Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    This seems to be pretty common.

I've not known many people who told me they were bi, but interestingly one girl who is bi literally is half butch and half feminine. Sometimes she dresses, looks and acts like a butch lesbian, and other times she's a very feminine and normal girl. I don't know her preference for either gender fluctuates along with these changes, or maybe she's always up for either and just like dressing/acting in both ways according to the situation.
    That is very interesting, and actually something I've thought about possibly applying to me. I certainly wouldn't say I'm butch, more tomboy...but I'm also very girly and feminine. I don't wake up one morning and think "I'm feeling gay today" and then put on my shirt and Docs though, I just happen to like a range of dress styles

ReputationRep:

"Yeah I slept with a dude once, I'm pretty alternative like that."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    The main, and worst, stereotype of a bisexual person is not their mannerisms or dress sense, rather their sexual habits.

Bisexual people are often considered sexually promiscuous, which can make it very difficult for them to get into relationships, simply because prospective partners will be wary of being cheated on.
    Don't I know it :/ I find it's hard for monosexual people, regardless of gender, to understand that it doesn't make someone promiscuous, I'm quite the opposite! I laugh when people say "that's great, it means you have more choice" because I find that there are actually few people who are okay with someone who is bisexual.

ReputationRep:
    The guys tend to be indy/emo and wear skinny jeans. Girls tend to be massively opinionated, stressy sluts who have serious relationships with guys, dump them because they're insensitive ********s and get a girlfriend just to say **** you.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm just a scene kid :eek: I've heard all of these stereotypes before, about the emo/scene thing, thinking that's it's alternative and rebellious and cool. But I thought this only applied to those who claimed they were bisexual for these reasons. I know loads of these people, who in recent years have "turned out" to actually be straight (i.e. grew out of their silly I'm-so-unique phase). I didn't think people actually thought this about genuine bisexuals (actually I know it's still quite common for people to think that bisexuals are just in denial and there are no real bisexuals). I suppose that's why it's called a stereotype then and that answers my question, so thanks peeps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by make-cookies-not-war)
    A stereotypical gay man is very camp, feminine, with lots of female friends. A stereotypical gay woman is butch, possibly large, with short hair and a masculine dress sense. You know the type, you see them walking down the street and you'll instantly assume they're gay without even speaking to them, and most of the time you'll be right. Of course probably the majority of gay peope don't fit exactly into these stereotypes, but they are there for a reason.

You could also argue that you'd know if someone was straight too, i.e. a womanising 'lad' or girl who dresses provocatively to attract attention. You'd probably assume that these people were straight, although these aren't stereotypes for the general straight community.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any physical stereotypes for bisexuals? The reason I'm asking this is because, while a few people are surprised to hear of my sexuality, the majority of people either aren't surprised at all, or some say they even knew or expected it from me. And I can't understand why! It's intriguing me. Do I give off some sort of bi vibe??

How would you stereotype a bisexual person? I'm a girl, but I'm curious if bisexual boys have a stereotype too.
    hmm well i am a Bi Boy and i do not think there is much of a stereotype, maybe liberal and open-minded that's about it really??????

Like you when i do tell people they barely acknowledge it and sometimes will be surprised (i thought you were straight?!) and i have some friends who used to be very homophobic from the Caribbean and when i told them they said nada, they have really grown quite liberal now, i have a friend from Afghanistan a real conservative Muslim girl who tries to fix me up with guys and she is really really conservative she does not touch anyone no high five even.........

So anyway a bi boy really has no stereotype there is an aspersion that bisexuals are prone to be more promiscuous and untrustworthy because they have more partners to choose from but that is just a load of bull

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by make-cookies-not-war)
    ?? I'm sorry if I offended you, it was hardly my intention
    Thanks for my first ever neg, what a monumentous day. And for an apology?? I'm sure I've said worse things on this site than sorry...

ReputationRep:
    Bi girls are the best. It's pretty much a guarantee that they'll be open minded, tolerant and liberal. Plus, they're quite often hot.

ReputationRep:
    You'll know a bisexual girl when you see one, because she will tell you.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to think of bisexuals as just a bit weird.
    I know gay people who admit they'd have a fling with the opposite sex and straight guys who (drunkenly) admit they'd like to fool around with a dude. As long as you have a relationship preference for one gender, you can get away with a fluid sexual identity. To have no strong preference for relationships just seems strange . I don't know any true bisexuals, only people who've fooled around with their sexual identity, but ultimately stuck with their relationship one.

ReputationRep:
    Someone I told about me wasn't particularly surprised. I asked why, and they said they had always thought of me as liberal, open minded and a bit adventurous. Maybe that's the stereotype. Some people also mistakenly believe that bisexual people are promiscuous and 'can't stay with one person,' which is utter bull****.

To be honest, I don't think it's a good idea to look for a stereotype; it's not usually considered to be a positive thing! Look how many wrong and slightly offensive ideas have already been thrown out on this thread...

ReputationRep:
    I think the general stereotype is 'they're not picky.' :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    The most common stereotypes are:

bi male: same as gay male
    bi girl: attention seekin' ho

Disclaimer: this is not my opinion, its just the stereotyping I am aware of.
    Exactly this. People tend to claim that bisexuality is 'attention-seeking', 'greedy' or 'non-existent'. When you get onto pansexuality, pretty much everyone dismisses it...

ReputationRep:
    Greedy

ReputationRep:
    some effeminate males you could probably guess were bisexual if they seemed gay but watched football and flirted with girls in a straight way. every straight girl is actually bisexual because it's just their nature to always be flirty and feely with other people so would definitely get with another girl - just look at the number of girls who have kissed other girls on nights out.

ReputationRep:
    Knew a 'bisexual' girl but honestly she was more just 'bipolar' (no jokes). Huge mood swings and neediness. Basically goes from boys to girls to boys etc attention seeking TO THE MAX. Leaving numerous heartbroken gf/bf's in her wake.
    As soon as someone gets it into their head that they ARE a unique snowflake (normally by self diagnosing a mental illness on wikipedia etc) they become self absorbed and selfish

ReputationRep:
    Kris from holloyaks

ReputationRep:
    Well as I've found for girls anyway - Attention seeking, really emotional, generally a bit emo, may have red, blue, orangey-red or some other random coloured hair, fairly short hair (ear length or so), dresses provocatively, comes across as a bit Indie, liberally drinks, smokes and does other drugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaHaLOL)
    I dont get why being bisexual has anything to do with being an attention whore??
    they claimed to be bisexual in order to get more attention from people in the sixth form, what's confusing about that?

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen, Bisexuals are just like straight people. They just turn bi because they can't decide.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.