Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

lawyers launch legal challenge to kettling Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrnightcat)
    Ah, okay, thanks. I've not been catching up on the facts that quickly lately. Hopefully this time something significant will come from the review.
    Tbh I doubt it. Somone in 05 I think it was took it first to court then tried to apeal the ruling at the high court. Both courts found that kettling was a legal practise
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sete)
    You seem to forget that the day protesters managed to avoid being kettled there was no violence.

I'm not saying that there are not protesters who are out to cause problems and hell bent on violence.

But its quite obivous to see that by kettling people into small areas, not allowing them to leave and then battering those people who do then attempt to brake the police lines just fuels and exacerbates the problem. How do you expect people to act when you have disabled people dragged from wheelchairs, young girls hit with trugeons, whilst elderly and pregnant women are being shoved to the floor?
    Barely anyone showed up to that protest. The people that did show up spent so much time running from police there was no time for them to get violent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    Why can't these protests stay on its planned route?

Going off the planed route makes it illegal

'Kettling' is done to contain a protest that has already gone off its planned route

You can bring your precious iphones and ipods wit you, your hoods and enough gear to make sure no one can identify you but you can't bring a sandwich and a bottle of water?
    What planned route? I was never informed of any planned route.

The police blocked any further marching at Parliament Square

I did take water and food, and wore lots of warm clothing (and even then I was still freezing!), but that isn't the point.

Being denied access to warm shelter, medical services, food and water, sanitary toilet facilities is inhumane.

Illegal to march a protest on public land?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Given that bystanders were caught in the kettle and the Royals had paint thrown on their car, doesn't sound like kettling achieves the purpose you state.

Kettling DOES make people angry and how can it be just to deny people to food, medical attention and sanitary toilet facilities?

Mass destruction? I feel terribly sorry for the broken phone boxes, windows etc.
    That should be provided (I'm sure when they kettled in a protest a few years ago (G20?) they supplied food, water and toilets), but other than that I don't have a major issue with it. It sounds extreme and I don't like the concept, but the majority of the people there know what they are getting into and I can't think of any better ways to control it off the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    Why can't these protests stay on its planned route?

Going off the paned route makes it illegal

'Kettling' is done to contain a protest that has already gone off its planned route

You can bring your precious iphones and ipods wit you, your hoods and enough gear to make sure no one can identify you but you can't bring a sandwich and a bottle of water?
    A sandwich is hardly going to last you 9 hours, esp not in freezing conditions. And most of them were children.

So, you have to do what the police tell you to do? Seems ironic, esp when you're on a protest.

ReputationRep:
    Mass destruction? I feel terribly sorry for the broken phone boxes, windows etc.
    So wait, you're justifying the needless destruction of property yes? Not to mention that the taxpayer will have to foot the bill in the end :rolleyes:

The headquarters of a party destroyed, be it a party you support or not, windows smashed in, shops vandalized and graffitied, and general disorder to boot - I'm sure, the people who suffered these actions are perfectly fine with it however.

I'm all for people holding protests etc, but just as innocent students get hurt, so to do innocent bystanders from the actions (of a minority) of students who wish to engage in such mindless voilence.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What planned route? I was never informed of any planned route.

The police blocked any further marching at Parliament Square

I did take water and food, and wore lots of warm clothing (and even then I was still freezing!), but that isn't the point.

Being denied access to warm shelter, medical services, food and water, sanitary toilet facilities is inhumane.

Illegal to march a protest on public land?
    The march was planned.

It was not allowed to go parliament square.

Protesters went to parliament square

Small groups of protesters were allowed to leave. In this case Im far more inclined to believe the government and police than a few protesters, when it comes to this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Barely anyone showed up to that protest. The people that did show up spent so much time running from police there was no time for them to get violent
    The number of people that showed up to the '3rd' protest (30th Nov) was comparable to the amount that showed at the '2nd' protest (24th Nov).

