Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Square Enix new- Final Fantasy vs XIII, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy Agito XIII Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    FFXIII ending was just...:eek:
    Wasn't a massive fan of Lightning...Fang :drool:

I don't know how I'm supposed to afford a PS3 and a PSP for these games! Versus looks soooooooo good
    Student loans. :yep: It's how I afforded all my consoles, bar the Wii, which I paid for with wages. :love:

I will finish XIII once I get my PS3 in this god damn country. Just got to wait til the new year.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot wait till FFvs13 comes out, I really liked FF13 visually, story wise wasnt the best but I adore the CGI, the designs, everything about it, it is one of the most beautiful games I've played.

Although the very last scene of Guns of the Patriots is as equally as beautiful because it has depth, sadly I feel FF13 is just really good to look at rather than moving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    What? They have released 6 so far lol And another is due out next year for the 3-DS. Whilst KH is amazing, DS games are just :facepalm2:
    Sorry, i forget i'm the only one that doesn't count handhelds as consoles.

That trailer has been around since KH2 , is there any new information about an actual release?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excandersham)

That trailer has been around since KH2 , is there any new information about an actual release?
    Apparently the team is too busy with other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    That's not a KH3 trailer, it was the teaser for Birth By Sleep which was released here in September. If you know the plot and secret ending of BBS, it points towards the Kingdom Hearts 3DS game, which should finally be followed by KH3.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Wolfos hit the nail on the head there. That isn't a KH3 trailer. It was a teaser to the prequel KH PSP game "Birth By Sleep" which got released in the US and Europe on September 10, 2010.

http://uk.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/kingd...lt%3Btitle%3B0
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfos)
    That's not a KH3 trailer, it was the teaser for Birth By Sleep which was released here in September. If you know the plot and secret ending of BBS, it points towards the Kingdom Hearts 3DS game, which should finally be followed by KH3.

(Original post by DaAlchemist)
    Yeah, Wolfos hit the nail on the head there. That isn't a KH3 trailer. It was a teaser to the prequel KH PSP game "Birth By Sleep" which got released in the US and Europe on September 10, 2010.

http://uk.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/kingd...lt%3Btitle%3B0
    Ah I see :beard: my error, I shall sort this out. Thanks for the correction.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excandersham)

From my original comment to you, I obviously do not count handhelds as consoles either. However I think the PSP is quite alright, certainly Crisis Core was amazing on there.

No news so far regarding KH3 though, Square Enix is running like 6 major games in production.

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Being an admirer of the KH series myself, I'm wondering when KH3 will grace the current-gen consoles.

I remember there was an interview with Tetsuya Nomura a couple months back. I'm sure he said KH3 isn't being planned for release before 2012, which would be understandable given the amount of projects they are working on. I just can't remember where I saw it.

EDIT: and found it: - http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1123945p1.html

I do wish Square Enix would take the focus off of porting Kingdom Hearts to handhelds and give us what we want already It's interesting that their primary focus with such a game is being shifted from consoles to handhelds. They're making another for the 3DS but still no word on a proper sequel.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaAlchemist)
    No problem. Being an admirer of the KH series myself, I'm wondering when KH3 will grace the current-gen consoles.

I remember there was an interview with Tetsuya Nomura a couple months back. I'm sure he said KH3 isn't being planned for release before 2012, which would be understandable given the amount of projects they are working on. I just can't remember where I saw it.

EDIT: and found it: - http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1123945p1.html

I do wish Square Enix would take the focus off of porting Kingdom Hearts to handhelds and give us what we want already It's interesting that their primary focus with such a game is being shifted from consoles to handhelds. They're making another for the 3DS but still no word on a proper sequel.
    I know, I have no idea why Enix suddenly loves the DS, I can understand the PSP because it is a nice console handheld and they do have a long standing rep with Playstation. But the true fans and the ones that make the game famous, are waiting for it on the next-gen consoles.

I remember the first time I saw KH, the graphics were like :shock: I miss KH I can't wait for this KH3 then

PS: Is your username a reference to Fullmetal Alchemist by any chance ?

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite understand the how people are so hyped up about versus 13. I mean, there is almost no info on it, just a couple of (admittedly good-looking) trailers. It could be good, bad or indifferent and it won't come out until 2012. I'm always puzzled by how quick people are to assert that this game will be 10x better than FF13.

