger, say, just tastes like a coaster that's inexplicably dry on the outside whilst still tasting greasy, with the overwhelming sweetness of ketchup being the predominant flavour.

If you ask me, the major problem is, once you're hooked on burgers and fast food, the chemical addiction is there, and as the fresh-made healthy stuff doesn't have that chemical "one more time" feeling, your mind is overwhelmed by the desire to have junk instead because... well, your body is now actually *craving* it!
      Well, white bread is basically junk food and is in no way good for you and deli meats are ****-tier so it's not really a great improvement...

ReputationRep:
      Being from the UK, the standard isn't "junky" white bread, bud; I get thick-cut wholegrain bread when I get a takeaway sandwich. Moreover, I usually get turkey/chicken, which, besides sodium count, is super-healthy.

It really depends where you go but so long as you make a proper, educated judgement as to what you put into your body, you can be healthy regardless of where you go or what you do.

Once again, everything is down to the individual. if he or she chooses unhealthy fillings, they shouldn't expect magically positive repercussions. Hungry? Get a sandwich. Want to be filled up? Get it loaded with lettuce and cucumber as extras instead of lard sauce and huzzah!

ReputationRep:
      I've gotten into making my own wholemeal pizzas too And I've gotten into wholegrain pasta, rice, cereals etc, and making my own vegetable pasta sauces, eating less chocolate, cakes, etc. I don't know what's gotten into me. But I'm not complaining

Still love Chinese and Indian takeaways now and again, but would much rather have a healthy homecooked meal. :dontknow: Since becoming a student I have less of an appetite and junk food has become less appealing.

ReputationRep:
        Im actually pretty healthy

I never go to macdonalads, burger king, get take outs and I always cook from scratch every night.

However, a shop on campus sells a 800g bag of chocolate broken biscuits for £1 and I have slowly got into the habit of munching my way through a bag of them every fornight :ashamed2:

They are so awesomely good though :sogood:

I think my new years resolution is to cut down on my mass biscuit consumption....

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by secret_smile)
        Im actually pretty healthy

I never go to macdonalads, burger king, get take outs and I always cook from scratch every night.

However, a shop on campus sells a 800g bag of chocolate broken biscuits for £1 and I have slowly got into the habit of munching my way through a bag of them every fornight :ashamed2:

They are so awesomely good though :sogood:

I think my new years resolution is to cut down on my mass biscuit consumption....
        Or you could try and make a healthy cheesecake out of it somehow with lots of fruit ontop?

ReputationRep:
        Haven't had McDonalds, KFC, BK etc for two years and to be honest, I haven't missed it that much.

No, tell a lie, I miss the MaccyD apple pies. They're amazing; true fact. And their double cheeseburgers. KFC's popcorn chicken is lush as well.

I have just started getting back into it though; don't know whether to feel disgusted or pleased. Maybe both?

ReputationRep:
        I've never really been into junk food, I only really eat properly reared meat, local veg in my cooking. Never touch ready meals or that kind of crap. Some peoples diets at uni make me feel sick, like "why don't you just cook that, it's easy!"
        Until I get drunk/ high then I will eat every kind of junk going.

ReputationRep:
        I don't eat junk food even half as much as I used to, and I honestly can't remember the last time I went to McDonalds- but I haven't gone off it as such, just moved away from it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.