Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The CRB system is utterly ridiculous. A lot of the regulations are equally silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    Because it labels me as a criminal, when in truth my offence was committed in defence of another person beaten up by a group - so i was kind of helping the person out becasue he was an easy target. wost of all, the courts let the group of thugs free due to lack of evdince and instead convicted me! now how do i explain that at an interview?
    Well that's our wonderful justice system! And good on you for defending the person!

I would be honest, you have nothing to hide there with what happened, what you did was a good thing and it seems too often the guilty ones get away with it

ReputationRep:
    This maybe ....but they are on your record no matter if your a good person or not. I agree that the CRB checks need overhauling but this will not happen anytime soon.

Check with your local council and stuff ..they will give you more of a clearer picture.

sorry its not what you wanted to ear matey

ReputationRep:
    Are you being realistic? would a company/school really reject me despite my qualification and experience in comparison to another candidate who has no experience whatsoever?
    Why would a candidate have no experience at all? Lots of candidates will have the same qualification and amount experience, and also not have a criminal record.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    Well that's our wonderful justice system! And good on you for defending the person!

I would be honest, you have nothing to hide there with what happened, what you did was a good thing and it seems too often the guilty ones get away with it
    thank you - and after this i lost all faith (not that i had any in the first place) in the 'justice' system, although i dont regret it, hopefully it clearly taught them a lesson they stay well away from that person now. shall i just be upfron and honest in all my interviews, what dya think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    Why would a candidate have no experience at all? Lots of candidates will have the same qualification and amount experience, and also not have a criminal record.
    your right, but ther's a good chance of you having the most experience from the lot i.e. the most employable and most valuable to the company in terms of little training and max productivt in shorter time etc. plus i have alot to offer, believe you me its not just about the qualification and i have lots to give in terms of personal qualities. but its a shame if companies will dismiss my application based purely on my criminal record - do you know what i mean

ReputationRep:
    I'm 24, in my final year uni. Convicted Oct 2009, sentence complete (fine, prob and CS). What dya think?
    I dunno, it's quite recent, it could have an effect. However, if you talk to a few prople in the right places, be completely honest about the conviction and the circumstances surrounding it you should probably still have a chance with the right character references. I hope you manage it though mate

ReputationRep:
    your right, but ther's a good chance of you having the most experience from the lot i.e. the most employable and most valuable to the company in terms of little training and max productivt in shorter time etc. plus i have alot to offer, believe you me its not just about the qualification and i have lots to give in terms of personal qualities. but its a shame if companies will dismiss my application based purely on my criminal record - do you know what i mean
    Yes I do. It isn't a definite thing that they would cast you aside though. If they are v. impressed with your experience etc, I would like to think that they would call you to interview (and maybe ask about the offence). Not very fair that teachers get these checks, but could be in a classroom with a pupil that has a criminal record!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    Yes I do. It isn't a definite thing that they would cast you aside though. If they are v. impressed with your experience etc, I would like to think that they would call you to interview (and maybe ask about the offence). Not very fair that teachers get these checks, but could be in a classroom with a pupil that has a criminal record!
    lol good point! i was thinkin bout goin into teaching, so we'l see what happens and im gonna hav ta prepare for a hard time gettin employed. i might even just take myslef abroad if i hav to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    I dunno, it's quite recent, it could have an effect. However, if you talk to a few prople in the right places, be completely honest about the conviction and the circumstances surrounding it you should probably still have a chance with the right character references. I hope you manage it though mate
    thanks hun

ReputationRep:
    The CRB is a stupid scheme, all a check does is see if somebody is convicted, it doesn't mean that they are safe around children.

ReputationRep:
    thank you - and after this i lost all faith (not that i had any in the first place) in the 'justice' system, although i dont regret it, hopefully it clearly taught them a lesson they stay well away from that person now. shall i just be upfron and honest in all my interviews, what dya think?
    yes I would be honest.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    its a bit stupid tbh, simply because lots of places don't accept CRBs that can be transferred from other places, they insist on doing it themselves. this means that i currently have almost 5 current CRBs with me, and am still waiting after a 5 week wait for another to start volunteering - if i could have just transferred them over, i could have volunteered 5 times already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    It really does vary. CRB provide 90% of Standard checks with 10 days, and 90% of Enhanced checks within 4 weeks. Typically, mine have taken between a week and a fortnight for Enhanced disclosures.
    Blimey that was fast, my last CRB check took 10 weeks to come through! I've just applied for another one so I'll be interested to see how long this one takes.

