LSE vs Durham Watch

• View Poll Results: LSE Phil/Econ vs Durham PPE
    LSE
    48.00%
    Durham
    52.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    It's only a city because it has a cathedral. Durham has a population of 29,000. That is extreeeemly small. I live near a market town that has a population greater than Durham. Just thought I'd say that. Don't know why, but there you go.
    Its population is actually close to 90,000. Which, although still means it's around the 20th smallest city in the country, it is still larger than cities like Bath (though note by much).

Yes it is not large but market town, legally speaking, has its own meaning and this doesn't fit Durham (and not just because Durham is a city and not town). There is nothing wrong with calling it a very small city. City status has never been associated with population size (or, for the last few hundred years, having a cathedral.

Though Durham has a bit of a market town feel to it for some it still offers more pubs, clubs, cafes and restaurants than any market town I know of. It is quite rubbish for clubs but has a surpisingly good live music scene. Just that some of the pubs aren't your usual student places so not well visited or known of amongst many students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Point!)
    Hello, are you the representative from King's College?
    Unfortunately not. I go to LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LimeyCoconut)
    Well, where may I start?

I personally despise the teaching at LSE. It just feels as if you're being ripped off and it's really impersonal.

You start out and the teachers speak to you as if you're already supposed to know the subject off by heart.
    They don't teach they just ask you what you know.

You get 4 classes per week that only last 1 hour. By the time you've settled into class, you have to leave. Times up! Also, the class is just there to tell the teacher what you've read. There is NO teaching.

Fair enough uni is supposed to be independent learning but this is ridiculous. You pay like £3-4k for nothing.

And because you have to overcompensate for all the independent reading you have to do, actually going into uni, lectures and classes feels like it takes valuable time away from studying.

Ohh, and it's overly snobby! Everyone is obsessed with showing off their Apple laptops and trips to Geneva and pretending that they know EVERYTHING.

If you like snobs and teaching yourself the course for £3-4k then LSE is the place for you.

If not, go to somewhere a bit more human.
    wow sounds like you really hate it there, is it just you or are there more people who feel the same way?

It's kinda obvious from going to open days and just generally from researching that the school has a very 'corporate' atmosphere and it's really different from any conventional uni, so why did you choose LSE?

ReputationRep:
    Well, where may I start?
    And because you have to overcompensate for all the independent reading you have to do, actually going into uni, lectures and classes feels like it takes valuable time away from studying.

Ohh, and it's overly snobby! Everyone is obsessed with showing off their Apple laptops and trips to Geneva and pretending that they know EVERYTHING.
    Fair enough. I'll guess that you're not on a quantitative course seeing as you have to do 'independent reading'?

Fair enough, some of the teaching is a bit sloppy, especially from some PhD students, and some of them do have a lot of trouble with the language, which isn't exactly ideal.

And I can see your point about the whole Apple thing, but I'm not going to let that put me off having LSE on my CV. Please don't let the rahs get you down, punch them in their oversized glasses instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Its population is actually close to 90,000. Which, although still means it's around the 20th smallest city in the country, it is still larger than cities like Bath (though note by much).

Yes it is not large but market town, legally speaking, has its own meaning and this doesn't fit Durham (and not just because Durham is a city and not town). There is nothing wrong with calling it a very small city. City status has never been associated with population size (or, for the last few hundred years, having a cathedral.

Though Durham has a bit of a market town feel to it for some it still offers more pubs, clubs, cafes and restaurants than any market town I know of. It is quite rubbish for clubs but has a surpisingly good live music scene. Just that some of the pubs aren't your usual student places so not well visited or known of amongst many students.
    Wooah, hold up right there. 2001 census data gives Durham a total population of 29,091. Of course it will have grown slightly since then, but not by 209% lol. I suppose London and Durham each have their own merits in terms of the social scene, I guess it's down to personal preference (although it would be stupid to base your uni choices based on the nightlife).

ReputationRep:

If you like snobs and teaching yourself the course for £3-4k then LSE is the place for you.

This is all a bit rich coming from someone whose profile includes lines like:
    "I'm on a mission to be rich and wealthy. Come with me." and "I am a smart-ass. That's all you need to know."

ReputationRep:
    Go to LSE man! I know loads of people who like to go out a few times a week minimum!! Of course it won't be as social as UCL etc, but the idea that LSE is completely anti-social is overhyped. I've had a bloody awesome first term and have met so many great people who happen to be sociable! :rolleyes: You're in London, access to hundreds of clubs, restaurants, anything.

