Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK student applying to US FINANCE HELP? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    Because most people will go to in-state unis, where tuition is only £2k.

I'm on a state scholarship scheme so I don't pay anything. But even if I had to pay it would be £1.5k a year.
    wow! which uni do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered looking for courses which offer a year abroad in the US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by why_)
    wow! which uni do you go to?
    Just a small school in Georgia. I'm a senior in high school (year 12) but in a joint enrolled program. Basically means that even though I'm still in HS, I take classes at a uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesH6097)
    Oh and you will have to pay International Student fees which are waaay higher than the already sky high US fees...so about $40, 000 per year for you
    Much more than that. $50,000 is the average for US nationals, unless you go to a state school or community college. I can't imagine international rates would be too appealing.

(Original post by DesignFreak)
    What was said above is right.
    you could ask the university for scholarships available to foreign students?
    The vast majority of US universities do not have financial aid/scholarships/bursaries/etc for foreign students. And, by a vast percent, I mean like 99%. I would be flabbergasted if a state university from Kentucky, of all places, had anything for foreign nationals.

(Original post by JamesH6097)
    Only US citizens would be financially aided....if they even do that...and most US Universities don't
    That's not true. Every university has financial aid and scholarships available for US citizens. All of the top tier schools offer full rides (total cost of tuition, medical insurance, housing, meals, everything).

Only 5 or 6 US schools offer need-blind admissions to internationals. (Which I think is absurd, since the UK and other countries don't reciprocate, but that's another topic for another time.) Stanford and Northwestern (and maybe Brown, I'm not recalling at the moment) will meet financial needs of internationals if accepted, but the fact that the universities have to pay factors HEAVILY into the decision process, making such an accomplishment almost impossible.

Because most people will go to in-state unis, where tuition is only £2k.

I'm on a state scholarship scheme so I don't pay anything. But even if I had to pay it would be £1.5k a year.
    2 times 4 equals 8. So, where is the other half of your pounds? Your math doesn't add up. In-state universities average about $20,000 for tuition (if I had to guess, about 14 thousand pounds), and some can be higher, like the UC system. Although, again, there are plenty of opportunities for scholarships. Community college only costs about $4,000 a year. There is a very, very large difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plymeth)

2 times 4 equals 8. So, where is the other half of your pounds? Your math doesn't add up. In-state universities average about $20,000 for tuition (if I had to guess, about 14 thousand pounds), and some can be higher, like the UC system. Although, again, there are plenty of opportunities for scholarships. Community college only costs about $4,000 a year. There is a very, very large difference.
    Most kids aren't going to HYPS. Most kids aren't going to the top UC's. Most kids aren't going to NYU, GW, Gtown and Mich. Most kids aren't going to pricey private liberal arts schools.

Most kids ARE going to in-state public schools.

This is just a random sampling of in-state tuition at state schools:
    Georgia State University = $3,535
    State University New York-Stony Brook= $4,970
    California State University = $4,230
    Montana State University = $6,168
    Indiana State University = $3,757
    Mississipi State University = $5,461
    University of Central Florida = $2,505
    Georgia Southern University= $1,998
    University of South Florida = $5,198
    Virginia Commonwealth University= $4,408

All of that ranges from 1.2k GBP to 3.3k GBP.

Keep in mind, a lot of states offer strong scholarship schemes. For example, in Georgia, any state resident who maintains a 3.0 GPA or above pays no tuition at state schools. Other examples of this include Florida's bright futures, South Carolina, Tennessee Hope, and Kentucky.

Community colleges are closer to $2,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Have you considered looking for courses which offer a year abroad in the US?

yes, Biology at Manchester Met

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Oh must just be Harvard then, I remember hearing it on all the news channels about Harvard funding everyone when the reporters were claiming that everyone was going to go abroad instead of paying the higher UK tuition fees.
    Can we just get something straight here - Harvard doesn't just pay for all your fees.

First of all, if your middle income (i.e. £20k+) you'll have to pay something in fees, as well be expected to recieve a contribution from your parents AND you'll be given a term-time job which will go towards paying your fees.

They have generous aid, but when you are talking about acceptance rates at Harvard of <5% (probably even lower this year), where in comparison, getting into Oxford or Cambridge would be walk in the park in my view (particularly given the other billion things you need to do for US admissions), Harvard is the biggest 'gamble' one can take even with straight A's to say the least.

I had friends who had the usual 2400's (i.e. full marks on SAT) and the 4.0 GPA (i.e. full marks in their school work) and yet were still rejected.

