Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting quoted £3000+ everywhere... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spasmos)
    That must have been fully comp? Maybe just opt for third party fire and theft, as claiming on fully comp in your first couple years of driving will seriously jack it up, so it probably wouldn't even be an option... if that makes sense??

Use compare websites - most can provide cheaper deals then going direct to the insurance company as they buy in bulk and drop the price. Obviously check these quotes compared to going direct to the insurers and with other comparison websites (they all have different details).

Best insurance companies for young people atm are Admiral and Elephant.

Does your dad have motoring convictions or points? If so, take him off and add your mum or another older female as a named driver. In fact, do that anyway.
    I tried comparethemarket initially and got quotes ranging from £4300 to £10,000+. In some cases fully comp was actually cheaper than third party (for some reason?), but not by much.

Will try Admiral and Elephant though. Think I tried Admiral online before and they gave me a really high quote so will ring instead. My dad has no convictions / points and my mum doesn't drive so...

Cheers for the the replies all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chestercityfan)
    Pass Plus barely makes any difference. Try looking on gocompare or something.

Dont know what planet your from.. I saved over £400 when i took the passplus, and we had a local scheme whereby they would write me a £70 cheque to cover some of the £140 cost to make me a better driver (lol)

You just have to accept the fact that your insurance is going to be sky high, and its not always cheaper adding somebody to your policy - it used to be, but i think just about every company has cottoned on to it.. Admiral wants an extra £80 for adding one of my parents with a lifetime of no claims.

My insurance on a C2 VTS is £780ish with 2yrs NCB. Just think, after your first year your premium pretty much drops by like 50%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)

Why would it matter though? For example, I am first driver and owner of my car. However, I am named as a second driver on my fathers car, whom, in turn is insured as a main driver on 2 of the cars in the house, with them both being company cars. If, I was driving company car A and got pulled over then my father would still have access to another car. This is not in any way insurance fraud. It is merely the way the real World works.
    Its known by insurers as fronting.. and its as good as driving around with no insurance.

unless you declare yourself as the main driver (which you havnt by being 2nd).

If you have an accident, and they see your dad is the main driver they will be sniffing round your policy quicker than anything you know of. My friend wrote off his parents merc doing the same thing as you, and wasnt covered.

No wonder my premiums are so high with people who arent even from planet Earth driving around...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=jt92;28907103]I'm 18 and passed my test last week, been ringing up all the usual names (Churchill, Direct Line, Tesco, Endsleigh). Direct Line won't even give me a quote as it's going to cost more than £3000 and Endsleigh quoted me £9000. :eek: It's only a 1.2 fiesta and some of my friends seem to be getting about £1500/£1800 with the same companies.

This is with my dad (highest possible no claims) as an additional driver and without pass plus. Is there anything else I can do to get it down cheaper? Don't want to pay any more than £2000 tbh.

Thanks [/QUOTE

Hi,

erm dunno if this helps but go on diamond car insurance, if your a guy put your mum as the first driver,and if your a girl yourself and you can get it for about #1050 pounds, it's worth a try. my sister was getting high quotes went on diamond and she got hers for 1ooo pounds with everything included fully comp, she got a 2004 mitsubishi colt. hope this helps
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasonUK)
    Its known by insurers as fronting.. and its as good as driving around with no insurance.

unless you declare yourself as the main driver (which you havnt by being 2nd).

If you have an accident, and they see your dad is the main driver they will be sniffing round your policy quicker than anything you know of. My friend wrote off his parents merc doing the same thing as you, and wasnt covered.

No wonder my premiums are so high with people who arent even from planet Earth driving around...
    Obviously, you didn't read all my posts and instead blindly quoted me. As I have stated earlier in this thread that I am the main driver of my car, the owner and the only driver on my insurance policy.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried Privilege? In May 2008 it was the cheapest for my car after trying numerous comparison websites and individual car insurance companies. Then when I passed in August 2009 the insurance stayed at the same price.

