Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibee)
    You're not eligible to apply for financial support if you have an ELQ or are you talking about an ideal situation?
    You are quite right. ELQ students do not get any financial support.

The Open University gives support to low income students and this tapers of up to earnings of £30k where I suppose you get very little.

But support for those who already have a degree is limited to the following:

Discretionary funding

Some discretionary funding is available for students who have a household income of less than £16,845 (plus allowances) in England or Northern Ireland or £16,865 (plus allowances) in Wales and meet one of the following criteria:

* are studying towards a named foundation degree
    * are in receipt of, or are eligible for, a Disabled Students' Allowance
    * have previously been awarded funding by The Open University towards a second degree-level qualification and are continuing to work towards the same qualification (having successfully completed courses they have previously received support towards).
    (I found this by looking at http://css2.open.ac.uk/fafcalculator/eligibility.aspx)

Note that this is the direct financial support that the student sees. I do not know how much support is given directly to the Open University for each undergraduate non-ELQ student. As you could argue that currently the OU is supporting ELQ students by waiving the difference.

I think that one thing that makes the Open University different is the fact that there are no entrance requirements, so they do not choose between students. I imagine that if they had a higher than normal number of applications for a course they just take on more tutors for that year (a lot of tutors are on short term contracts I believe and some do alternate years). So the Open University don't choose how many ELQ students they get, or the proportion. This probably makes it difficult for them to predict the income from the government each year.

My concern (and the answer to the original thread question) is that the course prices may need to be increased to cover the cost of the loss of funding for ELQ students. My secondary concern is that the cost will be shared by those students without degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DouglasBrown)
    But support for those who already have a degree is limited to the following:
    I doubt there's many current ELQ students who fit the criteria!

I do not know how much support is given directly to the Open University for each undergraduate non-ELQ student. As you could argue that currently the OU is supporting ELQ students by waiving the difference.
    I believe the answer to the first part is none (which is why the science department is up the creek) and the second part is what's happening.

My concern (and the answer to the original thread question) is that the course prices may need to be increased to cover the cost of the loss of funding for ELQ students. My secondary concern is that the cost will be shared by those students without degrees.
    Both valid concerns, the OU or ELQ students need support in some form.

ReputationRep:
    Has there been any news of rises?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alves888)
    Has there been any news of rises?
    Only for the 2011 academic year.

ReputationRep:
    Have they said the fees will treble in 2012 or have they not commented on it?

ReputationRep:
    There's been no comment, we'll probably have to wait til next year.

ReputationRep:
    Typical

ReputationRep:
    I cannot see Open University fees trebling. More likely they will consolidate their efforts on a smaller set of core courses and subjects and benefit from their scale.

If there is a significant increase in fees then I would hope that existing students (i.e. those part way through a course would be treated fairly). Remember that in a full time university the course fees only change for new entrants.

ReputationRep:
    Well in 2010 they were £650 and now their £700. Bare in mind that the Open University have had half their funding cut by the Government.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that the impact is that low income part time students are now treated in the same way as low income full time students.

This means that there will no longer be 'grants' for OU courses and instead the students will have to go though the student loan system. Paying it back when they ear more than 21k

http://www8.open.ac.uk/platform/news...A=pf0910os_193

It is an interesting development, because on the one hand it could be considered 'fair' as now all students are treated the same. However if you look at the comments on that link part time students who previously received grants rather than loans are obviously upset.

The 'half their funding cut by the Government' point I think needs more clarification. I would like to know how that breaks down. There are two types of funding:

1) Funding that the student sees (e.g. paying the course fee, grants to buy computer equipment etc.)
    2) Funding that the student does not see (e.g. the subsidy that allows the OU to charge a lower fee to U.K. Students)

I believe for number 2 they must send details of all eligible students (i.e. UK students without degrees) and they receive some money back.

Also I would be interested to see if the rules on EU students change. Is it going to be made unlawful for a country to charge different fees to different students based on which country they come from? This would also have a big impact as the fees would need to be averaged out.

In some countries they already charge the same wherever you are from. Including Denmark, where all EU students pay no fees at all (even for MSc degrees)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifemagic)
    Not sure if my thinking is simplistic ...

When you look at the course costs at the minute, there are two prices, one for 'domestic/home' students, and one for foreign (which is higher). This is explained on the OU site by saying that the government subsidises courses for UK students, but foreign must pay in full.

So logically, to know what any particular course will cost when the subsidy is cancelled, just look at the foreign cost now, and that's what we'll pay in the future (as foreigners in our own country!).

Work out which courses have the most subsidy, and do them before all this happens.
    This post seems to have been ignored, but makes eminent sense. Does anyone know any reasons why this should not be the case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigFudamental)
    This post seems to have been ignored, but makes eminent sense. Does anyone know any reasons why this should not be the case?

Thanks for pointing it out, it does give an idea of what the fees "might" be....

I'm going to do 120 from Oct at level 3 to get a BSc (soc sci) so I can avoid the possible £500 per module fee increase

(but now the OU have introduced their LLM... arrgghh decisions decisions....!)

ReputationRep:
    or boy have they gone up

now £5 k per 120 ponts starting on 2012 my only joy is as an ongoing student I dont have to pay these fees till 2017

but get ill one year or cant contiune due to illness and Im stuffed and on the new student price sturcture

if I was younger and had the choce is 5 k for OU and 9k for brick id go for brick any day

how can some teach yourself books a tutorial once every 6 weeks if you are lucky and a moderated forum be worth £2500 if you are doing a 60 pointer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.