ReputationRep:
    Most kids aren't going to HYPS. Most kids aren't going to the top UC's. Most kids aren't going to NYU, GW, Gtown and Mich. Most kids aren't going to pricey private liberal arts schools.

Most kids ARE going to in-state public schools.

This is just a random sampling of in-state tuition at state schools:
    Georgia State University = $3,535
    State University New York-Stony Brook= $4,970
    California State University = $4,230
    Montana State University = $6,168
    Indiana State University = $3,757
    Mississipi State University = $5,461
    University of Central Florida = $2,505
    Georgia Southern University= $1,998
    University of South Florida = $5,198
    Virginia Commonwealth University= $4,408

All of that ranges from 1.2k GBP to 3.3k GBP.

Keep in mind, a lot of states offer strong scholarship schemes. For example, in Georgia, any state resident who maintains a 3.0 GPA or above pays no tuition at state schools. Other examples of this include Florida's bright futures, South Carolina, Tennessee Hope, and Kentucky.

Community colleges are closer to $2,000.
    Right, well, they key point that you're failing to take into account is that the vast majority of students who have any shred of academic competence will not be attending those universities.

A respectable, top-tier state university is the path that the standard, diligent student will take. These almost universally cost around $20,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plymeth)
    Right, well, they key point that you're failing to take into account is that the vast majority of students who have any shred of academic competence will not be attending those universities.

A respectable, top-tier state university is the path that the standard, diligent student will take. These almost universally cost around $20,000.
    And that is exactly why I answered the question with regards to the average American student. Far more people attend lower tiered universities than they do top tiered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Oh must just be Harvard then, I remember hearing it on all the news channels about Harvard funding everyone when the reporters were claiming that everyone was going to go abroad instead of paying the higher UK tuition fees.
    Yeah think Harvard give anyone a scholarship who earns it as a large amount of students there will be from abroad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by why_)
    Ok, so I emailed NKU, my ideal university in USA, and I asked them about entry requirements and loans, and they replied with

'Students are required to be financially able to afford studies in the US before an I-20 is issued, therefore, while it is possible for you to obtain a loan, you would need to do that independently.'

I come from a poor background. I don't have the money. I thought I would be able to take a loan from the university.

Where do I take a loan from? England? USA?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
    Here is a link to a list of instituitions willing to provide international student loans to students, pick one suitable and start e-mailing them about your situation. http://www.nyu.edu/financial.aid/private-loans.php
    2. your A Levels are irrelevant (not completely) to the US admissions, you would need to register for the ACT/AP/SAT tests as soon as your ready to apply to your chosen uni, then hit the books!
    once you are definite about your decision to move, you then need to apply for your visa and that's when a load of paper work comes through!
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    You could try fullbright scholarships as well.

ReputationRep:
    nice sharing i like this ......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sem193)
    You could try fullbright scholarships as well.
    Post-graduate only; they don't do any thing for undergraduates at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    Post-graduate only; they don't do any thing for undergraduates at all.
    REALLY?? Thanks for telling me.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I went the fullbright website and searched for a while and found these websites:

http://www.edupass.org/finaid/

http://www.fundingusstudy.org/

http://www.iefa.org/

This is the search page for scholarships for the address above. I thought this site was the best.

http://www.iefa.org/search/index.html

ReputationRep:
    keep on sharing,,,,,,,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sem193)
    Ah, I went the fullbright website and searched for a while and found these websites:

http://www.edupass.org/finaid/

http://www.fundingusstudy.org/

http://www.iefa.org/

This is the search page for scholarships for the address above. I thought this site was the best.

http://www.iefa.org/search/index.html
    They're all useless to be honest.

Unless you happen to be an athlete, you won't find any scholarships on the sites - they have loan programmes, but you need a US co-sponsor for them in most cases and even if you don't, the loans themselves charge high-street rates (i.e. you'll have a high interest rate) and need to pay off the loans whilst still at university - though you can decide whether they repayments are interest only, or with compound (either way, you'll have to start paying the money back as soon as you start university).

ReputationRep:
    sorry for that.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    They're all useless to be honest.

Unless you happen to be an athlete, you won't find any scholarships on the sites - they have loan programmes, but you need a US co-sponsor for them in most cases and even if you don't, the loans themselves charge high-street rates (i.e. you'll have a high interest rate) and need to pay off the loans whilst still at university - though you can decide whether they repayments are interest only, or with compound (either way, you'll have to start paying the money back as soon as you start university).
    How can you pay for attending a US university then? I would really like to know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.