I do agree that our contact time is low, but I don't really mind, it's really personal preference. I was worried about this anti-social thing, and was deciding between UCL and LSE. Looking back, I really shouldn't have worried at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Wooah, hold up right there. 2001 census data gives Durham a total population of 29,091. Of course it will have grown slightly since then, but not by 209% lol. I suppose London and Durham each have their own merits in terms of the social scene, I guess it's down to personal preference (although it would be stupid to base your uni choices based on the nightlife).
    Nope, it's 87k I think. This is what the 2001 Census gives it as. I will link to it once I can get to a laptop.

This figure is for all settlements in the city boundaries, including the few villages on the outskirts. But Durham proper obviously constitutes the bulk.

It did have the largest private housing estate in Europe until not all that long ago. It may be small for a city but it is not tiny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdVein)
    This is all a bit rich coming from someone whose profile includes lines like:
    "I'm on a mission to be rich and wealthy. Come with me." and "I am a smart-ass. That's all you need to know."
    Yeah, that IS coming from me. And what?

Weirdo. Needing to stalk my profile just to paraphrase and put out of context what I've said in the past.

Now, can you please address what I've said rather than act like I shouldn't have any opinions based on what I've said on my profile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Nope, it's 87k I think. This is what the 2001 Census gives it as. I will link to it once I can get to a laptop.

This figure is for all settlements in the city boundaries, including the few villages on the outskirts. But Durham proper obviously constitutes the bulk.

It did have the largest private housing estate in Europe until not all that long ago. It may be small for a city but it is not tiny.
    You're right. Wikipedia has it as 29,091 and it gave the year as 2001, naturally I assumed it was from the census data. I suppose the census figure is the population of the Durham district, not the physical city.

ReputationRep:
    I would go for PPE at Durham. More rounded and comprehensive course, and it's still an amazing uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that IS coming from me. And what?

Weirdo. Needing to stalk my profile just to paraphrase and put out of context what I've said in the past.

Now, can you please address what I've said rather than act like I shouldn't have any opinions based on what I've said on my profile?
    Sounds like I've touched a nerve
    I find it amusing that you hate LSE because it is full of people like yourself.

With regards teaching time, I agree that there isn't much of it but in my experience it has been of a good standard. The emphasis on self study shouldn't really be a major problem as literally everything you need will be covered in lectures (a lot of which are recorded and put online) plus you can always go to office hours and go through homework with friends.

The atmosphere on campus is noticeably cold and corporate but amongst the obsessive wannabe bankers there are plenty of nice normal people and it's not hard to have a good time if you make an effort.

ReputationRep:
    Well, where may I start?

I personally despise the teaching at LSE. It just feels as if you're being ripped off and it's really impersonal.

You start out and the teachers speak to you as if you're already supposed to know the subject off by heart.

You get 4 classes per week that only last 1 hour. By the time you've settled into class, you have to leave. Times up! Also, the class is just there to tell the teacher what you've read. There is NO teaching.

Fair enough uni is supposed to be independent learning but this is ridiculous. You pay like £3-4k for nothing.

Lol.

Information I have is that he is right about everything he said.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Sometimes I read stuff on here about LSE and it seems like people are writing about a completely different uni :lolwut:

I'm a Politics & Philosophy fresher at LSE (I also rejected a Durham PPE offer to be here, coincidentally), I go out min. 2 nights a week and I could easily be out every night if I wanted to. People I've met are super-friendly, far removed from the over-competitive LSE caricature, and I don't even find campus to have a particularly corporate atmosphere. Academics-wise, I've found the content to be very interesting and the teaching to be excellent; I have learnt a lot from the 1 hour classes (contact time at other top unis doesn't seem to be much different anyway). On the PPE side of things, I applied for PPE instead of PolPhil everywhere else except LSE, so I've basically designed my ideal PPE course here by taking Economics as my outside option: I'm doing as much Economics as I do Politics! So you'll still be able to do Politics. Career-wise, I know this is hearsay so feel free to dismiss it, but at the few networking events I've been to, the top firms have really stressed their preference for Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/ICL over everywhere else. Also, LSE seems to be much more well-known overseas than Durham, which may be worth considering if you want a career outside the UK.

In conclusion: come to LSE!

[/bias]

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys appreciate the input so far but the more info i can get the better

Added a Poll now just to see some raw statistics

Yeh im at college bored out of my mind

ReputationRep:
    You'd be crazy not to go for LSE. Durham is great but LSE will really set you apart.

ReputationRep:
    Well, where may I start?

it's funny how this storyline is so prevalent...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom29)
    Hi Guys

I am applying to uni at the moment and so far i have offers from LSE to dtudy Philosophy and Economics and Durhah/York for PPE

Obviously i really fancy LSE but im worried about missing the oppurtunity to do PPE and also whether LSE will be social enough?

Any thoughts?
    Hmmmm, I would suggest that your academia would be maximised at the LSE. However, I've heard from friends there that it's really intense and that the social life isn't great at all. Durham has a very good mix of high attainment and a decent social life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.