Also I found coverbox. I think there are certain conditions like not driving between 11pm-6am and installing a tracker though.

ReputationRep:
    Go and have a word with a good local broker - not Swinton's as apparently there are sometimes issues with them. Brokers often have access to insurers that do not use comparison sites e.g. some of the Lloyds syndicates.

Be honest about who the car belongs to, whose name it is registered in and who is the main driver. Do not even think about putting down a parent as the main driver - insurers are very wise to this and you will end up with no quotes at all.

Ask the broker to get quotes for F/C and TPF&T. Also ask which cars are the lowest groups - a 1.2 fiesta is not so you might have to think about selling it and getting a lower group car. Get them to get quotes with your mum and dad on as additional drivers and with just one parent - sometimes bigger discounts are given for older women on the policy because insurers perceive them as a better risk.

Remember that insurance depends on age, sex of driver (young males pay more than females of same age because insurers loss experience shows they are a bigger risk), postcode, occupation etc.

At the end of the day the cost is what the cost is - any of your friends who are using vehicles on a fronted basis are heading for trouble. In the event of an accident insurers can and do make extensive enquiries - if there is fronting involved they can cancel the policy from inception and pursue the policyholder for any costs that they may pay to third parties. This also means that going forwards it will be difficult to get all sorts of insurance because there is a cancelled policy on record and this must be disclosed - insurers will either refuse cover or heavily load the premiums. Just not worth the risk - if you can't afford to pay the premiums then you will just have to wait a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jt92)
    I'm 18 and passed my test last week, been ringing up all the usual names (Churchill, Direct Line, Tesco, Endsleigh). Direct Line won't even give me a quote as it's going to cost more than £3000 and Endsleigh quoted me £9000. :eek: It's only a 1.2 fiesta and some of my friends seem to be getting about £1500/£1800 with the same companies.

This is with my dad (highest possible no claims) as an additional driver and without pass plus. Is there anything else I can do to get it down cheaper? Don't want to pay any more than £2000 tbh.

Thanks
    If you're a safe driver it's unfair, but this is why it's high:
    http://www.admiral.com/pressReleases...ivers-revealed

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the weather is playing a part in these excessive insurance costs, since it's lethal out there.. especially for new drivers. You may think it's a silly reason but think about it for a second and you'll realise I'm not talking crap.

Wait for the weather to clear up a bit and the prices should drop.

ReputationRep:
    Good theory - but unfortunately incorrect. Young driver quotes are the rates they are because of the details contained within the article quoted - they have the most claims because they are inexperienced.

If insurers take into account any claims they are hit for during the bad weather immediately, instead of waiting until they set the rates for their motor underwriting account (which is usually done annually) rates will rise.

I suspect that rates will continue to rise anyway because insurers are being hit by the low returns on investment - if the interest rates go up, their investment return will go up, so they will need less in premiums to make enough to fund claims in simple terms. You also have to take into account reinsurance rates (usually set in January), staff costs, fraudulent claims, etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    The main contributing factor to high premiums now is because of the no win no fee services if your in an accident, some insurance companies say this is adding upto 25% to a premium because people are claim £1500 for small things like whiplash.. People dont realise that if noone claimed they would proablly be saving money in the long haul..

ReputationRep:
    insurance fronting is one of the easiest crimes for insurance investigators to detect. Your a fool if you actually believe you can get away with it these days. You have a moderate to big claim accident and they WILL find out and void your cover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jt92)
    I'm 18 and passed my test last week, been ringing up all the usual names (Churchill, Direct Line, Tesco, Endsleigh). Direct Line won't even give me a quote as it's going to cost more than £3000 and Endsleigh quoted me £9000. :eek: It's only a 1.2 fiesta and some of my friends seem to be getting about £1500/£1800 with the same companies.

Thanks
    Add an excess of £1200 or whatever their highest is. That should reduce the quote by a grand. at least.

-
    And get a smaller engined car.

ReputationRep:
    get your dad to insure it under his name and put you down as a named driver. should decrease price considerably.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.