ReputationRep:
    I know, I have no idea why Enix suddenly loves the DS, I can understand the PSP because it is a nice console handheld and they do have a long standing rep with Playstation.
    Lolwut? You're actually saying that the PSP is better than the DS? You crazy, foo'? The only thing the PSP has got going for it is its graphics capabilities. Besides, KH has been on Nintendo consoles since the GBA. I think the only console not to have a Squeenix game on it is the N64. They have a far longer standing with Nintendo than they do with Sony. On top of the fact that Squeenix seem no longer to feel that the playstation is its console of choice for its main series either, having shared it with both PCs and the 360.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Lolwut? You're actually saying that the PSP is better than the DS? You crazy, foo'? The only thing the PSP has got going for it is its graphics capabilities. Besides, KH has been on Nintendo consoles since the GBA. I think the only console not to have a Squeenix game on it is the N64. They have a far longer standing with Nintendo than they do with Sony. On top of the fact that Squeenix seem no longer to feel that the playstation is its console of choice for its main series either, having shared it with both PCs and the 360.
    Oh no, I do not think the PSP is a better console however their more serious titles have been released on PSP with the likes of Crisis Core and Dissidia. I know they have had more titles with Nintendo than Playstation however their biggest sales and largest fan base comes from their games based on PS1 and PS2 ranging from FFVI to FFXII. It is undeniable that Square Enix has had its majority success with Final Fantasy on the Playstation foo'! One merely has to look at the sales figure and the popularity poles. I mean look that that thread I did before, FFVII followed by FFX and FFVIII stand at the top as are Squares largest grossing and most popular games. They undoubtably have a great tie with Playstation because the majority of fans who had a PS1 and PS2 and had all the previous FFVI to FFXII will have a PS3. It is simple reasoning friend.

Why do you think FFvsXIII is PS3 exclusive. It is for the loyal fans who stayed with Square Enix throughout their best years.

:fyi: Their PC games have flopped and the 360 game is to get a new fanbase in the Microsoft sector which is huge. It is economic and public strategy, nothing more. I have both consoles so its all good however the Blue-Ray FFXIII did look and play soo much better :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I want a PS3 ...I haven't even finished KH yet.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, I do not think the PSP is a better console however their more serious titles have been released on PSP with the likes of Crisis Core and Dissidia. I know they have had more titles with Nintendo than Playstation however their biggest sales and largest fan base comes from their games based on PS1 and PS2 ranging from FFVI to FFXII. It is undeniable that Square Enix has had its majority success with Final Fantasy on the Playstation foo'! One merely has to look at the sales figure and the popularity poles. I mean look that that thread I did before, FFVII followed by FFX and FFVIII stand at the top as are Squares largest grossing and most popular games. They undoubtably have a great tie with Playstation because the majority of fans who had a PS1 and PS2 and had all the previous FFVI to FFXII will have a PS3. It is simple reasoning friend.
    I would tend to argue against that interpretation. Most people haven't played the pre-Playstation era games, so of course most of them are going to choose FFVII onwards. However, those who have played the earlier games tend to prefer FFVI to VII. VII is often called the favourite, but the majority of fans often preface that with "but it was also the first one I played...", which is quite a telling remark.

To get an accurate result, you'd have to analyse only the opinions of players who've played all the games. Hell, for a lot of gamers VII is the only one they ever bothered to play.

On top of that there's social factors, like the playstation and N64 made gaming more accessible to the populace, so of course it's going to sell better. The playstation effectively opened gaming to the casual market.

Squeenix have put their most popular series in Japan on Nintendo consoles: Dragon Quest. It's more popular than FF in Japan and it's a very serious game series. The sequel to FFIV was released on Wiiware and then ported to mobiles, which also have a prequel to FFVII. KH: Chain of Memories and KH: 358/2 Days are on Nintendo consoles, are you really saying those aren't serious games? Then of course there's The World Ends With You, which arrived on the DS.

RPGamers, such as those that form the core fan base of FF, go generally where the games go. If that's Sony, it's Sony. If Nintendo, it's Nintendo. They're generally not as beholden to console ties as other gamers, though of course they will have a favourite.

Why do you think FFvsXIII is PS3 exclusive. It is for the loyal fans who stayed with Square Enix throughout their best years.
    It's getting ported for an Ultimate Collection being released in Japan for the 360.

:fyi: Their PC games have flopped and the 360 game is to get a new fanbase in the Microsoft sector which is huge. It is economic and public strategy, nothing more. I have both consoles so its all good however the Blue-Ray FFXIII did look and play soo much better :yep:
    FFXI didn't flop. It was still going until the release of FFXIV, which hasn't flopped yet. Considering that all the PSX games were ported to PCs as well, that new fanbase isn't as huge as you'd think.

I do agree on the last point, though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I would tend to argue against that interpretation. Most people haven't played the pre-Playstation era games, so of course most of them are going to choose FFVII onwards. However, those who have played the earlier games tend to prefer FFVI to VII. VII is often called the favourite, but the majority of fans often preface that with "but it was also the first one I played...", which is quite a telling remark.
    It is quite a telling remark I agree, however just because it is the first they have played (assuming they proceeded to continue to play the following ones) it does not necessitate that FFVII is their most popular. I have played them from 4 to 14 and FFVII was not my favourite. However, I think my point still stands, FFVII still grossed the highest, has had the majority of hardcore FF fans and FFVII along with Cloud have almost been poster-boys for the franchise. Whilst I do not like to admit that, it has to be said that this is true.

