Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nerds are people who are clever, rather obsessive about Sci Fi & other collectables, but rather introverted and social outcasts.

Geeks are people who are clever, obsessive about Sci Fi, but not completely introverted. Different but rather social too.

Dorks are those who are not clever, very introverted, but love Sci Fi. Like nerds they're also social outcasts.

ReputationRep:
    It is the name of some Willy Wonka sweets 90s!

ReputationRep:
    What does "nerd" mean to you?
    Being bullied at school for being smart. BUT WHO'S LAUGHING NOW TOM?? WHOS LAUGHING NOW!!!!!

Prick.

ReputationRep:
    Nerd means to me that one day this guy will be a millionaire, befriend him

ReputationRep:

Personally, I think nerds that subvert stereotypes are ridiculously awesome. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherlock.H)

Personally, I think nerds that subvert stereotypes are ridiculously awesome. :awesome:
    Hey I've seen that before. WikiHow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    Hey I've seen that before. WikiHow?
    Nope. Google images.

ReputationRep:
    watch the big bang theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yousif92)
    Being bullied at school for being smart. BUT WHO'S LAUGHING NOW TOM?? WHOS LAUGHING NOW!!!!!

Prick.
    This made me crack up! Kudos

ReputationRep:
    For me it has nothing to do with looks.
    Basically, it's someone who has good academic skills but feels insecure in social situations. Which is not bad. It's just a disadvantage in many academic/professional fields...

ReputationRep:
    Nerd is an imaginary concept, and just another personality type.

ReputationRep:
    Intellectual Badass

ReputationRep:
    Ewan hit the nail almost on the head. Its not necessarily Sci Fi. It can be obsessing about anything ie: you can get english geeks, computer geeks etc... I like to think of myself as a computer geek, rather than nerd. Id say a lot of people here are geeks as well. I have known one nerd though. My Sci Fi is limited to movies/Futurama, so the typical male really.

ReputationRep:
    Big thick glasses.
    Big (physically) hairy head.
    Big retarded personality.
    Big teeth.

Or a Napoleon Dynamite doppleganger.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.