Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I haven't had a chance to visit but the modules sound amazing! Have you visited?
    Well, I did a two day trip with my parents during half term to check out Birmingham, Liverpool and Keele, but didn't actually go to any open days, just checked out the surrounding town/city and general campus.
    I like Keele. I had to choose between Keele and Nott Trent as my "back-up" choice, and Keele had a lovely campus, really spacious and green. Nice buildings... just felt friendly.
    Wasn't too impressed with Newcastle-under-Lyme (nearest town) but Stoke isn't too far away so I let that slide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Yeah, don't say that or you'll get RamocitoMorales here banging on about Aberdeen again.
    In b4.

ReputationRep:
    I looked at unis based on the following and picked 5 that excelled at either one of these:
    1)Course
    Considered: ALL unis since I wanted to apply for maths...Then saw that some offered Maths AND Linguistics and went crazzyy: considered Manchester met (safety net), Edinburgh (Too far Away), York (perfect)

2)Reputation/ employability after degree
    unis considered: cambridge (didn't like the looks of it too big?), st. Andrews (too far away), UCL (not fan of londons). Oxford (small, cozy lovely little city). York, uni of the year and top 10 (fine by me)

3)Accomodation and place...(had to be nice...I wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere I'll feel like I'm in prison...)
    unis considered: Bath (****n loved the accomodation...I mean have u seeeeen the pictures????), York (MUCH better than oxford's imhp)

4)Year Abroad/exchange:
    Considered: Lancaster and Leicester (miami uni...ggggg)..but then saw York has one with Columbia and California and that was it

so my 5 choices ended up being:
    1)York (ABB)----> Offer
    2)Oxford (AAA)---->withdrawn/rejection
    3)Leicester (AAB)------>Offer
    4)Nottingham (AAA) (had to fill the 5th space)----->Offer
    5)MMU (BCC I think)---->Offer

I had withdrawn from oxford..the exact same day I got the email to tell me I was rejected...(HA BEAT YA!)
    withdrawn MMU right after York offered me a place.
    Made Leicester my insurance since nottingham wanted AAA and thought it would be stupid to have ur insurance need more than ur firm
    firmed York the second I found out...and danced like this:

Shake yo bootay shake yo bootay

EDIT: It was brought to my attention that the lyrics actually go "shake your GROOVE THING shake your GROOVE THING"..yet I think its safe to say that that doesn't describe my dance at all..so I'm keeping my version. lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, don't say that or you'll get RamocitoMorales here banging on about Aberdeen again.
    Oh god, yeh he pisses me off. Mainly because now I can't say anything good about Aberdeen as I get comments like this.
    I liked it there before him :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I loved it but I honestly think it's too far my main concern is moving up there and the fact that I'm useless in the cold - raynauds disease and at present it's -17
    Well yes that is a bit of a problem then. More than it being too far anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've applied for History and Politics and received offers from all 3 uni's!
    Lancaster - ABB
    Portsmouth - 280 points including a B in history
    Keele - 300 points

I've applied for history and sociology at Aberdeen and Canterbury.
    Aberdeen is out of the window even though I loved it because it's just too far
    And I havent heard from Canterbury yet...

I love them all equally and I have no idea how I'm going to choose a uni...

How did you choose?
    Was it the right choice?

Where they were situated
    Then their course standard/reputation
    Then if I liked the looks of the uni or not
    then the uni as a whole reputation.

Anyone who goes to a uni they dont like, for its reputation is a moron.

ReputationRep:
    1. left almost all revision for my A-levels to the day before the exams
    2. got the dates of my two history exams mixed up, got a D
    3. missed my offer at Durham
    4. got an offer at Newcastle via clearing, on the basis that my grades were good enough, it is both very close to Durham and very far from my parents, and I didn't really care anyway
    5. an old school friend pretty much literally forced me to ring up York and ask for a place on the basis that York is known for being one of the only vaguely prestigious universities to a) take General Studies into account and b) sometimes offer places in clearing
    6. York offered me a place
    7. I went to York

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    Don't say that. I'm starting at Aberdeen in 2011 and I'm from Kent. I'm a little bit daunted but it's a challenge. If you really like it, then you should be willing to take a chance.