aleathiel be prepared for it to take a couple of months, especially with Christmas and New Year coming up, that'll slow it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma t)
    wheres the common sense?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather have a million unnecessary CRB checks, than a child getting kidnapped and killed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Ivy*)
    Blimey that was fast, my last CRB check took 10 weeks to come through! I've just applied for another one so I'll be interested to see how long this one takes.

aleathiel be prepared for it to take a couple of months, especially with Christmas and New Year coming up, that'll slow it down.
    eep ok I'll be prepared! I've been liaising with the school for a couple of weeks now and what they said to start with was I could have a day a week for 6 weeks starting in January but didn't mention the crb would take a while until I handed in the paperwork

I had one with Camp America and unfortunately it was a while ago and I don't have my copy of it anymore (it got water damaged oops) and not recent enough anyway. I can't remember how long that one took but it wasn't over the holidays so will have been quite quick.

ReputationRep:
    I currently have 3 CRBS - one for an organisation I volunteer with, one for my job and one for my uni course. My uni one only took 3 weeks to come through but this was in October.

I dont mind doing CRBS as I have nothing to hide but not all places do them, even though they should. For example, I worked with a nursery recently and a colleague of mine knew that a new member of staff there had been sacked recently from somewhere else for fraud, theft and mistreating the children. However the nursery did no checks on her at all, no references or CRB (not sure it would have shown up anyway, even though she was on bail). She also gave them a false surname. This is why the system needs to be completely overhauled, and the sooner the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    I currently have 3 CRBS - one for an organisation I volunteer with, one for my job and one for my uni course. My uni one only took 3 weeks to come through but this was in October.

I dont mind doing CRBS as I have nothing to hide but not all places do them, even though they should. For example, I worked with a nursery recently and a colleague of mine knew that a new member of staff there had been sacked recently from somewhere else for fraud, theft and mistreating the children. However the nursery did no checks on her at all, no references or CRB (not sure it would have shown up anyway, even though she was on bail). She also gave them a false surname. This is why the system needs to be completely overhauled, and the sooner the better.
    Hmm, what would you change in this overhaul?

If you've seen the CRB forms introduced in the past few months, you'll realise that you'd need a fake passport, NI number, driver's licence, manage to get on the electoral register under a false name, and be able to have said that you've been registered at the previous addresses you list from the past 10 years, again, under a false name. Thereafter, you'd need a bank account under a false name to be paid into, and then HMRC would need to have false details OK'd before your payments could be set-up, and so forth. If somebody manages to do this, it's not just minor fraud, it's pretty heavy and a lot of effort, and I'm not sure what exactly you'd do about it - the police already investigate cases of fraud; the CRB can't really do much more about that.

If the nursery had run a CRB check, and he'd been convicted of an offence with minors, then it would show up, and they wouldn't employ him. It would also show up the fraud and theft convictions.

So whilst I believe CRB works fine, perhaps there should be a legal requirement to run CRB checks on individuals working for particular types of organisations.

ReputationRep:
    thanks hun
    A few points. You will get on to a course just fine (assuming you are good) as they don't CRB check you until after you've had the offer - at that point they could kick you off. I'm not sure but it might be worth you asking them in interview where you stand or you could end up wasting your time. Or even anonomously calling unis before you apply to check the situation.

I used to work somewhere where we had to conduct CRBs on part time staff. We offered a guy a job, then he came in and told us he had a record for possession of cannabis but also some form of assault - he claimed he had some form of mental problem (bipolar i think). We didn't employ him, it was just too much of a risk. You might be safe, but just imagine what would happen if you were employed and then parents found out - they'd go mad. I'm sorry but I think you'll be lucky to get in to the teaching career with your record.

CRBs are ridiculous - I have about 8. The most ridiculous one to date - I've just finished a 4 week placement from my PGCE, for which they saw my CRB which my uni did. NOW, I'm back doing a week's supply for them (essentially babysitting tbh) and just for this one week they want to do their own CRB!!! So it's Thursday, I'm finishing tomorrow and I've got to take my passport etc in today....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.