Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Border Collie lovers... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HTrox)
    I've never had a dog but I've looked after a Border Collie lots of times and he's super sweet. I think Border Collies are the most intelligent of the dog breeds.
    I have to agree The only thing mine has trouble understanding is that it's not always his turn to do the agility or fetch

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a BC before but I used to constantly walk one from Assisi because he was gorgeous and had the best temper. Had to refrain from walking him home

If you don't mind me asking, do you all give your BCs things to do? Other than walks, I think it helps with their energy if they're given something to do as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by converselove)
    I've never had a BC before but I used to constantly walk one from Assisi because he was gorgeous and had the best temper. Had to refrain from walking him home

If you don't mind me asking, do you all give your BCs things to do? Other than walks, I think it helps with their energy if they're given something to do as well
    BC They need walks, mine prefers offlead runs..took loads of training to get him to come back but you can see the amount of joy he gets form runnign free! :L
    They need sooo much mental stimulation! I taught mine many tricks (attended agility for a bit but it got boring after a while and he didn't like it when other dogs were running) then I got those toys that occupy them, like they have treats in them and they have to roll the ball to get them, playing hide and seek, those stuffed bones are great! Hours of fun!
    Your right though they have so much energy and need to be occupied! Mine once started do throw a tennis ball down the stairs and chaisng it cos I was doing homework and wouldn't throw it for him! :L

ReputationRep:
    How much does it cost to buy one of these dogs?

Do they taste nice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ajka)
    BC They need walks, mine prefers offlead runs..took loads of training to get him to come back but you can see the amount of joy he gets form runnign free! :L
    They need sooo much mental stimulation! I taught mine many tricks (attended agility for a bit but it got boring after a while and he didn't like it when other dogs were running) then I got those toys that occupy them, like they have treats in them and they have to roll the ball to get them, playing hide and seek, those stuffed bones are great! Hours of fun!
    Your right though they have so much energy and need to be occupied! Mine once started do throw a tennis ball down the stairs and chaisng it cos I was doing homework and wouldn't throw it for him! :L
    All dogs need to be worked in some way. Have you tried teaching your BC to fetch things for you? Not things like a stick but things like socks etc, would be good to give him a purpose! You're right with the agility, my boxer didn't like it when other dogs were running either, he got very bored and wasn't happy that he had to wait his turn

Yeah dogs like BCs (the working dog) need something to stimulate them and that's why you see a lot of owners who can't handle their dogs, they simply don't give their dogs enough things to do! Haha aww bless him! My 2 cockers (10 weeks) are starting to learn the art of digging haha

ReputationRep:
    My border collie cross loves nothing more than nicking my slipper and then running off with it .She also loves tearing around the garden in a massive circle growling to herself!.Sometimes she'll even throw a tennis ball up in to the air and catch it herself.

ReputationRep:
    I never thought a TSR thread would ever make me want to cry.

My Collie got 'taken away by farmers' when I was around 6 on a trip to some cousin's house.

... I loved that bloody dog. *******s.

(Original post by MovingOn)
    That dog is absolutely gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedger)

My Collie got 'taken away by farmers' when I was around 6 on a trip to some cousin's house.

Really sorry about your collie .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Really sorry about your collie .
    It was devastating.

Come to think of it, I'm sure I was a little older. My parents knew I'd never give the 'OK' to them giving the dog away. So they distracted me with some trip to a cousin's house and got the dog picked up while I was there... they told me on the car journey home I swear it was one of the most defining moments of my childhood. I cried literally the whole way home.

ReputationRep:
    It was devastating.

Come to think of it, I'm sure I was a little older. My parents knew I'd never give the 'OK' to them giving the dog away. So they distracted me with some trip to a cousin's house and got the dog picked up while I was there... they told me on the car journey home I swear it was one of the most defining moments of my childhood. I cried literally the whole way home.

Sorry to say this but thats just cruel.Why did your parents give your dog away?.

ReputationRep:
    Just saw this thread pop up so thought I'd share a couple of photos of Ozzie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Just saw this thread pop up so thought I'd share a couple of photos of Ozzie!

+ rep for serious cuteness .

ReputationRep:

Sorry to hear that, I couldn't imagine that happening. And thank you, we still miss him a lot.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Love border collies. Here's mine:

ReputationRep:
    i have two border collies at home 2, a 3yr old one and one thts about to turn 1, tia nd Bialey though bailey literally has springs in her legs, lol, they r the best dogs to have although they r quite energetic.x

ReputationRep:
    I love border collies, we've always had them. Jess was a mountain rescue dog who unfortunately died of a brain tumor a few years ago. We had two brown/caramel coloured border collies (brother/sister) called Fred and Toffee - Fred was gorgeous and still miss him! Now we have a crazy 4 year old called Murphy who has more energy than all of the others put together!

Murphy

Fred

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.