I chose Aberdeen because the city is just fantastic, the facilities (I jizzed everywhere when I saw the sports village) are great and it offers a really flexible course. I may be technically going to study Linguistics but I could end up doing pretty much anything. I seriously can't wait for next September to roll around.
    As someone who used to live in Aberdeen, it always totally shocks me whenever someone from outwith the city actually likes it I do miss crepes at Kilaus though, make sure to go there in September!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    As someone who used to live in Aberdeen, it always totally shocks me whenever someone from outwith the city actually likes it I do miss crepes at Kilaus though, make sure to go there in September!
    Really why?
    And I will as that's when term starts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    Really why?
    And I will as that's when term starts
    Cos I hated it and couldn't wait to leave, the same as most people I knew! I loved the people there to bits, but the city itself is grey, boring and really cold. The novelty of the sea nearby wears off quite quickly when you realise it is in fact the North sea and paddling in it is tolerable for about 3 months of the year.

ReputationRep:
    female:male ratio, grade boundaries, prestige, location and cost of accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    Cos I hated it and couldn't wait to leave, the same as most people I knew! I loved the people there to bits, but the city itself is grey, boring and really cold. The novelty of the sea nearby wears off quite quickly when you realise it is in fact the North sea and paddling in it is tolerable for about 3 months of the year.
    Ah, I really love the architecture and I don't mind the cold. I didn't even take the sea into account. Except for the windchill factor

Aberdeen's a lot better off without you.

ReputationRep:
      My networking tutor recommended the university I've got my eyes set on. After going to an open day, I saw its very much "me" and the university is really good for the course Im doing(despite being around the middle in the leagues tables)

I chose Northumbria(Computer networking or Comp sci-applied to both) because I went there(Ive got two conditional offers, but I dont want to go any more as the modules are ****)
      I chose Birmingham city because my tutor recommended it(for doing the Cisco stuff)
      I chose Stafford as they have amazing Cisco stuff, big links to Cisco and what amazed me was that 100% of people who applied to work for Cisco in their industry placement year got a job(probably because of the links) I've applied for Network Computing BSc and Network Computing BEng(same ****, different name bar one module really)

I do have three problems however.
      1. Its in between Manchester and Birmingham ie: it's not a well known student city
      2. The guy/girl ratio is around 7:1 according to unistats
      3. The hospital there keeps getting negative press in the Metro, so as long as I dont get ill, Ill be fine.

ReputationRep:
      It chose me. :jebus:

I loved it but I honestly think it's too far my main concern is moving up there and the fact that I'm useless in the cold - raynauds disease and at present it's -17
        Well at present, it's 5 degree celcius, which is quite warm given the time of year. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think people like you are always going to struggle in life. If you can't even deal with moving out slightly for university, then may God help you with the rest of your life. I'd dread to think how employers would think about your mental strength.

If you honestly 'loved it', then I feel sorry for you. For allowing your weakness to get in the way of ambition. Pity.

ReputationRep:
        I do wonder if Ramcom searches "Aberdeen" into the search bar.
        And if he thinks he's somekind of forest guardian... but for granite?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
        Aberdeen's a lot better off without you.
        There's no need to be rude to someone because they didn't like Aberdeen. I don't take it as a personal offence when people don't like ARU.

There's no need to be rude to someone because they didn't like Aberdeen.
          They were fooling people with their incorrect information. They had to be corrected.

I don't take it as a personal offence when people don't like ARU.
          Nobody likes Anglia Ruskin.

Spoiler:
          Show
          Apart from you. :wink2:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by chrislpp)
          eeny....meeny...miney....
          mow /(mooo :s )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
        Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.