Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I totally agree with the fact that you've got to work to actually acheive something, however...

So many people like their ipods, their state of the art computers, going to a supermarket and having a lot of food to choose from without fear of it running out in a day, people like to wear their favourite brands of clothing and all the other things they can buy with their money.

These things can't be acheived in a communist society, .

Why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerd Loki)
    Certainly. We believe that the current capitalist system that dominates humanity is unsustainable. The workers, upon whose work all human endeavour is dependant, are being oppressed by the ruling classes. Our society seeks to return control over the economy to the people, who can run it so as to benefit the many as opposed to the few. I would suggest that you read an introduction to our ideology, many of which are available, if you wish to further acquaint yourself with our philosophy.
    Please, do us all a favour and read some Mises. Or at least aim to understand three concepts: the subjectivity of value, the role of the entrepreneur in capitalism and economic calculation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Why not?
    Why do you think our car industry crashed after it became privatised? It's because it wasn't keeping new and fresh like our European counterparts who were producing cars cheaper, quicker and at a quality that British Leyland could ever dream of. There is usually low research and development and things generally stay the same because there is no one to compete with and make something better, more efficient, more user friendly. There is very little choice and the person can be left unfulfilled.

I still think that the greatest product of capitalism is the ability to fill supermarket shelves with food every day usually without fail. People had to queue in communist countries to get into the supermarket and were limited to a set amount of items because that is all they are allocated. Sometimes the company won't get that right and will under produce. So far, the market (along with some help from the state) has been able to allocate resources far more efficiently than a pure state controlled system. Even Labour voters are beginning to realise this.

ReputationRep:
    I have just founded this society. Would any of you be interested in joining?
    You are going to be the harbinger of the next stage of human societal existence by starting a group on an online messageboard?

Okay then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    Why do you think our car industry crashed after it became privatised? It's because it wasn't keeping new and fresh like our European counterparts who were producing cars cheaper, quicker and at a quality that British Leyland could ever dream of. There is usually low research and development and things generally stay the same because there is no one to compete with and make something better, more efficient, more user friendly. There is very little choice and the person can be left unfulfilled.
    That is utterly unsubstantiated. Applying capitalist analogy to communist theoretical concepts simply doesn't work here. Who is to say there would be no competition in a comunist society?

Marx called what you have fallen prey to monetary fetishism. An obsession and overriding irrational outlook based solely upon an abstract and physically inconsequential item.

You believe that because money will not exist in a communist society. Then competition will not exist. As I say above, utterly unsubstantiated.

I still think that the greatest product of capitalism is the ability to fill supermarket shelves with food every day usually without fail. People had to queue in communist countries to get into the supermarket and were limited to a set amount of items because that is all they are allocated.
    The implication that the countries you are reffering to as communist were so is also highly contentious.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what is it that you find amusing about the suferring and oppression of the working classes. Does the poor child, crying and alone, working for pittance under an abusive master seem funny to you. Is it amusing that millions toil for little reward, whilst the privileged few live an oppulent life of luxury? I don't find this acceptable, and seek to open other's minds to this abominable system.
    This happens in capitalist countries too you know. What makes you think communism is going to help? Sharing money is your ideology? That's the most ludicrous thing ever. Seriously, go and study politics and law and open your eyes. China is communist, why don't you go and live there and see how much suffering is going on.

ReputationRep:
    I'll join and i definately think you should consider forming a TSR Communist Party. It would be awesome-sauce :awesome:

Workers of the world, unite!

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, aren't there enough left wing idiots on TSR already? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryA)
    This happens in capitalist countries too you know. What makes you think communism is going to help? Sharing money is your ideology? That's the most ludicrous thing ever. Seriously, go and study politics and law and open your eyes. China is communist, why don't you go and live there and see how much suffering is going on.
    I don't see why you object to equality of the people. Can you tell me why such a notion is 'ludicrous'?

I laugh at the suggestion that China is a communist state. The 'People's Republic' is the people's only in name - in reality it is controlled by a rulling class in the same way as any capitalist state. It is an absolute perversion of our ideology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Urgh, aren't there enough left wing idiots on TSR already? :mad:
    I take it that you have no constructive comments? Since you are clearly unable to empathise with the proletariat I see no point in your posting in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    Please, do us all a favor and read some Mises. Or at least aim to understand three concepts: the subjectivity of value, the role of the entrepreneur in capitalism and economic calculation.
    I reject the bourgeois notion that you have to read 600 page essays in order to formulate your ideology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeartOfDarkness)
    You are going to be the harbinger of the next stage of human societal existence by starting a group on an online messageboard?

Okay then.
    Obviously not. However, the function of the Society is to spread awareness of the aims and merits of communism, and I believe that the internet is the ideal medium through which to achieve this in a modern world.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why you object to equality of the people. Can you tell me why such a notion is 'ludicrous'?

I laugh at the suggestion that China is a communist state. The 'People's Republic' is the people's only in name - in reality it is controlled by a rulling class in the same way as any capitalist state. It is an absolute perversion of our ideology!
    I never said equality is ludicrous. I said sharing money (which is not equality) is ludicrous.

Communist is communist. It never worked in Russia/USSR and isn't working now.

You also need to continue your studies in politics, law and history.

ReputationRep:
    what??? A society for communist? Russia was a communism ryt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkRennie)
    Oh yes, the glorious revolution of France, let's replace one monarch with another. At least under the rule of Louis bourbon, France did not lose 100,000s of it's sons in the snowstorm of the Russian winter. I would say that any life is better than none.

I accept that the Labour party were very left wing but they had to accept that people did not care for their views so they became more central.
    You cannot deny that the modern french principles of 'liberte, egalite, fraternite', which stem directly from the revolution, are infinitley preferable to the Bourbon dictatorship. The rule of Napoleon is an example of the kind of result we most stongly seek to avoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makubex)
    what??? A society for communist? Russia was a communism ryt?
    The USSR represents a warning of the consequnces of failing to properly implement communist ideology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    I don't think they are at all. Recessions happen every decade or so. This one's slightly different in nature because it's debt-based and not inflation based, but it always happens. The truth is that people realise their wealth goes up in the years we're not in recession. Or, at least, by the time they might be worked up into caring enough, usually growth has returned.
    It cannot be denied that the recent economic crisis has highlighted the massive problems with capitalism. In the 'boom' times the rulers benefit, in the 'bust' times the workers are the ones who suffer.

ReputationRep:
    It cannot be denied that the recent economic crisis has highlighted the massive problems with capitalism. In the 'boom' times the rulers benefit, in the 'bust' times the workers are the ones who suffer.
    Many would argue that the current economic situation is due, in more than a small amount, to the actions of various governments and regulatory systems, at least as much as the private sector, but that's neither here nor there - that capitalism has problems doesn't mean much, because it shouldn't be compared to a utopian vision of perfection, it should compared to the alternatives - all of which, to any sensible person, offer a far more grim and less free vision of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    Many would argue that the current economic situation is due, in more than a small amount, to the actions of various governments and regulatory systems, at least as much as the private sector, but that's neither here nor there - that capitalism has problems doesn't mean much, because it shouldn't be compared to a utopian vision of perfection, it should compared to the alternatives - all of which, to any sensible person, offer a far more grim and less free vision of life.
    You admit yourself that the crisis is a result of the existence of capitalist society. Communism is not a 'utopian vision of perfection', it is a perfectly achievable aim.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Marxism.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.