Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't applaud your teacher in school so I don't see why you would applaud a lecturer unless it was the last lecture of a course or if they were retiring or changing posts.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

No. We appreciate what they do but clapping is just plain awkward.

ReputationRep:
    I think we've only ever applaused once, when we had a guest lecturer.
    Who was amazing.

I've not seen this happen at my university. But I think it should. It's like when the pilot of an aircraft touches down, the passengers applaud. The same should happen at lectures as a matter of politeness.
      • PS Helper
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Clapped at end of final lecture this term by Katie Lowe (awesome lecturer who everyone loves!) but never clapped at end of other lectures!
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Crazy Paving)
      I've never heard of such a thing. As long as they are getting paid for it, I don't see why they'd care about getting applause.
      :ditto:

We only clapped at the end of a lecture series if it was the most amazing, inspiring thing ever and someone saw fit to initiate the applause.

So we didn't clap very often

ReputationRep:
      Only seen it happen once, last year and the guy deserved it. The lecture was awesome.

ReputationRep:
      Why should I (or we) give applause? We are fee-paying students and not tramps off the street with notepads. It's not like the professors are selflessly teaching us for the betterment of society and giving up their "free time". Just business as usual.

And does this mean people can boo?

ReputationRep:
      I was under the impression that clapping after a lecture automatically changed your status to "dorky loser"....?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tallon)
      I was just talking to a friend who is back from a different university and he was really surprised that, a lot of the time, there's applause after lectures at LSE.
      When half the year of budding econ. B students pack the Peacock, I'm not surprised.

In law we only really clap at the end of a series.

ReputationRep:
      Only for a guest, and even then some don't get it, especially if they're a bit full of themselves. Otherwise it's unheard of

ReputationRep:
      I have never ever clapped in a lecture, even if its the last one of the module.

Only at the end of a set of lectures and even then it was only for the best lecturers.

ReputationRep:
        At Sussex we got told off by the course convenor for not clapping. Apparently it's a tradition. There is applause at the end of every lecture.

Sussex is a ****hole though.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
        I've not seen this happen at my university. But I think it should. It's like when the pilot of an aircraft touches down, the passengers applaud. The same should happen at lectures as a matter of politeness.
        I've never heard anyone applaud on a plane. I don't think that happens much any more, unless the plane came close to crashing. It is quite sad that we find massive tubes of metal flying and landing safely so mundane now.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        I didn't think I was a massive dork or suck up, but apparently I am.
        • PS Helper
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Potiron)
        I've never heard anyone applaud on a plane. I don't think that happens much any more, unless the plane came close to crashing. It is quite sad that we find massive tubes of metal flying and landing safely so mundane now.
        Ryan Air flights and Easy Jet flights normally have a lot of people clapping...

ReputationRep:
        I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread...

People have been doing that at Cambridge and I'm finding it incredibly weird. They're not some kind of keynote speakers who've come out of the goodness of their heart, if this was a business situation we don't applaud someone at the end of their PowerPoint presentation.

I really wish people would stop it, because others look at me as if I'm being rude when I don't applaud.

ReputationRep:
        I have never clapped at a lecture, nor I ever heard or seen that :erm:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
        Ryan Air flights and Easy Jet flights normally have a lot of people clapping...
        True. But Ryanair play a fanfare when they land successfully too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.