Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Assignment Grading (Merit/Distinction) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ½+½)
    Copied and pasted this from my UCAS app. 60 credits at level 3, Access to Science:

Human Biology - Units of Life - 6 Creds
    Human Biology - Circulatory & Respiratory Systems - 6 Creds
    Human Biology - Biochemistry - 6 Creds
    Human Biology - Digestive System - 3 Creds
    Human Biology - Homeostasis - 3 Creds
    Human Biology - Genetics - 3 Creds
    Human Biology - Health and Disease - 3 Creds
    Human Biology - Micro-nutrient Research - 3 Creds

Chemistry - Laboratory Skills - 6 Creds
    Chemistry - Investigative Skills - 6 Creds
    Chemistry - Chemical Trends - 3 Creds
    Chemistry - Practical Organic Chemistry - 3 Creds

Core - 9 Creds
    I can clearly see you are doing a lot of relevant Science there 1/2 + 1/2 and that will really help you for what you have applied for at University.
    I recognise Organic chemistry on your list.I did 6 credits in that specific topic area a few years ago and found it to be very hard but at the same time very fascinating 1/2 + 1/2 but when i did Science a few years back, all that you could get was a pass grade.I need to update myself this year with a few more science modules/credits for the type of degree i want to do.Good luck 1/2 + 1/2 with all that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how fixed in stone the assignment grades are anyway. I got an assignment back yesterday and it was graded as M-M-M; I was disappointed to say the least. I felt I had achieved distinctions in 2/3 of the grade descriptors. The tutor's written feedback comments didn't make much sense to me either, so I asked him to explain what I had done wrong in more detail so that I can avoid the same mistakes next time.

After a discussion with him, in which I explained my logic for the way I had completed certain aspects of my work, the grade was changed to M-D-D. I feel M-D-D fairly reflects the quality of work I submitted and the effort I put in.

So I am pretty pleased with that as this assignment goes towards a 3-credit module, so it is essential to try and get as many 'D' grades as possible so that I can score an overall distinction.

Several other people also had their mark 'upgraded' after a discussion, with our tutor admitting that he does like to start out quite 'tough' with his marking.

I'm starting to get a bit stressed about gaining the 25 distinctions required for my best offer so far; as looking at the list of subjects we haven't covered yet I know there are areas which I will struggle in as well (algebra for example!).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.