Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My bench is abysmal! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jus2sik)
    about the expensive food, you could buy store brand canned food from sainsburys and tesco, can of tuna is about 60p it has 20 grams of protein in it so you could buy 2 to make up your 40 gram protein intake (you probably wont be able to absorb more protein then this because you dont have that much muscle mass to begin with) or corned beef is another good alternative. Also i find it really helps to eat a big amount of protein as your first meal when you wake up on your rest days, that lets your body really absorb alot of it
    How?

ReputationRep:
    if your looking for a good 3 day routine to gain strength 5x5 is tried and tested.

Many different types of this trainging but i would suggest either billy starr's or Madcow's versions. You will probably increase pounage, on average, for 9 weeks. ofcourse the increases in exercises like the bench should be micro i.e 2/2.5kg a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz343)
    Chest/Bi -
    Legs/Shoulders -
    Back/Tri
    Wtf kind of workout is this.

Get on starting strength. Your bench sucks because your workout routine sucks. That's it. Forget all this **** about benching 100 times a week or eating protein in your ass in the mornings. You need a good routine and a good diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanx)
    Wtf kind of workout is this.

Get on starting strength. Your bench sucks because your workout routine sucks. That's it. Forget all this **** about benching 100 times a week or eating protein in your ass in the mornings. You need a good routine and a good diet.
    On the contrary benching multiple times a week is optimal for strength gains, the muscle groups recover quickly and can take an immense amount of work.

ReputationRep:
    I've been stuck on my bench for ages now, can't just about get 3 x 8 on 55kg, which is crap, im 17 and a half and been weight training properly for around 6-7 months, but been stuck on 55kg for like 2 months now.. I train without spotters so can't manage to squeeze out the last few. Another problem is I'm constantly changing my routine recently, try one for a couple of weeks then move to another which might be the problem, but I always include flat and incline in all of them.

Anyone recommend a routine?
    You need to up the weight. Are you doing dumbell flie/press and mixing in diamong press/pushups. What about the other muscles, are you working on your triceps, biceps, shoulder and back muscles? Just benching alone will not get you very far, you need to work on all your muscles no matter how unimportant they may seem to being able to bench heavier weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    On the contrary benching multiple times a week is optimal for strength gains, the muscle groups recover quickly and can take an immense amount of work.
    Yes, I'm sure if he benches 100 times a week, he'll be as strong as Thor in no time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm sure if he benches 100 times a week, he'll be as strong as Thor in no time.
    Yes that is exactly what I meant. Strange isn't it you pos rep a post of mine suggesting multiple bench sessions then post this net warrior drivel? Look if your that weak that you have to post this nonsense don't feel bad, just try to be a lifting hero rather than a net hero.

ReputationRep:
    I've been stuck on my bench for ages now, can't just about get 3 x 8 on 55kg, which is crap, im 17 and a half and been weight training properly for around 6-7 months, but been stuck on 55kg for like 2 months now.. I train without spotters so can't manage to squeeze out the last few. Another problem is I'm constantly changing my routine recently, try one for a couple of weeks then move to another which might be the problem, but I always include flat and incline in all of them.

Hey OP, couldnt be bothered to read all the posts, hope they were beneficial -anyhow I will try and have a crack at giving you a decent response (hopefully).

Firstly, you say you constantly change your routine, that may be problematic - try sticking with 1 routine for at least a month or so and see how it goes.

2. If you want to improve your bench, then tris play a big part - try adding dips into your back/tris workout which will help build mass for your tris and strength.

3. If you can bench 55, then try 60 with a spot and go for 5 or 6 reps = if you really cant get a spotter, try 57/58kg for a few reps (trust me, after a few times, you WILL be able to bench that weight)

4. DIET DIET - as a few people have already mentioned - how good is it? how many calories/protein are you consuming, your 5ft10 and 69kg , perhaps you need to bulk up abit more -

5. try DB bench press aswell, or substitute DB for BB bench press for say 1 week and see how that helps!

6. FINALLY, keep trying - effort, effort and more effort! G Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    Yes that is exactly what I meant. Strange isn't it you pos rep a post of mine suggesting multiple bench sessions then post this net warrior drivel? Look if your that weak that you have to post this nonsense don't feel bad, just try to be a lifting hero rather than a net hero.
    Calm down bro. Didn't realise you'd get so worked up over this.

ReputationRep:
    With weights, your body gets used to the exercise so it's important to vary your work out after a few weeks.. Lift heavier weights to challenge the muscle too. Not stupidly heavy, just a bit more than you are now to challenge the muscle groups.

ReputationRep:
    EAT.

ReputationRep:
    Calm down bro. Didn't realise you'd get so worked up over this.
    I do get amused with your taking an example and go to an extreme beyond what people would call normal, especially such as on the squat thread when you betray your ignorance towards training; BRB Squats are the same as deadlits.

Some guy: Is better to be heavier

Phalanx: BRBs its so good to be 7 million tonnes in weight so your body crushes itself

ReputationRep:

you've been on the same weight for 2 months, oh lawd. take 10% of the weight off and then do your reps, then the next session, add 2.5kg. i do SL's (see below) and bench press is only done 3 times every 2 weeks, adding 2.5kg each session, i started on 20kg (i was shaky) and when it came to doing 45kg.. i was able to hit my reps.. so little by little is the key...

maybe you should go to the StrongLifts 5x5 site and do some reading, and also register on their forum, a lot of guys who know their stuff. they also recommend 5x5, not 8x3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ieuan93)
    With weights, your body gets used to the exercise so it's important to vary your work out after a few weeks.
    Broscience :rolleyes:

Do you have any evidence of this?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.