To get an accurate result, you'd have to analyse only the opinions of players who've played all the games. Hell, for a lot of gamers VII is the only one they ever bothered to play.

On top of that there's social factors, like the playstation and N64 made gaming more accessible to the populace, so of course it's going to sell better. The playstation effectively opened gaming to the casual market.
    I am not considering the people who ave only played FFVII, my point still stands. Whilst this is true that playstation opened gaming to the general populace, it does not then stand to reason that the others would have been as popular. In fact, it was the startling popularity and immense sales of the first 5 that allowed square to jump out of bankruptcy and become a high label company. Whilst the PS1 was much more available, I would not say it was cheap. Also, the FF franchise received a massive up-haul and popularity boost with FFVII despite FFVI being on playstation and the proceeding titles. You cannot argue with the facts.

Squeenix have put their most popular series in Japan on Nintendo consoles: Dragon Quest. It's more popular than FF in Japan and it's a very serious game series. The sequel to FFIV was released on Wiiware and then ported to mobiles, which also have a prequel to FFVII. KH: Chain of Memories and KH: 358/2 Days are on Nintendo consoles, are you really saying those aren't serious games? Then of course there's The World Ends With You, which arrived on the DS.
    No do not get me wrong, by "serious" I meant the high production games which have become classics. Kingdom Hearts was a classic high production serious game when it was on playstation. Compare sales on playstation to sales on handhelds and I think they speak for themselves. And yes Dragon Quest is immensely popular but that is because it has always been a small screen and PC game, like pokemon. Pokemon is hugely popular, it can stay on nintendo on a handheld because it is majorly old and designed for that kind of play. Final Fantasy is different, hence its biggest success on the PS format. Yes The World Ends With You was amazing, but again, it was designed for that kind of play on that type of console. Again, it is a serious game, but different to the FF franchise.

RPGamers, such as those that form the core fan base of FF, go generally where the games go. If that's Sony, it's Sony. If Nintendo, it's Nintendo. They're generally not as beholden to console ties as other gamers, though of course they will have a favourite.
    Not always true, look at the variance of people with consoles on this thread. Try as we might, not everyone can "go generally where the games go" if the games are on 5 different consoles at once.

It's getting ported for an Ultimate Collection being released in Japan for the 360.
    I hope so, I would hate for the franchise to suffer due to limited release.

FFXI didn't flop. It was still going until the release of FFXIV, which hasn't flopped yet. Considering that all the PSX games were ported to PCs as well, that new fanbase isn't as huge as you'd think.

I do agree on the last point, though.
    FFXI did flop. IT generally sold low and generally, when compared to the others, does not rank anywhere near as popular. Of course it is still going, FF is a massive franchise. I hope FFXIV is good, I was considering getting it, but like the majority of FF player, I do not want to pay monthly for a game I may take large bouts of time off for or I do not have time for. Another flaw in the MMORPG move for the FF franchise.

ReputationRep:
    It is quite a telling remark I agree, however just because it is the first they have played (assuming they proceeded to continue to play the following ones) it does not necessitate that FFVII is their most popular. I have played them from 4 to 14 and FFVII was not my favourite. However, I think my point still stands, FFVII still grossed the highest, has had the majority of hardcore FF fans and FFVII along with Cloud have almost been poster-boys for the franchise. Whilst I do not like to admit that, it has to be said that this is true.
    Which ignores the major point that a large faction of VII fanboys haven't played the pre-playstation era games. To get a proper reading of which game is the best, you would have to ask only those players who have played all the games, excluding maybe the MMOs, due to their different nature. If a huge section of the Final Fantasy fandom haven't played any of the games before VII, you can hardly suggest it is truly the most popular among fans. That said, I'd be inclined not to count them as hardcore FF fans, but that's just me being elitist.

I am not considering the people who ave only played FFVII, my point still stands. Whilst this is true that playstation opened gaming to the general populace, it does not then stand to reason that the others would have been as popular. In fact, it was the startling popularity and immense sales of the first 5 that allowed square to jump out of bankruptcy and become a high label company. Whilst the PS1 was much more available, I would not say it was cheap. Also, the FF franchise received a massive up-haul and popularity boost with FFVII despite FFVI being on playstation and the proceeding titles. You cannot argue with the facts.
    FF through to FFVI were released on the NES or SNES and were only ported to the PSX late in its life. They weren't heavily published or advertised either when ported.

