Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Oh.

Just me then. Words words words. The simple differences between the French trouver, the Occitan/Catalan trobar, and the Italian trovare...when compared to the Portuguese and Spanish achar and hallar. :coma: Yes, I'm this much of a language nerd.
    No, no; I know what you mean, I just thought that it was a strange way of describing it aha!

ReputationRep:
    A2 spanish- 2 boys (including me :P) a lot of girls

ReputationRep:
    Last year i was the only boy in my german class.

ReputationRep:
    Our class this year has 4 girls and 3 boys (me being one of the three). It's pretty even this year, but last year we had 3 boys and 11 girls, not that that's a bad thing!! I'm studying French and German (Ab initio) next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mespannerhanz)
    Do any boys here do a language at A level? which one? and are there many boys in your class?
    it seems that most people who do language a levels are female. my spanish a level class is 21 girls and 0 boys! not that i'm complaining! i'm just wondering if there are many boys out there who do language a levels?
    Closet lesbian. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    There were only 4 boys out of 20 students in my AS French and that dropped to 3 by A2 year. Having said that I'm now studying Chinese and I'm in a class of mainly boys. A fair few of the boys are learning Chinese for career related reasons, French doesn't hold the same sort of prospects so perhaps this is the reason for a lack of boys studying French/similar languages.

ReputationRep:
    My A2 German class has 2 boys, (one of them me ) and about 7 girls I think. Not as bad as French at our school though, only 2 people chose it for AS! I know the amount of people taking a foreign language is dropping, but considering about 100 people did French GCSE, having only 2 take it for AS is pretty shocking... Not a lot schools can do though, most people just have no interest in learning it, both girls and boys!

ReputationRep:
    A2 French was 10 people, 5 boys, 5 girls.
    A2 German is 3 people, 2 boys, 1 girl. Last year AS was 3 boys, 1 girl (although one girl dropped it and the one doing it this year is a retaker... the year above was 4 girls, the year below is 3 girls).

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying A-level french and, other than me, there are 15 boys in my class. There are only 8 girls.

ReputationRep:
    I think the same kind of reasons that make maths degrees heavily male dominated make language degrees disproportionately female.

I don't really think it has much to do with either side being "better" at one of the two things. If you look at A level results from 2010 (somewhere in the times), girls are better at almost all subjects anyway. I think the main difference is that boys wouldn't be interested in doing a language, while girls would often prefer not to do subjects like maths or science. I'm sure a certain element of "language isn't cool" or "maths is geeky" goes through boys and girls respectively and that skill in either isn't that big a determinant.

ReputationRep:
    I do A-Level German, and out of eight people, five are boys.

ReputationRep:
    In my German class there's one boy out of seven. I feel kind of bad, because we all gang up on him. He's easily the worst in the class. Then in French there are three boys out of fifteen in total, and they're all pretty shocking. I suppose because it's not a very academic school, lots of them don't do much work?

ReputationRep:
    What I find is that women generally have better linguistic skills, but when there are male linguists they tend to be very, very, very good. There's about 6 boys and 15 girls who do French, including me, but there are three of us who are ages and ages ahead of the girls.

ReputationRep:
    A Level French. About 7 boys and 16 girls in my class, although there is another group of French students too. In my French speaking class there's 6 girls and I'm the only boy. Not sure what the Spanish and German split is.

ReputationRep:
    I study Japanese as an elective module, and it's rather evenly split. Then again, the teacher is exceptionally good at what she does

ReputationRep:
    I think there are some studies that suggest that girls tend to work more consistently, whereas boys often work in shorter bursts (hence why coursework tends to favour girls). As a boy who studies humanities, sciences and languages, languages definitely require the most consistent work - you can't really memorise 100 pages of vocab in the weeks before the exam. Ridiculous generalisation but maybe there's some link here.

When I went to do an interview at Oxford for Japanese, the undergraduates said the course consistently gets far more female applicants than males. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hicky)
    What I find is that women generally have better linguistic skills, but when there are male linguists they tend to be very, very, very good. There's about 6 boys and 15 girls who do French, including me, but there are three of us who are ages and ages ahead of the girls.
    Yeah, I think that's true. If you looked at my GCSE class results, I'd bet that the girls average grade was higher, but the individuals that did very well, were boys.

ReputationRep:
    I do Spanish and I'm a boy. In our class it's quite evenly balanced, near enough half and half, if not a tad more girls than boys.

ReputationRep:
    In my German class last year there were 7 boys and 3 girls, and I'm now the only girl left in the class.

ReputationRep:
    I did A Level Chinese last year, though I was the only one in my school doing it.... and I go to an all-boy's

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.