Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    how much damage does it do to the battery life?

after i realised none of my friends had it, i just turned it off so havent had much time to test it fully
    I can't speak for Androids as I'm testing it on my iPhone but I've gotta give them some brownie points for very clever management, so that if it senses you're not moving it will decrease the frequency it checks your location.

I found that if you're sitting in the same place, multiply your normal battery life by x0.9. If you're moving around, it's more like x0.75 your standard battery life.

Obviously I've only had it for a day so these are rough estimates from what I've seen so far.

ReputationRep:
    how much damage does it do to the battery life?

after i realised none of my friends had it, i just turned it off so havent had much time to test it fully
    On an Android phone it's more or less built into the Operating System, so it refreshes whenever the OS updates its location, and this can be specified in settings (every hour, every 2 hours etc.) You can also update it manually, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    you can set it up a number of different ways, but however you set it up only your friends will be able to see you.
    you can have it so you manually select your location on a map, have it update your location whenever you go on the app, or just be running constantly in the background. or of course temporarily turn it off

and having my friends know where i am the whole time, and being able to see where my friends are the whole time could be hugely useful
    WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE YOUR FRIENDS ARE THE WHOLE TIME??? YOU ARE CREEPY!!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i really couldn't care less about my privacy, i don't get why everyone is so uptight about it all.

and for the few times where i actually dont want people to know where i am etc, i can turn it off temporarily.
    No one is so uptight. We know that individuals need a private space and that privacy is important. Unfortunately, you don't value what you have.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want someone knowing where I am all the time- I like my privacy. Luckily I have a 10 year old Nokia so I doubt you'd be able to use this on it anyway mwahaaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    No one is so uptight. We know that individuals need a private space and that privacy is important. Unfortunately, you don't value what you have.
    i need a private space... for very small periods of time. otherwise i really dont.

all my friends know pretty much everything about me, i dont hide anything from any of them. i'm quite happy not having a private life, i just dont see the point, life's a lot easier for everyone when you don't

ReputationRep:
    i need a private space... for very small periods of time. otherwise i really dont.

all my friends know pretty much everything about me, i dont hide anything from any of them. i'm quite happy not having a private life, i just dont see the point, life's a lot easier for everyone when you don't
    You don't understand. It's not about hiding anything. Just about a basic portion of your life wich remains private. A life completely upon light is quite shallow. Privacy is one of the basic components of individuals. Of course, there is nothing bad about letting your friends where every moment. I just pointed out that this kind of choices separate those individuals with a whole personality (wich requires that intimate space for oneself) from those who want to merge in the increasing standarized post-industrial age mass.

ReputationRep:
    You don't understand. It's not about hiding anything. Just about a basic portion of your life wich remains private. A life completely upon light is quite shallow. Privacy is one of the basic components of individuals. Of course, there is nothing bad about letting your friends where every moment. I just pointed out that this kind of choices separate those individuals with a whole personality (wich requires that intimate space for oneself) from those who want to merge in the increasing standarized post-industrial age mass.
    thats just absolute *******s, keeping your whole life open to everyone doesn't make life shallow at all. it's much more fulfilling.

keeping large swathes of your life private just smacks of having huge insecurities

ReputationRep:
    thats just absolute *******s, keeping your whole life open to everyone doesn't make life shallow at all. it's much more fulfilling.

keeping large swathes of your life private just smacks of having huge insecurities
    Following your logic, it looks that this age when people is surrounded by cameras, technology lets you know everything about your friends and viceversa, and lights are turned on 24/7 people feel more insecure and sad, that in previous ages, when only people wihtin a same guild knew about their fellows' life and everybody had a portion of privacy regardless of their class (excepting the high class).
    As I can understand, that desire of sharing every aspect of your life with friends responds to a deep sensation of loliness typical of post-industrial age individuals. Of course, you are right, sharing it is much more fulfilling. That's why you need to keep doing it because otherwise you see what lies behind that desire of sharing: emptiness.

ReputationRep:
    Following your logic, it looks that this age when people is surrounded by cameras, technology lets you know everything about your friends and viceversa, and lights are turned on 24/7 people feel more insecure and sad, that in previous ages, when only people wihtin a same guild knew about their fellows' life and everybody had a portion of privacy regardless of their class (excepting the high class).
    As I can understand, that desire of sharing every aspect of your life with friends responds to a deep sensation of loliness typical of post-industrial age individuals. Of course, you are right, sharing it is much more fulfilling. That's why you need to keep doing it because otherwise you see what lies behind that desire of sharing: emptiness.
    you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about

ReputationRep:
    you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about
    If I take your stament by itself, I have to reply that neither you have thought deeply about the consequences at long term of your likely dependence on this service and how you see your own person. Obviously, I don't and you do.
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.