Squaresoft were almost bankrupt when the original Final Fantasy was released, hence why they chose the name, and it saved their asses. After that, they were fine. The next five entries were just more money on the pile, really. When VII was released the company was in fine form, thanks to the previous six entries. As an aside, it was only released on the PSX due to not enough space on cartridges for what they had planned.

Of course FFVII had a huge overhaul. It was the first 3D one in the series, but it takes a lot of its other bits and pieces from pervious entries in the series. Popularity boost is partly because the PSX was so popular and also because of their huge ad campaign which drew in casual players. Such ad campaigns hadn't been run before for Final Fantasy games. It was also the first one released in Europe, which is a big point.

No do not get me wrong, by "serious" I meant the high production games which have become classics. Kingdom Hearts was a classic high production serious game when it was on playstation. Compare sales on playstation to sales on handhelds and I think they speak for themselves. And yes Dragon Quest is immensely popular but that is because it has always been a small screen and PC game, like pokemon. Pokemon is hugely popular, it can stay on nintendo on a handheld because it is majorly old and designed for that kind of play. Final Fantasy is different, hence its biggest success on the PS format. Yes The World Ends With You was amazing, but again, it was designed for that kind of play on that type of console. Again, it is a serious game, but different to the FF franchise.
    Dragon Quest has been a home console series with the exception of IX, which was released on the DS, since it was first released. It has been ported to handhelds, though, later on in life. VIII was released on the PS2, for example, and X is coming out on the Wii. The only Dragon Quest handheld titles re the spin off series like Dragon Quest Monster, which is a pokémon clone.

Not always true, look at the variance of people with consoles on this thread. Try as we might, not everyone can "go generally where the games go" if the games are on 5 different consoles at once.
    Anecdotal evidence at best. If they could, they'd probably have all the consoles. It's where my student loan ended up going.

FFXI did flop. IT generally sold low and generally, when compared to the others, does not rank anywhere near as popular. Of course it is still going, FF is a massive franchise. I hope FFXIV is good, I was considering getting it, but like the majority of FF player, I do not want to pay monthly for a game I may take large bouts of time off for or I do not have time for. Another flaw in the MMORPG move for the FF franchise.
    Of course FFXI doesn't rank as popular compared to the others, but most players of the series avoid it like the plague. It didn't flop, though, as it was reasonably popular within MMO terms and unlike many, managed to survive a good amount of time, considering its flaws. It wasn't a flop. Unlike FFXIV, which is heading that way.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Which ignores the major point that a large faction of VII fanboys haven't played the pre-playstation era games. To get a proper reading of which game is the best, you would have to ask only those players who have played all the games, excluding maybe the MMOs, due to their different nature. If a huge section of the Final Fantasy fandom haven't played any of the games before VII, you can hardly suggest it is truly the most popular among fans. That said, I'd be inclined not to count them as hardcore FF fans, but that's just me being elitist.

FF through to FFVI were released on the NES or SNES and were only ported to the PSX late in its life. They weren't heavily published or advertised either when ported.

Squaresoft were almost bankrupt when the original Final Fantasy was released, hence why they chose the name, and it saved their asses. After that, they were fine. The next five entries were just more money on the pile, really. When VII was released the company was in fine form, thanks to the previous six entries. As an aside, it was only released on the PSX due to not enough space on cartridges for what they had planned.

Of course FFVII had a huge overhaul. It was the first 3D one in the series, but it takes a lot of its other bits and pieces from pervious entries in the series. Popularity boost is partly because the PSX was so popular and also because of their huge ad campaign which drew in casual players. Such ad campaigns hadn't been run before for Final Fantasy games. It was also the first one released in Europe, which is a big point.

Dragon Quest has been a home console series with the exception of IX, which was released on the DS, since it was first released. It has been ported to handhelds, though, later on in life. VIII was released on the PS2, for example, and X is coming out on the Wii. The only Dragon Quest handheld titles re the spin off series like Dragon Quest Monster, which is a pokémon clone.

Anecdotal evidence at best. If they could, they'd probably have all the consoles. It's where my student loan ended up going.

Of course FFXI doesn't rank as popular compared to the others, but most players of the series avoid it like the plague. It didn't flop, though, as it was reasonably popular within MMO terms and unlike many, managed to survive a good amount of time, considering its flaws. It wasn't a flop. Unlike FFXIV, which is heading that way.
    Fair enough, I accept your points. We shouldn't be arguing, I feel as if I'm in the D&D section :laugh: Let us just agree that there are a lot of games on different consoles which are mainly awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I accept your points. We shouldn't be arguing, I feel as if I'm in the D&D section :laugh: Let us just agree that there are a lot of games on different consoles which are mainly awesome.
    Hehe, I was going to say that if this post had been yet another rebuttal. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen an update on Agito for quite a while...they'd better give out lots of info on in at that event in Jan...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.