Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Helenia)
      Oh ok, didn't know that - was the case when we had our med school teaching and at my hospital last year.
      Think someone was talking bull to you.
      Don't get me wrong you do waste blood by over crossmatching - basically you end up reserving the blood for so long it goes beyond its best before date and expires.
      But if blood is crossmatched for patient A on admission and he dies before it leaves the lab, and someone actually bothers to tell the lab then it will go back into the general pool.

Of course electronic issue crossmatches help reduce this waste because you can get an issue so quickly people now are less likely to over order.

[Incidentally I only properly understood all this once I did a haem job and spent time in the lab]

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.