Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Just the fact I have got four offers so far is shocking enough. I though I would get five rejections after getting my results in August. It just shows that there is a tiny bit of hope at the end of the tunnel

ReputationRep:
    Probably Aberystwyth, on their website my course was 280 pts (BBC), but they gave me an offer of a measly 220 pts! (CCD), so it was my insurance to say the least

ReputationRep:
    I got an unconditional offer for a course I never expressed any interest in, never applied for, never wanted.
    I applied for G100 maths, when that was declined Nottingham INFORMED me I was going to receive an unconditional offer for Computer Science

ReputationRep:
    My cousin applied last year for a course that asked for AAB, which was equal to his predicted grade. So he send off his UCAS and one of the unis were so impressed with his extracurricular activities that they lowered it to BBC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Oh, and at my UCL interview I managed to negotiate down my offer from "AAA-AAB" to just AB :yep:
    How :confused: good work though

ReputationRep:
    I got into my firm despite missing the entry requirements completely They wanted BBC, I got B (general studies) CDDc and my C should have been in the language I wanted to study, but I just got a D in that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnHuman)
    I got an unconditional offer for a course I never expressed any interest in, never applied for, never wanted.
    I applied for G100 maths, when that was declined Nottingham INFORMED me I was going to receive an unconditional offer for Computer Science
    Wow - that's a lot of UCAS.

So you first did architecture, then economics/maths, then maths/economics and maths (with the change of computer science)?

I imagine that's an interesting story... Can it be shared, please?

ReputationRep:
    When Manchester gave me an offer, and then took it away from me a week later. Pah, didn't want to go there anyway...!

ReputationRep:
    Last year i decided to decline my clearing choice (made a bad decision and hasty on results day), everyone, even teachers were telling me "you wont find any offers next year". So i decided to prove them wrong and try my hardest to get at least one!

Now I'm the proud owner of 4 unconditional offers

ReputationRep:
    I got 180 UCAS Points when I needed 260. When I looked at my results, my heart sank because I thought this is it, its over. I was really close to crying in front of my lecturers (How embarrassing!) Then my Eng Lit Lecturer said to check my UCAS Page just in case and see what it says. Then I logged in and it said Congratulations! and I was like W T F! My lecturers were actually hugging me, LOL! It was a day of extreme emotions, but I will never forget it. It was a pure miracle that I got in AND got my accommodation! Now I just have to do justice to this degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    When Manchester gave me an offer, and then took it away from me a week later. Pah, didn't want to go there anyway...!
    Whhhaaattt?? They can do that?? That's like my worst nightmare. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Yup! I was a retake student and despite stating this clearly on my UCAS
    and Personal Statement, Manchester didn't seem to understand.
    They gave me a offer and then rang me up a few days later to ask me if I was retaking. When I said yes they were like 'oh....' and next time I checked track my offer was gone!!!

Oh well, their loss. UCL wanted me. Up yours, Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    My best mate got into Southampton for physics with ABC

ReputationRep:
    I got an awesome offer during clearing ( got mostly rejected by my orginal choices; but thankful though as i later found out i had zero passion for the course and all the passion for my current one).
    So excicted i clicked accept offer without looking closely!

Take second look, its entry for 2011. *ohh shi....* face . But i deserved it lol and very very likely would have accepted even though its deffered.

ReputationRep:
    I had a conditional from my first choice course that I needed a BC to get (prelims were high C and 1% off a C) but I was ill not long before my exams and ended up getting CC. They gave me an unconditional anyway I phoned them up and asked if they hadn't done something wrong and was shocked to learn they hadn't.

ReputationRep:
    Most surprised when University of Bristol offered me Comp Sci without maths at A Level. Still missed it by a grade though . However, I love the Comp Sci course I'm on atm and can't imagine myself having a better time at UoB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeshard)
    I got an offer from sheffield for ABB when my predicted grades are about BCC! It's getting the grades that's the problem now, but i'm chuffed anyway!
    Your PS/reference most be baaanging :cool:

What did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Your PS/reference most be baaanging :cool:

What did you apply to?
    Social Policy and Criminology, I think it may be more that the course isn't too competitive. I was practically shaking as I sent it, such a risk and it took them about a month to get back to me. The agony :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not exactly "shocking", but Southampton Solent gave me a conditional offer requiring 160 UCAS points .

ReputationRep:
    Not shocking but a bit unusual.

During 6th form I had my heart set on Warwick and I applied for two different courses. Despite being predicted AAAA and having lots of stuff on my application from outside of academia, I got rejected from both courses without an interview. My 3 other choices made me an offer, including Lancaster for AAB.
    I withdrew my application for the year due to the Warwick rejections and took a gap year. In the end I got ABB and knew that Warwick was definitely out but applied again anyway. As you would expect they rejected me, however what took me by surprise was that Lancaster made me an unconditional offer despite me rejecting them the year before AND failing to even meet their offer from the year before.

The next surprising thing happened a couple of days later when I got a hand written letter from the head of admissions congratulating me on my offer and saying that it was one of the bravest applications he had seen for a long time. The reason he thought it was brave, my personal statement was, to quote everybody that had given me feedback on it, "bat**** crazy". I still remember the opening line. "I'll be the first to admit that I have always been a pretty awful student."

He said it was the first personal statement he had read that year which didn't stick to the standard personal statement formula.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.