Yet on the 24th Nov the proteters where trapped and kettled and you had the whole police van fiasco. Whereas on the 30th Nov they manage to avoid being kettled and their was no violence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Twas just one phone box. And Topshop's window, shame it wasn't Topman...
    Just?

That is ridiculously vacuous - there was MUCH MORE damage than that done, even more if you include the unreported damage. Defacing the statues alone, adds to the overtly simple list you've stated above :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sete)
    The number of people that showed up to the '3rd' protest (30th Nov) was comparable to the amount that showed at the '2nd' protest (24th Nov).

Yet on the 24th Nov the proteters where trapped and kettled and you had the whole police van fiasco. Whereas on the 30th Nov they manage to avoid being kettled and their was no violence.
    Got a source on the numbers? Heard it was only a few hundred.

Anyway as I said before most of the day was spent running from police across London as opposed to a slow march/rally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    So wait, you're justifying the needless destruction of property yes? Not to mention that the taxpayer will have to foot the bill in the end :rolleyes:

The headquarters of a party destroyed, be it a party you support or not, windows smashed in, shops vandalized and graffitied, and general disorder to boot - I'm sure, the people who suffered these actions are perfectly fine with it however.

I'm all for people holding protests etc, but just as innocent students get hurt, so to do innocent bystanders from the actions (of a minority) of students who wish to engage in such mindless voilence.
    I do not condone any sort of violence and yes the taxpayer foots the bill. The taxpayer is also footing the bill for a police force who attack innocent people and leave them fighting for their life. Priorities anyone?

It does seem to me that a broken telephone box is somehow lower down the scale of priorities than a person with a head cracked open by a truncheon.

I have not heard of a shop being vandalized. AFAIK it was Millbank and things within Parliament Square (graffiti, phone boxes, windows etc).

ReputationRep:
    A sandwich is hardly going to last you 9 hours, esp not in freezing conditions. And most of them were children.

So, you have to do what the police tell you to do? Seems ironic, esp when you're on a protest.
    Where did 9 hours come from? I don't believe people were kettled with no access to food or water for 9 hours.

Even so, yes a sandwich would last anyone 9 hours. You'd be hungry but it's not going to do you any harm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    Just?

That is ridiculously vacuous - there was MUCH MORE damage than that done, even more if you include the unreported damage. Defacing the statues alone, adds to the overtly simple list you've stated above :rolleyes:
    What, that racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Small groups of protesters were allowed to leave. In this case Im far more inclined to believe the government and police than a few protesters, when it comes to this
    No vested interests there.

If you were there, you could have seen what really happened. It is a very different tale than what is being touted in popular media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Good luck with that. We have the most liberal police when it comes to riots. Look at Greece and FRance where they use tear gas and water cannon.
    And look at the scale of the riots and ensuing violence in Greece and France compared to here.

Is it any surprise that when police use more violent and aggressive tactics, the protesters retaliate with more violence?

Your post is an argument for more liberal police measures - not against them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Where did 9 hours come from? I don't believe people were kettled with no access to food or water for 9 hours.

Even so, yes a sandwich would last anyone 9 hours. You'd be hungry but it's not going to do you any harm...
    Kettling was in place from the early afternoon and many were unable to escape until 11pm, midnight or later.

I think the point is that to not eat for 9 hours would not be regarded as reasonable to most people, especially when you are in cold conditions.

It is easy to say that the conditions people were trapped in were not a big deal if you have not had to experience them yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)

Likewise ****ting your pants ain't gonna do you any harm.

ReputationRep:
    Likewise ****ting your pants ain't gonna do you any harm.
    This. Ha.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No vested interests there.

If you were there, you could have seen what really happened. It is a very different tale than what is being touted in popular media.
    I'd say protesters have a much much more vested interest why would I believe a few protesters when I have read and heard accounts from the government/police/3 different newspapers/a journalist who was there. All of which say people were allowed to leave.

I even saw protesters on TV bleeting about tear gas being used. Now why would I believe anything from idiots that cannot tell the difference between being tear gassed and a flare that was thrown by OTHER protesters.

ReputationRep:
    K.
    What?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.