Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone keep a diary? I'm considering it... Watch

ReputationRep:
    In 2011 Im starting a public blog of my gap year, but im also going to keep a more personal unpublished diary of the year aswell as something to look back on

Thanks for the replies everyone
    Anyone else keep a diary?

ReputationRep:
    I started keeping one after reading Michael Palin's, they were pretty interesting. I have a terrible terrible memory, I really struggle to remember when things happened, so just writing it down helps me keep track of that and sort of fixes it in my mind. And you can have a good rant sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    there are these special journals (no, not specifically for 'special' people!) that sort of help you keep an account of everything. they kind of tell you the sort of things to include and really encourage you to express yourself in creative ways. i think they're really good, especially for people like me who find it hard to just get a pen and some paper and start writing and writing. i've never actually used one :P but was contemplating it one day when i came across a picture on flickr with one of these journals and googled it. i can't remember the name of it or any others but i'll get back to you if i do!

ReputationRep:
    WRECK THIS JOURNAL!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wreck-This-J...360434&sr=8-20

woop :-D

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a day to day one which I kept for about a year and then I found out that that my mum started reading it and without telling me why punishing me for things she didn't like in it. So I stopped and just wrote random things when I was really happy or sad but I have been considering starting one up again - if I can find a better hiding place that is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For the first time in my life I genuinely want to keep a diary, or, a sort of incoherent account of my thoughts, rather than a structured diary.
    Does anyone else do this?

At the moment, my head is quite a 'mess', and I thought keeping a diary might help me get on track and clear my mind and help me organise my thoughts a bit.
    So does anyone keep one? Or even better, has anyone kept one because of the same reasons I want to?
    Yes.. I do, I don't often write about my day, more about what I'm feeling and my thoughts about things.

I did it for the same reason you want to. It really does work! It definitely helps me to organise my thoughts, I just write when I want and it makes me feel better because I feel I'm getting it all off my chest

Why not have a go? It works well for me!

ReputationRep:
    I've tried a few times but it made me cringe reading it back, so I stopped.

ReputationRep:
    Not anymore... i have a diary blog online.. which i've not updated for sometime.

ReputationRep:
    My new year's resolution for 2007 was to keep a diary, and I have done ever since.

I write in it nearly every day, but I am not rigid about it or anything. My entries can be anything from a sob-inducing emotional splurge to a run down of my day, or gossip or things going on in the wider world. Anything I fancy writing about. If I don't want to writ, I don't.

I love having a sort of record of things. I don't know if I will ever sit down and read over them again but regardless, I like having a paper copy of just stuff. Plus, starting in when I did means that they run from Yr12 and thus cover a pretty important part of my life so far, when big decisions are made and things change.

I think keeping a diary is a nice thing, if it is what you want to do. It is a private thing. I definitely think it can help you work through your emotions and problems, and in a way that doesn't involve ranting at friends etc.

ReputationRep:
    I did but I use Tumblr now.

ReputationRep:
    I keep a mood and sleep diary.
    Which has sort of day to day events in it...

ReputationRep:
    I don't religiously write in it, but if I'm feeling worried, angry, excited and I need something to vent to, or to tell a secret to, I always tell it to my diary.

ReputationRep:
    I thought doing it was such a good idea, I enjoyed keeping it too. Think I lasted around 3 years, then I started to look back at what I'd written and then cringe. It didn't feel like a chore, but I started to think too much into what I was writing. And the possibility of someone reading it also affected what I wrote. So in a scared fluster I ripped all the pages out and put them through a shredder.

I think its a nice idea but for me it didn't work and I regret that.

ReputationRep:
    go for it :] ive written in one almost everyday since i was 13/14 & find it really cathartic just expressing all my honest thoughts/feelings on paper. & its interesting reading back on old entries to see how much your consciousness & life circumstances have changed over the years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racaha)
    I've tried a few times but it made me cringe reading it back, so I stopped.
    Ahaa, mine makes me laugh, I'll be thinking like Why was I such a tit?

ReputationRep:
    I've kept a diary for years, and reallly find it helps me sort through things that are going round in my head when I can put them down on paper. I'm the sort of person who tends to keep things bottled up, so writing it all down is theraputic for me! It's always interesting to read it back as so much of what happens gets forgotton otherwise, although sometimes i want to kick myself when I read about all the stupid mistakes I've made (benefit of hindsight), but I don't know what I'd do without one now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottttte.X)
    Ahaa, mine makes me laugh, I'll be thinking like Why was I such a tit?
    Yes! I read it back and I was just like, I'm such a fool. I don't need that kind of insight.

ReputationRep:
    I recently started writing one, have found it quite useful and kind of insightful in a way. However, i'm quite worried about the thought of someone finding it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    I keep a mood and sleep diary.
    What's that?

I recorded my mood everyday for 100 days and did a graph to try and see if there were any patterns (I had this theory about 'man periods' I wanted to test...)

Is that similar to what you were doing at all?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.