The Student Room Group

Why are people so quick to use the term depression so loosely?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AshleyT
Because they get on with it...they have too...They'll appreciate such little things. So such little things can make them happy :smile:....also im not sure they have time to dwell on some of the sad, horrendous things that happen to them...because if they did, it would turn them insane (my opinion based on speaking to quite a few).

It's certainly something i've had to do - the problem is you push yourself so hard, and block out the memories so much, they do come and bite you in the ass eventually, mine being very intense flashbacks and other things....but i'll crash for 2-3 days and then force pick myself up. Forcing myself to go out the house etc, no matter how much i dont want too.

It's why i'm a little...hmmm...when it comes to depression...

I think the problems more mindset than anything else. Not many people seem to try to look on the brightside of things. No matter what problem there is, there's always a brightside somewhere, even if it is just thinking 'what doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger'.

Imo, every kid in secondary school should do a month abroad in one of these harder countries - it'll help them appreciate the little things a lot more and may help stop people getting so depressed.

Note: My post refers to general depression, not clinical depression =)

Very good answer, I like your elaboration :yy:. A lot of this is pretty much what I was thinking. :yep:
Reply 21
I know what you mean.

Being bipolar is another one. I see the term flung around so often now, it's getting ridiculous. I have been in what you could describe as a depressive state before. It's horrid. Truly, truly horrid. I could barely muster the energy to leave my bed, kept bursting into tears at random intervals and felt horribly empty and numb.

I find it very difficult to believe that so many teenagers swing between that sort of state and absolute mania (complete euphoria, crying with joy at the slightest little thing etc. etc.). Some teenagers are bipolar, and I do have deep sympathy. However, I have no sympathy for people who just want an excuse to swing between being massively obnoxious and then get sympathy because they're 'depressed'.
Ignorance.

People don't seem to understand what depression is actually like.
Reply 23
They mix up being 'depressed' and suffering from 'depression'

Depressed and Depression are two completely different things IMO. Depression being extremely severe obvs.
At the same time, you fail to consider the fact that depression is actually a complex mental illness in itself, meaning there are so many actual types of depression.

Take this with a pinch of salt (I remember this from my Psych A Level days) but I think something like suffering with a handful of symptoms for as short as 2 weeks is sufficient to warrant (one type of) depression diagnosis.
People who have never had mental health problems are very ignorant of what it means to have one. I do agree that the term shouldn't be used loosely, it gives the impression that people who are competely debilitated by the illness are on a par with people who are having a bad week.
Depression is a spectrum disorder, so you can't definitively draw a line where depression starts- it doesn't work like that. That's why statistics like "10% of all young women suffer from depression" or whatever it is don't really shine light on the situation.

For example, people often recover from what is classed as "mild depression" without treatment and their normal functioning "is only mildly imparied". It seems evident from this that more common emotional troubles could be classed as varying degrees of "mild depression". Depression SHOULD be taken seriously of course- but it should not be overmedicalised. Depression is a very complex topic, and not many people suffer from more severe forms of depression.

Also: depression =/= needing to take anti-depressants

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Depression.htm
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Yawn11
The fact that it's way more prevalent in Western culture suggests were quite spoilt. I mean I think we can all agree there's a lot of people on the other side of the world have A LOT more to be depressed about?!

Well, maybe it's because in Third-World countries there's already lack of regular doctors, so their mental healthcare services are probably practically non-existant. Also people living in extreme poverty are probably too busy just trying to survive to experience the kind of depression people suffer in places where basic living requirements have already been taken care of. But I'm sure those people who live in mud huts and drink dirty water are pretty bloody miserable. It's like comparing a domesticated pet with a wild animal, the pet has a better life but may experience certain behavioural issues that a wild animal wouldn't because they're too busy just trying to survive.

By all means spare a thought for the less fortunate people in the world, but the old "compared to them, you have no reason to be depressed" is lazy, ignorant rubbish. Life in a poverty stricken African or Asian country is completely different to life in a country like Britain.
Original post by Yawn11
I mean I think we can all agree there's a lot of people on the other side of the world have A LOT more to be depressed about?!

The worst is those who are literally depressed for no reason what so ever, no events that preceded the depression (e.g. Loss of a spouse).

Your post was going so well until this nonsense. What a let down.
You have no understanding of what Depression - as in the clinical mental illness - is whatsoever.
Reply 29
Original post by Gwasgray

By all means spare a thought for the less fortunate people in the world, but the old "compared to them, you have no reason to be depressed" is lazy, ignorant rubbish. Life in a poverty stricken African or Asian country is completely different to life in a country like Britain.

Sorry so what you're saying is that the reason Western Culture is more prone to depression is because we have more time to ponder/dwell on life's difficulties?! Suggesting our difficulties - at least mentally- outweigh theirs?

How ironic you use 'ignorant' in your post.
Original post by Blueflare
Your post was going so well until this nonsense. What a let down.
You have no understanding of what Depression - as in the clinical mental illness - is whatsoever.

Yeah that's just assumption. I've actually studied depression before.

I'm guessing you're referring that 'one' of the causes to depression is 'thought' to be a chemical imbalance?

In which case you're the one who lacks the undestanding. Don't quote me rubbish.
Reply 30
Original post by Yawn11
Inspired by the attention seekers in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1490268.

Every day you'll see some idiot who has clearly just had a bad day/week/month or a bad end to a relationship claim to be depressed (mostly on HnR forum).

What annoys me is how these people are able to throw the word so easily, it's a serious a mental illness. Doctors have to go through years of medical school before they are even allowed to diagnose people with it. Yet these people know better?!

Why would you want to label a bad mood as depression?! I don't get it.

The fact that it's way more prevalent in Western culture suggests were quite spoilt. I mean I think we can all agree there's a lot of people on the other side of the world have A LOT more to be depressed about?!

The worst is those who are literally depressed for no reason what so ever, no events that preceded the depression (e.g. Loss of a spouse).

And if you're critical/less accepting about depression or people's motivation to commit suicide - then suddenly you must be ignorant.

Bit of a rant, but this issue really does annoy me.

Wow a serious thread by you. I thought you of all people would take everything on TSR with a pinch of salt.
Reply 31
Original post by Yawn11
Suggesting our difficulties - at least mentally- outweigh theirs?

No, that's not what I said. But you can't compare life in modern Britain to life in a undeveloped country.

Do you think because in Britain we have clean, running water, sanitation, plenty of food, heathcare and aren't going to get slaughtered by some warlord means we should not be allowed to be depressed about anything?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Absinth
Wow a serious thread by you. I thought you of all people would take everything on TSR with a pinch of salt.

Lol, well even I have my moments. :colonhash: Not my first thread..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending