Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Especially with DSR and the like now.

ReputationRep:
    I checked PayPal T&C, since his new account is not linked to his eBay one, I assume this is now a private transaction. And this is from the PayPal website:

"Please also note that personal transaction payments are not eligible for re-imbursement under any of PayPal’s protection for buyers."

It sounds like it's a case of 'shill bidding' gone wrong [for the seller] - he was probably counting on you bidding further.

As for the other PayPal address, the sellers doing this no doubt because of eBay and PayPal's buyer protection guarantee; you lose this if you manually make a payment/deposit to someone's PayPal account.

Considering the relatively high value/cost, wouldn't it perhaps be better purchasing it direct from Apple? It's ever-so slightly more, but will give you that piece of mind [incl. warranty]?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ArchedEdge)
      I thought that selling through PayPal invoice would be as secure as eBay in terms of guarantee, but I'm taking the advice on board just in case it turns out to be a bad deal and have cancelled it.

Thanks guys!
      Yeah I would steer clear from this one, sounds dodgey, wouldn't risk it :tongue:

Always stick to the transaction through ebay unless you know what you're doing 100%.

I go out of ebay all the time, but I can afford to do this because what I normally buy, I pay cash for and collect it in person. It allows me to inspect what I am buying there and then and test it if need be, especially if its an electronic item. Even then, I get a reciept off them with their name/address etc. on it.

If however I am having the goods delivered to me, I pay by paypal and pay all the fees etc. without hesitation. Its not worth the risk over £500.
      • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
      i would say if he's offering it through another & wants you to classify as good it's probably to avoid the transaction fees of ebay lol

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ArchedEdge)
      I checked PayPal T&C, since his new account is not linked to his eBay one, I assume this is now a private transaction. And this is from the PayPal website:

"Please also note that personal transaction payments are not eligible for re-imbursement under any of PayPal’s protection for buyers."
      I am an Ebay Seller so I have some experience in the area.

I think he is trying to scam you because you completing the transaction outsider of Ebay. Therefore, I don't believe you are covered under buyer protection because you have not bought anything in the eyes of Ebay or Paypal.

Or he is trying to get around transaction fees.

Or it could be both.

What he is doing actually breaks Ebay rules.

In any case, you should report the problem to Ebay or just refuse him.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TravelGuru)
      Especially with DSR and the like now.
      Yeh, they have really strict DSR's for EBay Sellers. I became a below rated seller because I messed up some transactions at the beginning.

Becoming top rated is even harder only 1 in 200 transactions can have a dispatch time of 1 or 2 stars.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DorianGrayism)
      Yeh, they have really strict DSR's for EBay Sellers. I became a below rated seller because I messed up some transactions at the beginning.

Becoming top rated is even harder only 1 in 200 transactions can have a dispatch time of 1 or 2 stars.
      Exactly. Thank you sir.

ReputationRep:
      You are not covered by Ebay protection policy if the payment is made into a different paypal account to his paypal that is registered with the site.

eBay doesn't protect you for ****. it's PAYPAL that protects you and if you send the money to a different address it'd be just like doing a private sale outside eBay. you still get full PayPal buyer protection this way and the seller presumably wants to do this to avoid eBay fees or something. who knows. sounds good though. PayPal is incredibly biased towards buyers when it comes to filing disputes.

having said that, if i'm buying something (readily available) from someone and it seems fishy i will pass because i can find someone else selling it because if i do get screwed i can't be bothered to go through the ordeal of getting my money back. depending on how good the deal is and what it's for affects how likely i am to trust the seller. you'd be a bit paranoid to back out of this deal though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.