Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got a an offer from a top university through the post and it came up as a rejection on track, she phoned them up and they said they'd changed their minds. She was gutted as it was her first choice

ReputationRep:
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    In the end, I changed my mind about course because I realised I want to be an optometrist ... and as LSE don't run an optometry course, I was released and used Clearing to get into ARU.
    Did you apply for like econometrics or anthropology? This is the biggest "change of mind" I've come across.

ReputationRep:
    You turned down the LSE for Anglia Ruskin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krebs)
    Did you apply for like econometrics or anthropology? This is the biggest "change of mind" I've come across.
    I applied for business maths and stats ... and yeah, it was a pretty big change. :lol:

Have you applied/do you go to LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blanche Du Bois)
    You turned down the LSE for Anglia Ruskin?
    More turned down one course for a very different, preferred course ... but yes, I did. Is that so unbelievable?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for business maths and stats ... and yeah, it was a pretty big change. :lol:

Have you applied/do you go to LSE?
    Wow.

Yeah I go to LSE. That is the most random change I have heard of. I didn't even know optometry existed.

Were your friends/teachers surprised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krebs)
    Wow.

Yeah I go to LSE. That is the most random change I have heard of. I didn't even know optometry existed.

Were your friends/teachers surprised?
    It wasn't completely random - I was toying with optometry during my GCSEs, but thought I'd decided against it. Turned out I was very wrong. Yes, everyone was very surprised ... especially my maths teacher. I needed someone to sign a picture to say it was me so I could join the General Optical Council (need to be a member in order to do an optometry degree), and because I'd known him for the longest, I went and asked him - that was an amusing meeting. :lol:

What do you study at LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -kit-kat-)
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've just received an offer from a uni I really wasnt expecting to get into!
    Is it possible that UCAS would have made a mistake, so that it comes up as "Conditional" on track, but actually I dont have an offer at all, or they meant to put "Rejection"?? And if this is the case, what would happen?

hi kit_kat its highly unlike UCAS makes such mistakes if you that concerned and worried that this has happen to you contact UCAS or the university concerned and just double check for your piece of mind,if its bothering u.In my dealings with UCAS over the years i found them to be very efficient in telling applicants when they have received offers or rejections.They must also have a certain procedure involved if that ever happen to a applicant.
    Congrats on the offer kit_kat

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't completely random - I was toying with optometry during my GCSEs, but thought I'd decided against it. Turned out I was very wrong. Yes, everyone was very surprised ... especially my maths teacher. I needed someone to sign a picture to say it was me so I could join the General Optical Council (need to be a member in order to do an optometry degree), and because I'd known him for the longest, I went and asked him - that was an amusing meeting. :lol:

What do you study at LSE?

Well I guess it's not that bad, if you were considering it at GCSE.

I study management

ReputationRep:
    i was incredibly shocked when i got an offer from Durham, as i knew loads of people with better grades than me who got rejected, so I initially did toy with the idea that it was an mistake!

But i'm sure its not a mistake, they're very very rare i think also I was under the impression that if a uni makes an offer and you accept it, they are legally bound to that agreement? I suppose it would depend whether the mistake was within the uni itself or Ucas's fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    I know someone who got a an offer from a top university through the post and it came up as a rejection on track, she phoned them up and they said they'd changed their minds. She was gutted as it was her first choice
    (Original post by Alt__x)
    My friend's brother's UCAS said he had an offer from Edinburgh, he accepted it, rejected the others, then found out he hadn't got into edinburgh. Luckily, he managed to negotiate with Glasgow.
    They both should have got places as some kind of condolence IMO. They shouldn't just be allowed to change their minds or offer a place on Track and then retract it. I hate UCAS. *scowl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktiniatros)
    i have gotten an unconditional offer from bristol for vet science d100.. but haven't been invited for interview.. does this mean its a mistake?
    Mistakes are incredibly rare. I'm guessing you're an international student? It's entirely possible that they don't interview international applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Mistakes are incredibly rare. I'm guessing you're an international student? It's entirely possible that they don't interview international applicants.
    the thing is I'm not international.. I'm EU.. i ve just graduated from another uk university and i am on my gap year but never had an interview at bristol...so I'm quite concerned

ReputationRep:
    the thing is I'm not international.. I'm EU.. i ve just graduated from another uk university and i am on my gap year but never had an interview at bristol...so I'm quite concerned
    By "international" I really mean, are you actually in the UK at the moment? Sorry, I wrote that in a slightly misleading way.

ReputationRep:
    yes i am in the uk.. I graduated in july in biology , which i also studied in the Uk.. and now I'm on a gap year in the Uk working at a vet practise...i haven't found anyone else who's gotten into vet med without interview.. but on this years thread for graduates i have also not found any graduates with interviews in bristol... and the thing is bristol is my favourite choice and i want to accept it.. but at the same time i don't wanna lose my other choices if its a mistake.. its all very strange to be honest! have u ever heard of anyone getting into a vet or med degree without interview?

ReputationRep:
    UCAS won't make a mistake, the uni entering the wrong info isn't at all unheard of though. Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    yes i am in the uk.. I graduated in july in biology , which i also studied in the Uk.. and now I'm on a gap year in the Uk working at a vet practise...i haven't found anyone else who's gotten into vet med without interview.. but on this years thread for graduates i have also not found any graduates with interviews in bristol... and the thing is bristol is my favourite choice and i want to accept it.. but at the same time i don't wanna lose my other choices if its a mistake.. its all very strange to be honest! have u ever heard of anyone getting into a vet or med degree without interview?
    I haven't, but then I'm not really familiar with med/vet, or postgrad. I'm just going on the basis that mistakes are very rare, and if you weren't in the UK that would certainly explain being given an offer without an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    UCAS won't make a mistake, the uni entering the wrong info isn't at all unheard of though. Congratulations!
    are u positive? i haven't received the actual letter from bristol.. but i do have a AS3 letter from ucas saying i have an unconditional offer and it does have my name on it.. its just that bristol haven't contacted me at all.

maybe bristol vet school doesn't interview graduates?

ReputationRep:
    i really do hope its not a mistake.. it would be the cruelest thing ever....!!!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.