Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Din't you need to be black/dark skinned to use that though :confused:
    Bobbi Brown is for everyone, Sleek targets darked skinned people.

ReputationRep:
    I found bare esscentuals (mineral foundation) better for me. MAC used to transfer when I used it too, was bloody annoying. Alternatively maybe try IMAN or a similar range like Fashion Fair? It's hard finding the right shade in the first place so good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Op, have you tried Fashion fair? Before I switched to mac studio fix I used this and generally think its quite good. Only reason why I changed to studio fix was because I wanted to try something different

p.s. ignore the closet racist dicks. What Sandeep said was beyond a joke and offensive. The rest defending him are talking ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I found bare esscentuals (mineral foundation) better for me. MAC used to transfer when I used it too, was bloody annoying. Alternatively maybe try IMAN or a similar range like Fashion Fair? It's hard finding the right shade in the first place so good luck!
    Is Mineral foundation easy to mix to get your right skin tone ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nasher and Basher)
    Is Mineral foundation easy to mix to get your right skin tone ?
    I don't mix it to my skin tone, the shade I use is quite a good match but I guess you could. Might be a bit fiddly though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had that problem

Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VHumperdink)
    Hey Op, have you tried Fashion fair? Before I switched to mac studio fix I used this and generally think its quite good. Only reason why I changed to studio fix was because I wanted to try something different

p.s. ignore the closet racist dicks. What Sandeep said was beyond a joke and offensive. The rest defending him are talking ****
    Thanks for the advice. Is it pressed or loose the one you used to use?

No, I've never tried fashion fair, lol the women who are often at the selfridges counter don't often seem to have nice makeup lol . I will check it out tomorrow though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for everyone who's given advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    I need to replace my make-up and I'm just considering a different brand. Would girls who have dark skin advise any particular brands?

I'm currently using Mac studio fix, which I find really good but the only problem I have with their powder is that it transfers onto paper. I don't find clinque that good.

I'm considering YSL, I've never tried it. Would anyone recommend it? Does it transfer onto paper? I'm hoping to buy my make-up tomorrow.

Are there any brands people might suggest?
    I've not used it myself but I've heard Beverly Knight's make up range is pretty decent
    http://www.beautybay.com/cosmetics/k...FQ1O4QodOHu_ow

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. Is it pressed or loose the one you used to use?

No, I've never tried fashion fair, lol the women who are often at the selfridges counter don't often seem to have nice makeup lol . I will check it out tomorrow though.
    I use the pressed one, it stays better for me. If the women look that bad I'd be weary of them too haha. good luck

ReputationRep:
    I've decided maybe just to stick to Mac, I guess better the devil you know. It works well, my only issue is that it transfers, i guess it doesnt stay/stick. The good thing about studio fix is that it's with foundation so I don't need to apply any foundation, just the powder is enough. I also like the shade I use.

I notice people have mentioned primer, I've never used it. Does it help makeup stay on face? I'm guessing I could ask the people at the mac counter but then I know they will lie because at the end of the day, they are sales people. I'd rather hear from people who have used it.

ReputationRep:
    I've decided maybe just to stick to Mac, I guess better the devil you know. It works well, my only issue is that it transfers, i guess it doesnt stay/stick. The good thing about studio fix is that it's with foundation so I don't need to apply any foundation, just the powder is enough. I also like the shade I use.

I notice people have mentioned primer, I've never used it. Does it help makeup stay on face? I'm guessing I could ask the people at the mac counter but then I know they will lie because at the end of the day, they are sales people. I'd rather hear from people who have used it.
    Primer makes make up stay on longer, but I think the Mac fix it spray is much better- get that instead, just spray it on your face after you apply your make up- its good, and it doesnt make your face rock hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nasher and Basher)
    Primer makes make up stay on longer, but I think the Mac fix it spray is much better- get that instead, just spray it on your face after you apply your make up- its good, and it doesnt make your face rock hard.
    Oh cool. Thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    Hey peeps, just to give you an update. I went to try out make up at various concessions on yesterday and found that YSL does in fact do really good shades for black people. I got really good stuff there.

My sister got stuff at NARS, hers was really good as well.

Totally pleased.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using Maybelline superstay 24hours at the moment (in sun beige) and it's the best foundation I've used to date It doesn't smudge on to clothes (or paper, in my experience...) and is the closest match I've found to my skin tone. I used Clinique for quite a while but have gone off it, the one that I used didn't provide much coverage, it was quite transparent. It also looked more and more different to the shade of my skin everytime I put it on, so I've just stopped using it now...I'd recommend Maybelline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-besito)
    I'm using Maybelline superstay 24hours at the moment (in sun beige) and it's the best foundation I've used to date It doesn't smudge on to clothes (or paper, in my experience...) and is the closest match I've found to my skin tone. I used Clinique for quite a while but have gone off it, the one that I used didn't provide much coverage, it was quite transparent. It also looked more and more different to the shade of my skin everytime I put it on, so I've just stopped using it now...I'd recommend Maybelline
    Yeah I used to use clinique as well, wasn't good :no:.

Oh I'm happy with what I found at YSL but I might try Maybelline superstay in the near future. What tone is sunbeige for?

ReputationRep:
    Actually sleek are aimed at all different skin tones, but what ysl colour did you ? and what are you normally in mac

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allapologies)
    Actually sleek are aimed at all different skin tones, but what ysl colour did you ? and what are you normally in mac
    They did number 2 in the powder and 13 in the foundation at YSL.

I'm NW45 with Mac.

ReputationRep:
    They did number 2 in the powder and 13 in the foundation at YSL.

I'm NW45 with Mac.
    I see, i am too. so as soon as my mac finishes i'll try it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allapologies)
    I see, i am too. so as soon as my mac finishes i'll try it.
    If you live in London, try the YSL counter at Selfridges, they were really helpful but then they only do foundation and a powder separately unlike the studio fix. I think I will have to get used to using the separate things.

My sister decided to go for NARS because they have a powder/foundation like MAC. They gave her a primer sample as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.